Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Shop Manuals in PDF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Stapler
Would any of you that have the Shop Manuals in PDF be kind enough to send them to me?

Thanks
blitZ
I have a copy. It's 230mb, I'll try and post it somewhere this evening.
ericread
popcorn[1].gif That would be cool...

Please let me know where you post the file.

Eric Read
blitZ
Here ya go.

914 Manual
CliffBraun
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 25 2008, 02:57 PM) *

Here ya go.

914 Manual

MartyYeoman
Error 404 Page not found.
blitZ
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Nov 25 2008, 06:39 PM) *

Error 404 Page not found.

oops, it's fixed.
ericread
Outstanding smilie_pokal.gif

My thanks!!!

Eric Read
Stapler
[quote name='blitZ' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:57 PM' post='1105458']
Here ya go.

914 Manual
[/quote

Thank you so very much for posting the manual. If my engineering skills or my CNC machining centers can be of use to the community let me know. I would be happy to pay forward the kindness.

Thanks again,

JV
kconway
Interesting thread. I few threads down everyone's backing Jake and Len because someone has stole there patented work.

Whats the difference?
ericread
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 25 2008, 06:28 PM) *

Interesting thread. I few threads down everyone's backing Jake and Len because someone has stole there patented work.

Whats the difference?

Hmmmmmmmmm..... I didn't do it...

Eric laugh.gif

rusty914
it's not working for me confused24.gif
ericread
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 25 2008, 06:33 PM) *

Whats the difference?

Eric laugh.gif

Actually, it is my belief that these manuals are out of print. By that, I mean that there are no new copies being printed, published or sold by Porsche at this time. Therefore, the copyright owner (Porsche) would experience no apparent damage through the public release of this information, regardless of the media in which it was released. Additionally, since these cars are ~35 years old, there are no "trade secrets" that would be disclosed by the release of these documents.

Therefore, I really don't see any possible damages to Porsche in this case. The difference in the Jake/Len situation is that the "intellectual art" perffected by Jake and Len is recent, and has current financial value.

However, the acquisition and reverse engineering of technology is pretty much an accepted practice in today's business world. If, in fact, Jake and Len do require each and every customer to sign a non-disclosure agreement prior to purchase, then release of this information would seem to be actionable by Jake and Len.

So I really don't see these two items as comparable in a significant way.

Just my $.02

Eric Read
ericread
QUOTE(rusty914 @ Nov 25 2008, 06:51 PM) *

If you get a blank screen once you click on the link, it's probably downloading in the background. Click on the control-alt-delete keys and then click on the network tab. If your network activity is above 2 1/2 percent then be patient, it is downloading.

Eric
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 25 2008, 07:11 PM) *

Whats the difference?

Eric laugh.gif

Actually, it is my belief that these manuals are out of print. By that, I mean that there are no new copies being printed, published or sold by Porsche at this time. Therefore, the copyright owner (Porsche) would experience no apparent damage through the public release of this information, regardless of the media in which it was released. Additionally, since these cars are ~35 years old, there are no "trade secrets" that would be disclosed by the release of these documents.

Therefore, I really don't see any possible damages to Porsche in this case. The difference in the Jake/Len situation is that the "intellectual art" perffected by Jake and Len is recent, and has current financial value.

However, the acquisition and reverse engineering of technology is pretty much an accepted practice in today's business world. If, in fact, Jake and Len do require each and every customer to sign a non-disclosure agreement prior to purchase, then release of this information would seem to be actionable by Jake and Len.

Just my $.02

Eric Read

You ask Porsche about that? I don't think they'd follow your reasoning. In fact, I'd bet on it .............. I've been on the receiving end of their "big stick". You don't wanna be there, trust me. Ask John Dunkle, former owner of a site from which all this came from. The Cap'n
Katmanken
So who is Stapler and what does he mean to those who post PDF's?

Ken
Chris Hamilton
Maybe these should at least be posted in the sandbox so it isn't publicly accessible?
kconway

Whats the difference?

Eric laugh.gif

Just my $.02

Eric Read

I don't think copyright ever expires. You can't duplicate copyrighted materials without consent of the owner of the copyright, nothing new there ask the folks over at NAPSTER. The two are only the same in that someone is taking something they clearly didn't pay for or have consent to duplicate.
CliffBraun

Whats the difference?

Eric laugh.gif

Just my $.02

Eric Read

Well, Porsche has a leg to stand on in court.

Erm the NDA is an issue, but I dunno if they can deny you the right of first sale even with an NDA and the person you sell it to isn't bound by it.

Either way the person doing reverse engineering never signed said NDA.
Spoke
I don't have to worry about copyrights because I'm copying it through a chinese server.
rusty914
got it biggrin.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 25 2008, 07:15 PM) *

Whats the difference?

Eric laugh.gif

Just my $.02

Eric Read

You ask Porsche about that? I don't think they'd follow your reasoning. In fact, I'd bet on it .............. I've been on the receiving end of their "big stick". You don't wanna be there, trust me. Ask John Dunkle, former owner of a site from which all this came from. The Cap'n

You may be right oh Krusty One, but the dissimination of documentation without material gain, of which has been discontinued by the original copyright holder, for the personal gain only of legal purchasers of the end product would seemingly be hard to prosecute. If this were being provided for material gain, or for use in selling one or more products for material gain, that would be an altogether different story.

Since March 1, 1989 copyright notice has been optional. Before that date, copyright notice was mandatory and a work published with no copyright notice risked loss of copyright protection if not corrected within a specified period of time. Since there is no indication of copyright notice or correction within these documents, and since this manual was created and published prior to March 1, 1989, there is no indication of copyright protection.

HOWEVER, the works were created in Germany and German law may be more protective or original authors. I guess if we see a cease and desist order from Porsche, we'll have a much better idea...

Again, only my $.02

Eric
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 25 2008, 07:38 PM) *

I don't think copyright ever expires. You can't duplicate copyrighted materials without consent of the owner of the copyright, nothing new there ask the folks over at NAPSTER. The two are only the same in that someone is taking something they clearly didn't pay for or have consent to duplicate.

In this case, if there is no copyright on the manual, then it is public domain (assuming it was published prior to 1977). If there is a copyright on it, then it is protected by copyright for 95 years from the date it was published.
blitZ
I'm going to delete the file tomorrow, so if you want it, get it now.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Nov 25 2008, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(kconway @ Nov 25 2008, 07:38 PM) *

In this case, if there is no copyright on the manual, then it is public domain (assuming it was published prior to 1977). If there is a copyright on it, then it is protected by copyright for 95 years from the date it was published.

Blah blah blah, if Porsche hasn't protected their rights but, as Krusty says, they have. It's not a big deal in this case, but by the letter of the law I'd be very certain it's infringement.
CliffBraun
I'd also like to say thank you. I was gonna have to go scan all of them myself.
This is so cool, I know how all of my electrics are supposed to work and what I can remove.
Todd Enlund
Well, since Haynes and Pelican have both published info from the Porsche shop manual, I'm going to guess that it is in the public domain. So, I downloaded it, and I extend my thanks.
ericread
I originally downloaded the manual. Many thanks!!!

But after much thought, I immediately deleted the download (wink, wink, nod, nod).

Again, thanks to all!! And my wishes for a safe holiday!

Eric Read wavey.gif

Chevota79
Is it gone sad.gif
E-Man
Can someone please e-mail it to emdugan@yahoo.com?

Don't respond here.
ellisor3
I gave up on it last night, had to get some sleep. could someone shoot it to ellisor3@comcast.net as well. No need to reply. Much thanks pray.gif

Ellisor
Chevota79
Would a kind soul send it to Joshuaktaylor@yahoo.com

Thanks

ericread
Keep in mind that it was on the order of a 230MB zipped file. Not many email systems will allow that large of a message to propogate.

Eric

davep
QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 26 2008, 11:10 AM) *

Not many email systems will allow that large of a message to propogate.

Yes, especially if you have a mailbox of 10 MB or so.
ellisor3
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 26 2008, 02:15 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 26 2008, 11:10 AM) *

Not many email systems will allow that large of a message to propogate.

Yes, especially if you have a mailbox of 10 MB or so.

Yep, good point. Mine is only 10mb. It is a shame it is gone, to bad it did not get posted somewhere undisclosed """.
CliffBraun
I may or may not be able to host this some(or no)where. It might involve a username and password. It would certainly(or possibly) not get posted somewhere that every(or no)one can see. PM me (or not) and we might be able to work something out.

I'm not at home so I can't do it (or not) until the end of the weekend at the earliest.
ThinAir
QUOTE(Chevota79 @ Nov 26 2008, 08:53 AM) *

Is it gone sad.gif

Bummer! headbang.gif
CliffBraun
QUOTE(ThinAir @ Nov 27 2008, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Chevota79 @ Nov 26 2008, 08:53 AM) *

Is it gone sad.gif

Bummer! headbang.gif

See my post above.
Wilhelm
Check this site out:

http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm

Couple of different Porsche type manuals.

BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(rusty914 @ Nov 25 2008, 09:04 PM) *

got it biggrin.gif

Please, please, please... anyone have "The good book". My email server will hold 5GB; should be okay. PM me anytime! drooley.gif
mojorisen914
I really need it too but here's my predicament; since I'm over here in the sandbox and I can only download about 50mb per day without risking the chance of really getting in some serious trouble, I won't be able to download it until the 22nd of this month while I'm at home on vacation. Is there anyway possible for me to get it from someone at that time???
I get to work on my teener while I'm home and the "Bible" would really come in handy.
Any suggestions??

Thanks.
mojorisen914
UPDATE:

My buddy Jim from Wyoming is bringing the pdf files when he comes to visit.

Thanks.
Slider
id be willing to host it on my server..let me know
mojorisen914
Slider,

If he forgets to bring his hard drive; I might take you up on your offer. Thanks man!
number6
QUOTE(rusty914 @ Nov 25 2008, 06:51 PM) *

Not working for me either. Did the file get pulled?

**OOPS! didn't realize this was a month-old thread! DUH!**
ConeDodger
Porsche does care. They charge a monthly fee to shops for the rights to download FSM files. I believe the fee is nominal but the 914 manual is among the available manuals. For this reason, I think anyone who makes it available online is risking a kick in the pants from Porsche. That will hurt...
bdstone914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 9 2008, 08:48 PM) *

Porsche does care. They charge a monthly fee to shops for the rights to download FSM files. I believe the fee is nominal but the 914 manual is among the available manuals. For this reason, I think anyone who makes it available online is risking a kick in the pants from Porsche. That will hurt...

Very true. I have seen copies that were pulled from Ebay as possible copy right infringements. It does not matter if they are still in print or not. I think copy rights are good for 99 years and can then be renewed.

Slider
Then how do sites like http://pdftown.com/ get away with it? there are a bunch of service manuals on there. if somebody wants they can put the file up there.

shoot if they dont want to i will just send it to chris@togobeyond.net and dont worry about the size it should go through its my own domain. and i will submit it. not all of us are independently wealthy to be able to drop $$$$ for the manual set.
BRAVE_HELIOS
QUOTE(Slider @ Dec 10 2008, 09:41 AM) *

Then how do sites like http://pdftown.com/ get away with it? there are a bunch of service manuals on there. if somebody wants they can put the file up there.

shoot if they dont want to i will just send it to chris@togobeyond.net and dont worry about the size it should go through its my own domain. and i will submit it. not all of us are independently wealthy to be able to drop $$$$ for the manual set.

I now know of two sites that have manuals for download. They have most of the Porsche models... except for the 914! Why is that? huh.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 9 2008, 09:59 PM) *

Very true. I have seen copies that were pulled from Ebay as possible copy right infringements. It does not matter if they are still in print or not. I think copy rights are good for 99 years and can then be renewed.

In the US, copyright duration is typically the life of the author plus 70 years, after which it passes into public domain. Work that is published by a corporation and in compliance with US copyright laws is protected for 95 years from the date of publication.

The manual in question appears to have been published in 1974, and does not appear to have a copyright notice. This would place it into the public domain if it were published in the US, but it was not. It was published in Germany.

I am not familiar with German copyright law. I suspect that the manual is in the public domain, but IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), nor would I care to test Porsche's legal staff. I am sure that is eBay's position as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.