Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What brakes can I use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Ok guys! Time for antoher one of my 'dumb rookie' questions.

What brake calipers are applicable to my 914?

I don't want to use the originals, and I'm turning it into a GT. Any seperate years or models I can use?

Please, endow your knowledge upon me pray.gif
davep
Why not the originals?
What are you using for an engine?
What are your plans for using the car?
The GT used 911 S calipers up front and vented 914/6 on the rear; that is plenty for a 200 HP car ( the early 930 used the same combination essentially).
RiqueMar
Well, for right now I'm sticking with a 2 liter, but in the immediate future, I'll be upgrading atleast to a 3 liter.

I want to know which are applicable, so as to know what to look for and such.
davep
Well then the "S" brakes should be adequate. Look for front struts with the 3.5" caliper mount spacing, and calipers to suit. Vented rotors front and rear.
Ericv1
911 "M's" or "A's" should bolt up as well. But I agree, the originals do a fine job.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Ericv1 @ Nov 25 2008, 05:59 PM) *

911 "M's" or "A's" should bolt up as well. But I agree, the originals do a fine job.

Is there anything else that will "fit"?
davep
To use the 911 calipers on the front you should use 911 struts and the 5-bolt system that comes with them. This is particularly true of the "S" aluminum caliper or the iron equivalent "A" caliper that requires a 911S strut with 3.5" mounting. The "M" caliper has 3" bolt spacing as does the original 914/4 calipers, but after that it is a bit complicated. The usual result of getting bigger brakes is getting 5 bolt system which means new rims and tires. It is a slippery slope. What you need to do is to plan things out and make a budget. A lot of these changes may not fit in your budget. Decide the budget first, then we can determine what makes sense within the limits.
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif If you just use good pads you will be surprised as to how well they stop the car. I had Porterfelds(sp?) on my 4 with stock brakes and it would lock em up on demand. Now if you want to spend the money you can go the route I did and do the five lug with S fronts and M rears with 911 ebrake setup but you are talking about a lot of money for this.
davep
Oh yes, one more major point. If you go with more powerful brakes you must upgrade your tires as well; if not you just lock up and wear flat-spots in your tires, not to mention that you will not stop as fast if you start skidding. As Jake would say "It's all in the combo". It is like an all or nothing package. Having too much braking power can be as bad as not having enough; both can be dangerous situations.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 26 2008, 01:22 PM) *

Oh yes, one more major point. If you go with more powerful brakes you must upgrade your tires as well; if not you just lock up and wear flat-spots in your tires, not to mention that you will not stop as fast if you start skidding. As Jake would say "It's all in the combo". It is like an all or nothing package. Having too much braking power can be as bad as not having enough; both can be dangerous situations.

He will have the tire if he is going GT flares. I am guessing he will have 205 minimum and most likely 225s. However, Good pads will still work well with stck calipers on his car. It gets expensive fast when going up on brakes.
Eric_Shea
It is a slippery slope.

When talking 914 brakes and "upgrades" it doesn't get any better than that statement.

I would do exactly what Dave and Jon recommend herein. Spend some decent dough on awesome pads for now. Make a budget and save your Ben's for a strut conversion once the flares are on the car.

Also... start looking now for some -6 calipers. You can go other routes but in the end, they all cost average the same. If you're lucky you may find the -6 calipers for the $6-700 range in need of a rebuild. Ferrari calipers can still be had for $250 each but they need a dual bleeder modification.
9146FAN
I used Bilstein struts with 3.5" spacing. Calipers are 944 Turbo, they were modified by about 8mm at the mounting holes to fit the stuts. Stock 914.6 hubs, rotors and dust sheilds. No idea about performance cause it's not runnin yet, but I'll comment on that later (hopefully). I'm using Fuchs 7X16 and everything clears with no problem.

Rear's (sorry no pics) will be stock 6 calipers and rotors (thanks again Eric).

You didn't mention any budget, but you can pretty much guess by lookin...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
RiqueMar
Luckily, my Dad is a 914 fanatic, so finding the struts was a simple matter of going through the pile of old parts. I swear, he could build 2 or 3 914´s as of right now.

Yay for 911´s with 5 lugs!
rfuerst911sc
My 2 cents for what that's worth biggrin.gif I have a 75 chassis that I'm converting to a /6 with a 911 3.0 engine. I have converted to 911 front struts 3 inch spacing and running M calipers with 20mm thick vented rotors. In the rear I've converted to 911 5 lug with 911 E-brake and M calipers also with 20mm vented rotors.. I am not running a proportioning valve just a tee. Also installed a 19mm master cylinder and all new brakes lines from the master cylinder to the calipers. I fully expect this setup to whoa just fine biggrin.gif This is basically the same setup I have on my 83SC and I have no problems with that heavier car at AX's or DE's. I'm guessing I may have to play around with pads to get good forward/rear bias but I don't think that will be a show stopper. I have 16x7 and 16x8 Fuchs and BBS wheels that I'll probably have 225 + 245 tires so traction should not be an issue. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. beerchug.gif
RiqueMar
Correction. Cleaned out the spare parts area, my Dad took the 911 Struts and such, but it's cool, because I havethe struts that are being replaced, originally from an actual 6
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.