Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BK911
Is this possible? Or is it just easier to remove the whole package? If possible, how is the engine supported without the tranny?

Thanks,
BK
EdwardBlume
It can be done. The engine can be supported by a floor jack or jack stand. There's a balance point on the rear center of the block. Loosen the front engine bolts so you can angle the engine down. Empty the transmission oil before taking it out.

IMHO, I like taking the whole thing out if you have the time. Its not that hard and is much easier to reinstall.
ericread
Piece of cake! I just did it last weekend, and I'm no genius with a wrench. Follow the Pelican Parts clutch repair article regarding the tranny removal process:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace1.htm

The only PIA for me was getting the old CV bolts loose. Once I got past that, everything else was easy!!!

Eric Read

wavey.gif
r_towle
For clutch and tranny work its done all the time.
Its pretty straight forward.

I use a screw jack under the motor so I can adjust the angle of the motor.
The jack goes under the rear of the motor just in front of the tranny.
the front of the motor is held up by the existing engine mount.

RIch
IronHillRestorations
I'd also loosen the motor mounts. The first time I did a clutch job like this, I further weakend an already old rubber mount and it broke within two weeks of the clutch job.
BK911
Thanks guys. I was looking at it and it looked pretty simple, but I've thought that before!
Dave_Darling
The only hard part, I found, was lining up the transmission to put it back onto the motor. While lifting it up. And getting the input shaft splines to line up with the clutch disk splines.

It's not that awful, but it does seem like you need three hands at times.

Oh, and don't forget--that one starter bolt is removed from inside the engine bay! (You'll know that bolt when you get to it.)

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.