Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lightened flywheel and streetability?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
I've changed my plans for a V8 conversion and decided to stay with a hopped up 2.0 instead. I'm considering a lightened flywheel since my impression of these engines is that they're somewhat doggy off idle. The drawback, of course is that standing starts become more of a challenge due to the lack of "flywheel effect".

In a competition environment this isn't much of an issue because hopefully you only have to do it once, but in a driver, especially in city traffic this could be an issue if you have to rev the engine and slip the clutch every time you want to get under way. Anyone got any experience with lightened flywheels in a 2.0 and want to shine some light on the issue?

Tom
Root_Werks
The lighter your flywheel and the bigger displacement your engine is, the rougher it will idle.

Also, if you have a high torque starter and aluminum flywheel be careful. I had a starter knock a couple teeth off the flywheel.

If you don't go too light, thier great for street cars.
Bleyseng
depends on how much lbs is taken off. Mine just revs up faster....
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Nov 26 2008, 06:49 AM) *

Also, if you have a high torque starter and aluminum flywheel be careful. I had a starter knock a couple teeth off the flywheel.

Ouch! I've always wondered why, when a flywheel and starter gear clash it's always the difficult change-out flywheel that takes the hit rather than the easy change-out starter. Thanks for the response.

Tom
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 26 2008, 07:23 AM) *

depends on how much lbs is taken off. Mine just revs up faster....

do you have any machining specs?
r_towle
Flywheel lightening is not a black art...its actually pretty straight forward.

Our flywheels are unique in one aspect. The measurement and relationship between the flange that the pressure plate bolts to and the flywheel friction surface needs to remain within specs...

I have seen many super light flywheels with a majority of the material between the pressure plate mounting bolts removed.

You get to light and you need to feather the gas pedal at idle just to keep in running.
11 Lbs is probably the limit of how low I would suggest on a street/autox car.
8-9lbs is on a race car with a race clutch.

I believe the stock flywheel is around 16lbs.

Rich
Chris Hamilton
My flywheel is about 10lbs, and I have a sachs aluminum pressure plate. Pretty nice for street driving.
914werke
Plug .. Flywheel FS wub.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 26 2008, 11:45 AM) *

Plug .. Flywheel FS wub.gif

I also have one that I have tried to sell over the years.....and your plug is a shameless plug...but a great price for the poster...go get that one..is cheaper than the machine work to lighten it.

Rich
Borderline
I have a lightened flywheel on my 1911 and it drives great! I highly recommend it! driving.gif
Cheapsnake
Thanks for the offers guys, but I've got a new multi-purpose machine that I've just got to use on the one I've got. Then, after I totally f**k that one up I'll be in touch. confused24.gif

Tom
Mark Henry
Do not take weight off of the backside of the friction surface.

hydroliftin
Tom,

When I rebuilt my 2.0 I had the machinist lighten the stock flywheel. Not sure how much was taken off, but not extreame. I have not noticed any issues with getting the car moving off the line, but it does rev easier. I would recomend it.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 26 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Good to know, so everything off the friction surface?
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Nov 26 2008, 07:41 AM) *

My flywheel is about 10lbs, and I have a sachs aluminum pressure plate. Pretty nice for street driving.

Don't forget the clutch.... I have the same set up but with a KEP pressure plate and I love it. It rev's so nicely, I have no problem driving it even on my dying tranny.
davep
UH, no. Most is removed from the outer ring. The working surface needs it, and the more mass removed as far from the center as possible is better.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Nov 26 2008, 01:08 PM) *

Do NOT take weight off of the backside of the friction surface.

You run the risk of warpage if you do.
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 26 2008, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Nov 26 2008, 01:08 PM) *

Do NOT take weight off of the backside of the friction surface.

You run the risk of warpage if you do.

Of if anyone wants to go that route I've got one pre-warped they can buy, save themselves the trouble of mounting it and having to warp it themselves. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.