Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vinyl colorants
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
I'm considering using a vinyl colorant to change the color of my interior. Has anyone used these with any success?
I want to spend my money on other more important mechanicals. I can't afford a new interior this year.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dlestep @ Nov 27 2008, 10:03 PM) *

I'm considering using a vinyl colorant to change the color of my interior. Has anyone used these with any success?
I want to spend my money on other more important mechanicals. I can't afford a new interior this year.

Not that I recommend these, nut change the color from what to what?
'73-914kid
popcorn[1].gif
I need to dye yellow accents on my steering wheel black.
tracks914
How does this look in gray, black & Stainless Steel? So far so good but you have to prep the vinyl properly or it won't stick.
I bought 1/2 car that had a white interior colour change and it was on there really good.
dlestep
My car hasn't told me what color it wants to be as yet.
If I choose any of the greens, reds, yellows, black or white the interior can remain tan.
If I choose any of the blues, oranges, greys or silver, the interior will have to be in black. Although tan was used in several silver 550s and 356s.

Every time I feel I have settled on a color, either that day or soon after I see SUVs, and POSs and Japanese cars all over the place with the same color.

The only colors that seem not to be "all over" are any of the greens or oranges, and black (very few because of the temperatures in the summer here).

I have a chrome yellow 72 911 but I am tired of yellow. I've had it for 12 years.
I had a white 73 914 with black interior, and it was mundane after six years.
I have visualized dark grey for the last four years and now every kind of vehicle on the road is dark grey, and it's getting old.

I'm considering silver and black, but don't tell anyone. I wouldn't want it to get out, and probably tomorrow, when I stop at a light, there will be seven silver cars at the intersection...
Slick914
SEM Colorcoat is usually the top rated product and I have used it with great results. As mentioned surface prep and application is the key to good results. I usually do a thorough cleaning job, then I wipe down with denatured alcohol. Before I spray the SEM Colorcoat, I use an adhesion promoter. I like Klean-Strip Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, but there are other brands as well. Then I spray the Colorcoat. The key to applying the colorcoat is thin coats. When I spray it doesn't fully cover until about the fourth coat. This way you don't lose any grain detail and it is virtually impossible to notice that it has been sprayed. Here's a couple pics of my results...

This car I sprayed everything except the door panels. Seats, interior plastic side panels, dash, dash pad, and center console were all sprayed...

IPB Image
IPB Image

I also sprayed the dash and dash pad in my Chevelle...

IPB Image

I just recently sprayed some items for my 914, but they are not installed yet. Color change from brown to black...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

dlestep
Phil and Doug...that really looks better than I imagined. I was worried about uniform texture and sheen. I will be testing it on a couple of spare pieces, thanks to the both of you for your input...
Dave
tracks914
The dash, pillars, roll bar, door pockets (bottom 1/2 gray) and console were painted with the vinyl paint. The door panel is new gray vinyl. The dash top is new black vinyl. The back pad is material to match the seats.
Root_Werks
I have used a product before that came with a cleaner that worked so well, we changed a 914 from black to Porsche linnen color and it would NOT come off! Amazing stuff. Cost about $80 for cleaner and enough to color dash pads, rear pad, door panels and seats.

I don't think this is the stuff, but same concept:
http://www.leatherworldtech.com/category.a...CFQv7agodMX9u_A
Root_Werks
This one might be it as they have Porsche color charts:

http://www.leathermagic.com/Pages/colorcharts.htm
my928s4
I concur on the SEM, the interior of my 928 was originally burgundy (it is a personal thing but I could not stand it), anyway the dash was sprayed with SEM and it is held up really well, although if you scratch the surface with something sharp the original color will show.

Click to view attachment

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.