Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The moment of truth nears.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DuckRyder
Considering I started with something somebody else took apart 15 years ago, I think It turned out O.K..

IPB Image

IPB Image

A few minor details to clear up and I'm going to be gone for several weeks after next weeks, so Firing it off will probably wait till after I get back, but it goes in Sunday.

I know most of you have better and nicer, but I had to share. biggrin.gif
red914
speaking as someone who does not have better or nicer, allow me to say that you rock! i hope to be able to put together something like that someday. please post a photo of the whole enchilada after it is installed. clap56.gif pray.gif beerchug.gif
brant
Is the tin work notched because of a previous A/C?
(I ask because mine has the same thing)...

and I guess what I really want to know is= would it be easier to replace or repair (weld on a patch) to close off this piece...

looks pretty darn nice I'd say.
tia
brant
DuckRyder
Yes it is Cut for A/C. Butcher Job on that whole install it was..........

That's one of the "Details".

What we need is that Carbon Fibre we talked about..... biggrin.gif

I was wanting to keep the other engine intact, but I may pull that part of the tin off of it, or may (probably will) fabricate a temporary patch.
DNHunt
Looks great. I wish I had the courage to try something like that. See if you can get some of the magic smoke JP talks about. I'm a great believer in that.

Dave
SirAndy
replace that missing piece if you don't have the AC anymore.

also, take all the sheetmetal off again and get that fan-shroud cleaned up and powdercoated!!! smash.gif

good work otherwise wink.gif
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
bernbomb914
I picked up the pieces to start the assembly process. every thing has been checked for clearence. Now we start the assembly. I hope it all comes out as a good 2270 for my little yellow bomb. Also we started to replace the passenger side rear suspension ear. that is going to be a tough project.

Bernie
DuckRyder
get that fan-shroud cleaned up and powdercoated!!!

That is cleaned up belive it or not. ohmy.gif
swood
HA! You guys are too predictable. This is precisely why I cleaned up my fan shroud and painted it (with cheap hi-temp engine paint) so you guys wouldn't bitch about it when I posted the same picture of my completed motor. Sheesh, you only see the top part of it anyways. Doesn't really matter. But, while your there...

laugh.gif laugh.gif
EdwardBlume
Nice job. They all look so nice before you drive the hell out of them!!! cool.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Good job Robert. Looks great. Keep us up to date smilie_pokal.gif
Eric Taylor
It looks great, forget the small crap. Cleaning never was important smile.gif
Eric
lmcchesney
Looks nice.
Tell me, how did you get the empi engine stand to mate up with the V8 stand. I have the same and have not yet converted the stand.
Thanks,
L. McChesney
DuckRyder
I got the stand from Tweeks (I think) its only redeeming feature is that it was really cheap. Honestly, I think it places way too much stress on the case.

Any way, I took the arms off the V-8 mounting plate and used the plate as a sort of bushing.

I drilled new holes in the Tweeks adapter for the pin and just inserted it. It is still quite loose but it works for a (hopefully) occasional use.
DuckRyder
IT RUN IT RUNS IT RUNS................. mueba.gif mueba.gif
Qarl
Let me be the first to say...

clap56.gif

Good job my fellow 914 friend!!!!
Gint
Congratulations! beerchug.gif
J P Stein
Few things will get the sweat rollin' down the crack of your ass like lightin' off a DIY motor.
I've done a bunch of em', but it still gets my attention.
Congratulations....now go drive it like you stole it laugh.gif
DuckRyder
Yeah, JP you got that right.

I've done several and helped on several, but this is my first Type 4. Did a few T1's with dad when he raced buggies, but they were dead stock 40 horses, and it was a long time ago, helped the friend build the 510, that was his first engine. But all the rest have been V-8's.

Got the 30 min 2800-3200 rpm cam run done and I thnk the neighbor was less than pleased with the open heat exchangers huh.gif

Got to pull them off and get them sent to Racer Chris before my businedd trip, so the driving will have to wait a bit.

I'm stessing about the cam, but knock on wood, I think I might be OK on it, so far so good anyway.
jd74914
You're sending them to Racer Chris. Met him in person, all I can say is : Great Guy, Sweet Cars, Excellent Products!! My nly problem is affording the price of his headers.

Last thing: If it makes you feel better, my garage's owner complained about how loud my 914 was when I ran its engine without a muffler, and threatened to KICK ME (and my car) OUT.

Congrats, engine looks great!!! I wish my engine looked that good welder.gif
DuckRyder
Heat exchangers are back and the exhaust and shift linkage is installed.

I ran it up the road and had no problems. clap56.gif

Have to repair a leaking pushrod tube and we should be headed to the next autocross.

yesterdays project took me away from 914 work for a bit it was a nice change:

IPB Image wub.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
DuckRyder
Got some 914 time today:

Many months much money and plenty of chinese incantations later, we once agin have a running 914.

I have a few things to tidy up, but the rebuilt by me 2.0 is running, it has a new tag and has actually travelled under its own power to the gas station! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SpecialK
Fantastic! Another one comes to life! smilie_pokal.gif

Now, not to sound critical (It'll probably come across more 'dumb-ass' than anything), but what the hell is that crusty/rusty thing with a twisted up ambilical cord hanging in front of your fan?
MattR
Great job on the car. I hope mine turns out like that!!!

Edit: What kind of wheels are those? They look sweet!
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Special_K @ Apr 12 2004, 05:54 PM)
what the hell is that crusty/rusty thing with a twisted up ambilical cord hanging in front of your fan?

That is the D-Jet computer.

No, I didn't paint it black, it was already like that...................................

Yes, it does have rust running out of it, and the spare has been laying on the floor where it periodically floods............. I'm expecting it to fail anytime now...............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.