Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LA Auto Show
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Rick (2-Oh) and I dropped by the LA Auto Show today. Pretty boring (GM, Ford, Chevy - all the same crap). Unfortunately VW/Porsche decided not to unveil the new 914 type roadster ar15.gif . But, they did show this original 550 Spyder. I think this is Jerry Seinfelds car...
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

One of the things I never noticed before is that the entire undercarrige of the car is enclosed...
Click to view attachment

Also, this is where the swingarms come through the chassis. Notice the "bristle" covers behind the wheel...
Click to view attachment

Interior Shot...
Click to view attachment

RS Spyder...
Click to view attachment

The business end...
Click to view attachment

If you plan on attending the trick is to park in the convention center parking not the surrounding parking lots. The convention center parking is $12. The surrounding lots are $20+.

Wes V
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Nov 28 2008, 03:37 PM) *

If you plan on attending the trick is to park in the convention center parking not the surrounding parking lots. The convention center parking is $12. The surrounding lots are $20+.

I avoided parking by taking the Metro line there from my house in the west end of the San Fernando Valley. It was only 5 bucks for a full day of transit!

The only car I saw there that was real cool was the hard-top Pontiac Solstice.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Wes
ahdoman
Yeah, we saw that too Wes but we think it's actually a targa top. Couldn't find anyone to verify it though.
turnaround89
Yea, the new Solstice is a Targa, it was in motor trend or some other magazine like that. I think it looks amazing, fairly inexpensive too!

The weird thing is about the solstice is that it comes with two seperate tops so that when you take the actual one off and leave it in your garage you have a foldable one still in the car (i think) to pull out in case it rains.
Wes V
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Nov 28 2008, 10:23 PM) *

Yeah, we saw that too Wes but we think it's actually a targa top. Couldn't find anyone to verify it though.

I talked to the lady that was working the booth and she said that the hard roof section is removable, however there isn't a place to store it in the car. Notice the seam above and behind the door. (at least on a 914, you can store the roof section)

They provide a cloth cover that can be kept in the car, should it start raining. (think Lotus Elise)

Wes
brp986s
hopefully no solstice owners here, but the front of the solstice looks like it has neurofibromatosis (elephantism). Consumer reports rates them pretty dismal. The styling is overdone so that what initially seems eye-catching soon becomes cartoonish. Also, the top mechanism is crappy, and when down there is barely room for a 'for sale' sign in back. Porsche knows how to do styling so that it becomes timeless. Yeah, I'm biased, but the boxster with the direct injection/pdk box is far better and very tempting.

But the most beautiful car I saw there (besides porsche) was the audi r8. First time I've seen one in person. I loved how you could look thru the deck lid to see the mid engine v8. overall, just an awesome design from all angles. No price was listed, but I'm sure I can't afford it.
carreraguy
I really like the Solstice. Rumor has it that GM is contemplating dropping all Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer lines from their plants. I'll miss the Solstice for sure but not the other two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.