Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 busted a spleen
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I walked in the garage and immediately knew I had a problem. Here's another clue. Can you identify this little part?
Eric Taylor
Galley Plug?
Rand
Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner.

My car had been sitting parked in the garage the past couple weeks, haven't even started it. Today when I walk in the door there is oil all over, coming from under the car.

@#$@%!!

But hey, I'm damn glad it fell out while sitting there instead of while driving!! Go figure.
Rand
So, does anybody have a photo showing exactly where these things go? Can it be fixed with the motor in the car?
DNHunt
I think you're going to need to drop it. Here's pics
Rand
Seems so strange to me it would just fall out while sitting there, having been undisturbed for many days prior. I consider myself really lucky it happened this way and didn't damage the motor.

I'm concerned about repairing this while the motor is together.... I'm not sure just greasing a tap would give me the confidence some shavings aren't going to get inside. Anyone done this? Comments please.

Well, I suppose now's the time to start my engine swap. I'm ready to sell this motor and buy some conversion parts.
914werke
idea.gif
messix
"i coulda had a V8" aktion035.gif
type47
i'm prepared to be flamed for this but.... a shop machined new galley plugs on a vanagon engine i had. also, i put JB Weld over the galley plugs before i installed my engine. maybe that is an option to avoid shavings from tapping the plugs
aircooledtechguy
I had to do this on an aircooled Vanagon engine once. The motor would have to come out. The Vanagon in question came in for a leak and I noticed that one of the rear oil galley plugs was almost out, but wedged between the case and the rear mount bar and leaking (you could see about 1/8" of shiny plug showing)

What I did was tapped it with grease on the tap. Then I used an air gun with a long tip. I stuck the tip fairly deep into the galley and the air blew the stuff right back out the hole (at me, so be aware). It worked well and I did all the main oil galley plugs on that motor just to be sure. You would not believe just how easy those things come out. . . I use steel hex plugs with liquid Permitex thread sealant to seal it all up. The Vanagon is still on the road and has logged about 40K since the repair almost 4 years ago.
Jake Raby
I have a very comprehensive article on this topic posted on my forums and lots of pics are in that thread.

I have installed a threaded galley plug into an assembled engine when this has occurred. Be very careful and use grease on the tap to attract the debris during tapping, then use a shop vac to pull vacuum on the work area, removing most of the stray chips before they get into the oil galleys. If ONE CHIP enters the galleys it's game over for the engine.

These plugs have been installed into the engine for over 30 years, they become dislodged mostly in the winter when oil pressures are higher due to colder, thicker oil. When starting your car in the winter after it fires up don't rev it at all! Also stick your head under the car and ensure you don't have a stream of oil pouring from a dislodged galley plug....

...and at rebuild time ALWAYS replace these problematic plugs with thread in plugs, per my article to ensure that you NEVER have to worry about this again.
Mark Henry
Grease the tap and clean/re-grease often, use a shopvac and clean up with cue tips and such soaked in brake cleaner. Go slow and it will be fine.
If a front galley you can pull the pump, relief plunger and filter stand if you want.

Where is the oil coming from?
My guess is one of the galleys plugs in the top (front) pic, as it was on the floor.

Although a pisser I'd say you're lucky it happened when it did.
Rand
Ok, I'm glad to know it won't require a tear down yet, and isn't expensive or difficult to fix while it's out of the car.

But, since I have to drop it, I'm taking this as a sign that it's time to start the motor swap. So, I'm going to pull the motor and sell it. Off to the classifieds....

Thanks for the input guys.
jhadler
On the topic of taping the galleys...

What are the recommendations on types of threaded plugs? Aluminum? Brass? Steel?

What type of sealant? Or loctite?

All 3/8" NPT?

-Josh2
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jhadler @ Nov 29 2008, 09:21 PM) *

On the topic of taping the galleys...

What are the recommendations on types of threaded plugs? Aluminum? Brass? Steel?

What type of sealant? Or loctite?

All 3/8" NPT?

-Josh2

Steel, I've tried brass and aluminum and both will round out the hex before they're fully tightened.
I've used locktite in the past but I've used locktite liquid teflon for several years now.

The big plugs (5) are 3/8NPT and these are the ones that have issues. You can do the smaller 1/4NPT and 1/8NPT but I don't.

I use WD-40 for cutting lube and you must test fit the plugs to make sure you're deep enough to clear the flywheel...but not too deep.
Rand
For reference, here is Jake's article. He uses steel plugs too. You need to log in as a member to see it...

http://forums.aircooledtechnology.com/showthread.php?t=72
jhadler
I was thinking steel for strength, but aluminum for an equal CTE...

Guess steel then eh... SS or regular Steel...?

-Josh2
Rand
Hey gang, I would appreciate some feedback on the value of this motor.

It has 140,000 miles on it and needs a threaded galley plug installed. It runs perfect, but I think the best thing to do would be to rebuild it - either a 2056 with the included Djet, or upgrade to a 2270.

I was asking $600 for it. I want to be sure I'm giving someone a good deal. What is a fair price?
Mark Henry
It's a lot of miles, but if it has 2.0 heads on it's a very fair price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.