Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on Welding in my Suspension Pieces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
Hello,

I am at the point in my rustoration that I ready to weld in my suspension pickups and I have some questions from the experts here on making sure I get the measurements and alignments correct.

I have completed by inner long, inner wheelhouse and rear long. All are welded in and I have confirmed all the proper measurements and pitch, etc. When I started the project, I built a jig to the do the local measurements on the trailing arm, but I did not do the more advanced jigs that span across the driver/passnger sides that I have seen from threads like Jeff Hail's rustoration or the "Rust Diary" one by Wes Vann.

I have cleaned up my outer pickup and bought the AA inner suspension piece.

MY questions are...

Should I make a full suspension jig from one of my other 914's?

*-- or --*

Can I count on the basic measurements and line things up with a template?

Interested in the opinions here from people who have done this and been sucessful getting thier ride back on the road with it going straight down the road <g/>.

My project is documented @
http://larryj.spaces.live.com/?_c11_BlogPa...%2bEV%2bProject
sean_v8_914
I would go "Jeff Hail" style or make a jig off a known good car. I looked at your thread. your in deep and I would think it might present some difficulties to introduce a jig now but I think it MUST be done to ensure proper alignment
Wes V
Larouex;

I'll give you my cross-bar jig if you can figure out how to have somebody pick it up. (I live in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles)

Since you have been to my site, you should know that it was "indexed" off of the support frame. As a result, you would have to figure out fore and aft dimensions, but that shouldn't be that hard.

Also keep in mind that it was generated off of my car before cutting it apart. It's only as accurate as what the car originally was. There were no notable signs of anything that would indicate a dimensional problem.

Making a jig off of another car would require you to remove all the suspension.

Wes Vann
r_towle
Do you have the car mounted level on a support system of some sort?
Take the time and level the car...exactly side to side.
Front to back is not as important.

measure another car from firewall to ear, and from ear to ear.
Use a magnet to hold the new ear in place...measure from firewall to both ears on the car...this is square going down the road...assume the firewall is square to the centerline of the car.

Up and down is now important.....
Now make sure both sides are level...both ears are level to each other.

Rich
Larouex
I did measure and triangulate everything with my Tram Gauges, so I have all measurements recorded. I have two 914's that I can build a jig from if you'all feel that is required. I do have the car leveled and mounted on my rotisserie and support from below.
Larouex
QUOTE(Wes V @ Nov 29 2008, 08:59 AM) *

Larouex;

I'll give you my cross-bar jig if you can figure out how to have somebody pick it up. (I live in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles)

<< clipped >>

Thanks, you are a little out of my way as I am in Seattle. I would be willing buy it (as I have one more car I want to do) or pay to have it shipped back and forth and compensate you for your time. Your jig could save me a lot of time. Let me know, I can send you money via PayPal.
quadracerx
Hey I live in the Seattle area too...and wouldnt mind give you a hand....even if its moral support...LOL I need to do the same thing to one of my cars as I am building a tube frame eventually....

Steve
Wes V
QUOTE(Larouex @ Nov 29 2008, 10:23 AM) *

Thanks, you are a little out of my way as I am in Seattle. I would be willing buy it (as I have one more car I want to do) or pay to have it shipped back and forth and compensate you for your time. Your jig could save me a lot of time. Let me know, I can send you money via PayPal.

I don't want any money for it as I plan on never doing this again. I don't need (or want) it back!

I just don't want to ship it (it's not the money).

All it would take would be for UPS to drop it to make it totally worthless.

Talk to your friends (or others on this board) to see if anybody can pick it up. It's bulky due to having to go full width of the car.

I think it would be well worth it to get everything tack welded in place and then measure the heck out of it prior to finish welding.

There is no rush deciding on what you want to do, due to it's just sitting in the rafters of the garage.

I'll PM you my phone number and address, but my shipping it is out of the question.

Wes

Larouex
Thanks everyone for the feedback and Wes for his offer of his Jig!

I feel like I have the console in place correctly now and I posted the details on my blog entry. I am sitting on my measurements for several days before I make my final run at it and weld it down.

http://larryj.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!...!2797.entry
PeeGreen 914
Nice aktion035.gif So where in Seattle are you. I sell real estate in the area and am always running around in the Seattle area.
Root_Werks
Hmm, looks like we sucked in another member in the PNW area! biggrin.gif

I can't look at blogs while at work, post some pics when you get a chance. Would love to see the project.

welder.gif
Larouex
Thanks, I went ahead and welded in the piece tonight, it turned out well and I feel very confident I have it positioned correctly.

http://larryj.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!...!2814.entry

Lessons learned...
  • Build a Jig
  • When recovering the outer console wheelhouse, cut it out and then grind off the extra metal. There are so many spot welds that it is difficult to keep the part in tact to plug weld it.

Larouex

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.