Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank / line question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Been browsing a bunch of previous posts, couldn't find what I was looking for.
Car is a 74 2.0. The fuel pump was relocated to the front. I'm in the process of
replaceing all the line under the gas tank and on the pump. Don't like the stuff that they used. All the other lines I replaced under and in the engine bay including the step hose, and the 7x13 german hp braided line.
So, I have the 7x13 high pressure line, but what is the other size line that is required ? All I seen in posts are 3/8 ths. What is the metric size I would need.
I havent pulled the tank, trying to do it from under the car. Is the feed and return lines/nozzles on the tank itself the same or 2 different sizes?
Also taking Cpts suggestion with the metal bmw filters. Other question, The step
hose that is now in place in the rear fender well is going to a filter, and then to the engine bay line. ( car has 2 filters in it now, 1 before the pump, and the later). With metal filters, is that acceptable? I'm under the impression it's not a good idea to use the plastic one back there.

Thanks again

Tod
ericread
7mm and 9mm fuel lines under the fuel tank. Parts "N 020 359 1" and "99918003050". Both are available at Auto Atlanta and Pelican Parts.

Eric Read

tod914
great thanks eric.
davesprinkle
My understanding is that very few, if any, fuel filters are designed to run on the pressure side of the pump. You don't need two filters anyway. Just put one on the inlet and don't run the risk of a blown filter and fuel fire.
tod914
The problem without the 2nd filter in place, I'm pretty certian the step hose will not reach the engine bay plastic line. So not sure what options I have with out it. I suppose I could use a small piece of 5/16" brake line to juntion the lines. Any other solutions?

Thanks
Dave_Darling
If the hose won't fit without the filter in there, get a longer piece of hose. Much better than putting a problem into the line just so it reaches.

--DD
tod914
Dave do you guys have long length step hose? thats the only way I can see doing as you suggested.
davesprinkle
Tod, I feel your pain on this one. The fuel line diameter mis-match is a huge source of frustration when doing the pump relocation. I purchased the expensive Porsche stepped diameter adapter, but found, as you did, that it wasn't long enough to work with my pump location. Here is what I did to resolve the issue:

1. First of all, replace both plastic lines with stainless versions from Racer Chris. However, let him know when you place your order that you want BOTH lines to be the smaller diameter. His standard setup matches the OE diameters -- one large, one small.

2. Find a good TIG welder and have him/her weld on a smaller diameter section of tubing (maybe 2" long) to the fuel tank outlet.

These two changes effectively solve the large diameter problem -- all the fittings and tubing are now the smaller size.

Huge pain in the ass. Good luck with whatever solution you pursue.
-dave
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Nov 30 2008, 05:34 PM) *

My understanding is that very few, if any, fuel filters are designed to run on the pressure side of the pump. You don't need two filters anyway. Just put one on the inlet and don't run the risk of a blown filter and fuel fire.

Many modern cars have the filter after the pump confused24.gif
tod914
I just priced the metal bmw 2002 Tii fuel filters. $54 each. ouch.
Cap'n Krusty
I'll sell you FOUR of 'em for that price, and pick up the shipping. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.