Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust backdate, now sluggish starter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I recently backdated the exhaust on my 75 to 2l heat exchangers & a triad muffler.

Previous to the change the starter would spin normally and the car would start normally.

Now after the backdate the starter is very sluggish (with a fully charged battery) even though it is sluggish the car will fire and run when it occasionally catches.

At first thought I thought maybe there could be blockage in the exhaust but after it ran I am not so sure.

I thought I heard new valve train noise on the passenger side, so just in case I pulled the passenger side spark plugs and test started it with no effect, I'll try the driver side plugs tomorrow.

With the backdate I blocked the EGR, and removed the EGR lead from the old muffler.

Any thoughts?
Dr. Roger
errant detachment of that pesky ground strap from transaxle to body?

QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 29 2008, 09:12 PM) *

I recently backdated the exhaust on my 75 to 2l heat exchangers & a triad muffler.

Previous to the change the starter would spin normally and the car would start normally.

Now after the backdate the starter is very sluggish (with a fully charged battery) even though it is sluggish the car will fire and run when it occasionally catches.

At first thought I thought maybe there could be blockage in the exhaust but after it ran I am not so sure.

I thought I heard new valve train noise on the passenger side, so just in case I pulled the passenger side spark plugs and test started it with no effect, I'll try the driver side plugs tomorrow.

With the backdate I blocked the EGR, and removed the EGR lead from the old muffler.

Any thoughts?

orange914
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Nov 29 2008, 09:34 PM) *

errant detachment of that pesky ground strap from transaxle to body?

thats what i wondered... any battery cables messed with???
echocanyons
hmmm, that makes sense, I don't remember seeing a ground strap when I was working under there. I'll check it out.

I really didn't mess with anything else, aside from the EGR stuff it was a straight forward swap.
echocanyons
what an astute group, first (and second) answers were spot on.

While doing the swap I noticed the rear trans mounts had been installed incorrectly so I dropped the trans just enough to put them on right, It must have been too much and busted the strap headbang.gif .

thanks again! beer.gif
orange914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 29 2008, 10:20 PM) *

what an astute group, first (and second) answers were spot on.

While doing the swap I noticed the rear trans mounts had been installed incorrectly so I dropped the trans just enough to put them on right, It must have been too much and busted the strap headbang.gif .

thanks again! beer.gif

whee this is fun... what do we win biggrin.gif
echocanyons
smilie_pokal.gif Kenny as second place winner how about a hot start relay, slightly used of course.
I'll even "freshin" it up with some gold paint to look like a fer real trophy smilie_pokal.gif

seriously though I really appreciate the lead, I went for the first real 914 ride in well over a year today because of the help
orange914
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Nov 30 2008, 09:04 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Kenny as second place winner how about a hot start relay, slightly used of course.
I'll even "freshin" it up with some gold paint to look like a fer real trophy smilie_pokal.gif

seriously though I really appreciate the lead, I went for the first real 914 ride in well over a year today because of the help

biggrin.gif , actually this is his dad... i've kinda taken over his "orange914" namesake as of late. he's working 2 jobs, trying to keep his dd running and looking to sign up for j.c. next semester. along with running around and getting in trouble he's a typical 18 year old. the problem is the 73 broke a c.v. after the new motor... and there it sits for now

you're not far away, maybe you can stop by sometime and i could russle up a few locale teeners for a b.s./brag session. beerchug.gif

mike
echocanyons
Sounds great I love to shoot the breeze with fellow ninefourteeners
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.