Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best way to coat/insulate a header?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
Sort of a continuation from the previous thread about the eurorace header.

The header I have is used, but in decent shape. It needs a bead blasting and either a coating, or paint for sure.

I have read that people sometimes wrap their header to keep temps lower. IIRC, wrapping also traps moisture, which isn't good either.

I've seen some of those jet-hot coated headers and they look nice. I prefer flat grey, over the shiny finish, but I think they handle that.

Which option lowers heat more?

If I paint, what temp range paint do I need?

Where can I get the insulation wrap stuff?

Any other advice/experience is appreciated. Thanks!
rfuerst911sc
I really think the professionally applied ceramic coating ( jet hot etc. ) is the way to go. They apply it on the inside and outside. I had a set of headers for my six done locally in the silver and they look fantastic. I haven't installed them yet so no in use feedback but from what I've read they will last a very long time.
'73-914kid
How often are you going to drive the car?
The ceramic wrapping will not trap moisture if you drive it everyday, becasue it all evaporates so quickly, so the collecting moisture thing seems to be blown out of proportion a little bit.
The Jet-Hot coatings are decent, but they do get rid of heat good. On my dad's '71 Vette, he has Jet-Hot coated headers and sidepipes, and you can avoid severe burns because of the coating. This was with their shiniest coating, so I'm sure their flat grey, black, red, white, would do just as well.

The bad of Jet-Hot is that it's scratches so easily! they also say you can use non-abrasive aluminum or mag polish, but it makes it dull, and have terrible swirl marks. I've given up on trying the keep the coatings nice...but then again, 914 headers are hidden... av-943.gif

Wow, I totally didn't think about that until I finished typing that. wacko.gif
72914S
I`ve been thinking about this product. It sounds good.

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Retail.htm
r_towle
I have only heard great things about Jet Hot Ceramic coating.
If that is not enough (I doubt that) then you can use old school tape wrap over that.

Rich
ONTHEGRIND
I dont really care for Jet Hot Aka Cerma Chrome altough I am ussually working with turbo charged engines so at time's it stuggles to hold onto hot parts.. For extreme heat I like to use a 2 stage base and top coat thiscoating is good for 2000+ degrees.. Cerma chrome starts as a flat dull coating but is ussually tossed into a tumbler for polish..

Here are some pics of some heat barrier coating and dispersant coatings...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

welder.gif
Carrera916
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Nov 30 2008, 12:10 PM) *

I dont really care for Jet Hot Aka Cerma Chrome altough I am ussually working with turbo charged engines so at time's it stuggles to hold onto hot parts.. For extreme heat I like to use a 2 stage base and top coat thiscoating is good for 2000+ degrees.. Cerma chrome starts as a flat dull coating but is ussually tossed into a tumbler for polish..

I didn't understand what you mean by 2 stage base and top coat....you mean refinishing paint? Or it is the Cerma Chrome as 2 stage set up? Or am I missing something here?

j
VaccaRabite
If you use header wrap, your header will rust out much faster then normal. Go with the ceramic coating. I am thinking about doing that to mine...

Zach
jhadler
Another problem with header wrap (besides the premature rusting) is that they act like a sponge... Not with water, but oil...

And given the propensity of our motors to leak oil from any and all points of exit, the reality of soaking your headers in oil is pretty good...

I had my headers ceramic coated. I used the flat black coating for two reasons. It had a slightly higher temperature threshold, and it was more easily touched up. They even gave me a bottle of touch up. I wasn't going to beauty, how often are people going to be underneath the car looking up???

When I started the motor up, the valve cover didn't seal, and covered my headers with oil. The stuff wiped right off, and the ceramic is pretty durable, even to solvents...

Just my $0.02... YMMV and all that...

-Josh2
ONTHEGRIND
There is 2 differnt coating's applied sorry my post are usually rushed and very sloppy. When aplying these coating for a turbo High heat setup I use a high heat base coat that needs to be prepped,sprayed then baked at 500. Then the top coat is applied and rebaked between 500-750 degrees. there are several differnt top coats and I think there are some colors as well.. I ussually do all my parts inside and out...

Once you heat wrap it and decide you dont like the way it falls off or looks it makes it very difficult to prep for coating..
LarryR
The muffler on my 911 is jet hot coated. After 3 years it still looks great.
I have only driven it 3K miles though smile.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(ONTHEGRIND @ Nov 30 2008, 01:53 PM) *

There is 2 differnt coating's applied sorry my post are usually rushed and very sloppy. When aplying these coating for a turbo High heat setup I use a high heat base coat that needs to be prepped,sprayed then baked at 500. Then the top coat is applied and rebaked between 500-750 degrees. there are several differnt top coats and I think there are some colors as well.. I ussually do all my parts inside and out...

Once you heat wrap it and decide you dont like the way it falls off or looks it makes it very difficult to prep for coating..

Care to share the product name? smile.gif I'm very intersted in using it on my 944 exhaust and turocharger pieces.
ONTHEGRIND
here is a dynograph on a turbo engine before and after coating

IPB Image
TimT
I have a set of jet hot coated headers on my 911, going on 6 years. This was jet hot applied to old oily rusty headers. The coating is only now starting to fail in a few spots. I consider that pretty good considering that the coating was applied to used headers.

Having said that. I would use Swain on my next set of headers.... actually I have a set of ERH waiting for some sort of treatment.

I know some of the respected suppliers, and engine builder use Calico...
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I am a great beliver in these high tec coatings. If you clean and prep very

well you you can do just as good a job as the commercial guys. Buti don,t believe

you can do any where near as good on the insides. For that reason i use Jet HOT. Just

my 2 cents. Dave
ONTHEGRIND
I belive the cerma chrome is applied the same way as any of the other coating so I dont see JET HOT coating being able to cover any better then other..

Also your headers may have been old and oily when you took them in but I doubht they where coated like that.. Prep is a must esp. for those Funky h20 based coatings..

I like to use 60 Alum oxcide..

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.