Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dizzy or no dizzy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jhadler
So here I am with a fully disassembled motor, ready for a bottom end rebuild in the ensuing weeks.

I have, in my possession, a 4 coil electromotive ignition setup that was given to me. I have all the parts I need (including the timing wheel) save the mount itself for the pickup. Should I go ahead and install it? And leave the dizzy on the bench? It's a tough call, but I thought I'd get some opinions from y'all...

What to do?

-Josh2
LarryR
I have been hoping someone would come out with a low cost distribuless ignition for the TIV. Very few cars have distributors any more ... I was figuring a system from another 4 cyl could be canabalized for cheap.

Just reread your initial post. If you already have the electromotive might as well put it to good use.
TimT
use the electromotive... just buy a spare sensor and keep in your glovebox
Jake Raby
Use the Electromotive if you have it... They are reliable IF you use a good power filter and GROUND IT DIRECTLY TO THE BATTERY!
GeorgeRud
agree.gif

As mentioned above, just carry a spare sensor, that's all that ever seems to go wrong with them. The crank-fired ignition is a nice upgrade, though it would cause problems if you were using the original fuel injection (due to the second set of points).

I've had one for many years, and only had one sensor go bad. Replaced on the side of the road and got back on track quite easily.
bam914
A larger power wire and ground the coils to the engine. I only had the pick up go bad on mine.
jhadler
So... can I run it with D-jet? Or should I just get stupid and go all the way to EFI???

I started a separate thread on this as well..
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=90459

I'd really love input on this... Thanks!

-Josh2
degreeoff
Can you afford to "get stupid?" If so why not throw in a six???? LOL.... I say go carbs and coil packs they work great on my six....why not a 4?

Josh
TravisNeff
how would you fire the trigger points? use the stock distributor just for that? If so, how would you get the injector points firing at the correct time when your advance is handled elsewhere?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(LarryR @ Nov 30 2008, 03:56 PM) *

I have been hoping someone would come out with a low cost distribuless ignition for the TIV. Very few cars have distributors any more ... I was figuring a system from another 4 cyl could be canabalized for cheap.

Just reread your initial post. If you already have the electromotive might as well put it to good use.

Years ago I put a GM 4 cylinder waste spark setup on my 2.0L engine. I put the pickup in the hole for the torque converter, and used the flywheel with grooves cut int he back for the trigger. Without a computer the limp-home advance curve on it is almost identical to the advance curve on a Bosch 050 distributor.

It worked fine until the starter hung and ate the ring gear. I replaced the flywheel, and put the distributor back in. I still have all the pieces in a box in the attic.

It actually was part one of the GM Fuel injection setup I was adapting to the 914 engine. The bad starter and overall lack of money killed that project.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.