Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel. .?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ghost
I've seen a bunch of aftermarket steering wheels, some are cool a bunch are cheesy.
But seems to me the only thing not to like (if anything at all) about the stock wheel is the horn button?
So instead of buying a different steering wheel I bought a horn button.
Works for me, it honks too!...any opinions?
Bob O
914ghost
Forgot the picture of course:
anthony
BTDT smilie_pokal.gif
914ghost
HIGH-FIVE!! beerchug.gif
Or cheers...or whatever.
can we get a Hi-5 smiley?
Korijo
i like it smilie_pokal.gif
RocknRollFrenzy
looks good. i do like the smaller diameter of the wheel i've got more than the stock one though........
ChrisReale
Nothing wrong with the stock wheel, as long as your day job is driving a school bus. J/K, but the larger diameter of the stock wheel makes it "difficult" to use during race or AX applications...
thesey914
Anthony, did you recover your wheel? The leather looks really nice, as does the whole binnacle. I have one of these wheels but the stitching is knackered and the leather is old.
Qarl
You have what was used in many of the 914-6 GT cars and some of the Factory 911R cars!!!

Keep it!
seanery
I've been looking for one of those!
Wheredya get it? how much?

DAMN.
rhodyguy
i like the stock leather bound wheels. that center conversion looks great. ditto on sean's question. was it just a take the original one off and twist that one on?

kevin
seanery
yes, kevin, they are direct replacements.
rhodyguy
i will be on the hunt for one. no doubt this will become a "fad' and the prices will jump accordingly. i didn't reale-ize after market steering wheels made for faster ax times laugh.gif .

kevin
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kellzey @ Feb 14 2004, 05:59 AM)
You have what was used in many of the 914-6 GT cars and some of the Factory 911R cars!!!

looks just like the wheel that came on my early Euro 912.
wish i'd known then ... prolly worth more than the whole rest of the car, may it rust in piece ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 14 2004, 07:43 AM)
i didn't reale-ize after market steering wheels made for faster ax times

they do, tho. partly it's the smaller diameter, partly it's the fatter rim that gives you a better grip. the covering material may help, if your stock wheel is really slippery-shiny, but since you're probably wearing gloves anyway i haven't found that to be a big factor.
seanery
Kevin,
they are already pricey and very hard to come by. If you see one and you want it buy it cause it won't be there when you come back.
rhodyguy
"reale-ize". as in chris reale. i don't expect to be a ftod or high in the rankings this season. a steady improvement, or consistant run times are my goal. i guess i can put a piece of yellow tape on the top center of my wheel. is that center cap a year specific item. i'm not all that familiar with 911's. my stock wheel is just fine. dave ellison has a pile of the padded versions. good condition too.

kevin- hey, newbies, buy a sticker
Eric_Shea
That's a very early 911/912 hub. Twists right on. I've been looking for a good one for a while (not activley but...) Karl nailed it. That's the 914-6 GT look. All the factory cars that didn't have the Prototypo seemed to have them. Awesome smilie_pokal.gif
echocanyons
Does anyone know a source for debossing the leather?

I have about half a dozen that I would like to restore.
echocanyons
BTW there are two types one with tabs on the back to remove the trim ring and one that is pressed on like a can.

THe tabbed one is the easiest to rebuild.
echocanyons
tabbed
rhodyguy
what do you want for that kelly?

kevin- who needs a sticker?
echocanyons
well for some reason it wont let me post the non tabbed pictures?

they are jpeg and well under 300kb
echocanyons
non tabbed
anthony
Anthony, did you recover your wheel? The leather looks really nice, as does the whole binnacle. I have one of these wheels but the stitching is knackered and the leather is old.

Nothing's been recovered. I'm just lucky to have found a car in this original condition.

The 911/912 horn button is a screw-on piece but it didn't have the little electrical tab for the horn wire so I transferred that piece from my 914 horn pad to the 911/912 horn pad.

I also lucked out and scored this horn pad for $35 at the last Parts Heaven swap meet I went to. I think in this condition they are usually going for more like $100.

Ultimately, it would be awesome to find the smaller diameter 914-6 GT/911-R steering wheel. I've only seen one once (put on ebay by Auto Atlanta).
echocanyons
from what ive read the smaller diameter gt wheel is the same as the 914 wheel just the padding is thicker on the wrap.
914ghost
I found out there are 2 different versions of the horn button too, the one w/ the tabs is 'clocked' right for the 914 steering wheel, the one w/o the tabs twists on but the emblem will be off at the wrong angle.
I'm not sure how you'd fix that or what the applications of the two buttons were.
The 'wrong' one I know was supplied new on 1969 911/912's.
I bought mine off ebay for $25 and just got lucky it was the right one.
Bob O
Scott S
yep - here is mine... took me forever to find a good center and get it all to work right.
914ghost
Scott-
Kick ass Ineterior!
No knee guard?
and the simple 'smooth' looking dash is cool.....and the seats *drool* wub.gif !! No radio, no clutter.
You running one of those ABS dash caps too?
Is your car an original /6?
Bob O
thesey914
No knee pad because the GT had none....Scott your interior is an inspiration. smilie_pokal.gif
Scott, did you double wrap the leather to achieve the thick rim that the GT cars and the 911Rs had?
Scott S
Thanks -
Yes the wheel has been double wrapped. I have no idea what year or model it is, It was in a box of parts that came with the 911. It was smaller than my stock 914 wheel (not by much) and it came with a destroyed version of that 911/914-6GT horn button. Of course it came with none of the horn activation stuff. I finally got it to work, but every piece was altered. It is still pretty temprimental (sp).

No, it's not a 6, just a nicely built higher compression 2.0. Works fine for me for now.
echocanyons
Scott,
Could you measure your wheel for us?
Scott S
Sure -
I'll do it tonight.
Scott S
I threw a tape measure on the thing... OD of my wheel is between 14 and 14.5" (the leather wrap is the variance).
I actually pulled the wheel to look for a part number, but couldn't find one - it may be under that plastic spacer/filler. I do know that I had swap that stuff over to get the turn signals to cancel correctly.
Kargeek
I used a 3 spoke 80"s 911 wheel. Shortened the back of the splined hub, screwed the plastic 914 hub cover with the turn signaling detent and brass horn contact ring onto the back of it. The back hub cover for the 911 wheel was cut down and the 914 hub cover matches up to it. The screws for the 914 part line up with existing screw holes in the 911 wheel. It sits about .75 of an inch closer to the driver than a regular wheel and that's OK. Working horn pad too. Dave
brant
cool dave,

I did something similar with mine.
I took the 911 old-4spoke wheel (without abs)
and also cut off and had the 914 shaft resplined....

cool I thought I was the only one.
brant
echocanyons
I measured the stock 914 wheel and its about 15 inches in diameter, the 911 is just over 16 inches.

The wheel I measured is from a 74

did they change sizes? What was the application of the smaller wheel?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(echocanyons @ Feb 17 2004, 04:05 PM)
What was the application of the smaller wheel?

evidently there is a reference in "the" 911RS book (Gruber's - i have it, haven't researched this particular detail...) that the 911R and 911RS used the 914.6 wheel. (donno about the 911RSR - few of them were ever streetable. RSR began in 1974.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.