Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bursch muffler need replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
i have a 2056 with a 73 bursch system,t he muffler is getting too loud, need to replace it but not neccessarily the whole system, what have you used to replace the muffler?
PeeGreen 914
Triad. Much better than the Bursch and sounds great without being too loud. It's loud but more of a bassy loud.
echocanyons
I second the triad, I just finished a backdate on my 75 and the workmanship on the muffler is great and the sound is perfect.
ws91420
I had this on mine http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...&pid=105605 Sebring extractor. It is a performance exhaust and I don't know how it sounds compared to a Bursch but I liked it.
tod914
Triad is very nice. Just borders the loudness tollerance for me. Can notice the little extra kick it gives too. You won't regret getting one.
biggy72
has anyone put a different muffler itself in place of the glass pack on the bursch? Something like a flowmaster or magnaflow? If one was too loud what muffler in particular was it? Some are much more quieter in those product lines than others.
jd74914
I was able to go to my FLAPS and get a flowmaster (IIRC) that was approximately the same size as the muffler in the "street Bursch" after mine blew out. I have no idea on the model but it was maybe $25-30 and had a lifetime guarantee.
mattp
how did they attach it? Cut the old one off and then?
SGB
I got a Bursh "quiet" (haha) muffler welded on to a matching flange. Now I have a Triad and it is really "tuned" to a real baritone sound. That said, the best overall "sound improver" was the Mallory distributor, which REALLY smoothed out the whole system. Valves incorrectly set can make a lot of noise too (extra intake, exhaust, and mechanical sounds). I guess the Mallory is currently NLA, but I think the differences was at least partly just eliminating the plug firing slop from the old Bosch .050 I had for the previous 150000 miles.

Say, I'll let you have my Bursch and attached extractor REAL cheap. Its only about 20k miles old. smile.gif
jd74914
QUOTE(mattp @ Dec 1 2008, 09:41 PM) *

how did they attach it? Cut the old one off and then?

I cut off the old and welded the new on. You might be able to get something with slip flanges on it so you can cut the old off and then clamp it on. smile.gif
Brett W
I cut off my exploded Bursch and put a Flowmaster three chamber on there. You would get more intake noise than exhaust noise. I might run a 2 chamber if I was to do it again. But I think the Dynomax is a better muffler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.