Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interior backpad light
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
Has anyone every documented the variations of 914 backpad lights? I mean the factory lights, not the 9.95 knockoffs. Did any "real" ones not have "chrome" outer ring? Can the "chrome" be refurbished?

I know of two - any more?

Yes, I know, pics would help. My camera battery is dead tonight. If no one else posts pics I will tomorrow.
Pat
jonferns
Here's one of my interior light (pics courtesy of Tom Bliznik)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also have another one that im not 100% sure of the name, but it may be a Sigla. It also has the chrome trim and white button but is definetly not Hella. I will get pics of it soon.
914Sixer
i have one with the chrome trim also, but I can not find right now for a picture.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Nov 30 2008, 10:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I also have another one that im not 100% sure of the name, but it may be a Sigla. It also has the chrome trim and white button but is definetly not Hella. I will get pics of it soon.

Jon, I have one just like yours, as well as the one that is original to my 914 - and somewhat different. Forgot to charge my camera battery, so it will be tomorrow before I can post.

Yours has the same problem as mine. The "chrome" has degraded somewhat.

So, is there some compound/paint/whatever that can be used to restore/reburbish the "plating"?
Pat
jonferns
I gave this some thought and came up with the idea of buying a can of "chrome" spray paint, not silver or metallic, but actual chrome (IIRC, rustoleum makes it as well as a few other brands) Then spraying a small amount into a container and using a very fine paint brush to apply it to the inside edge of the light, to fill in any voids in the chrome. I'll probably try doing this to the broken light that I have and see how it turns out.

Pat, how does your original light differ?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 1 2008, 08:45 PM) *

I gave this some thought and came up with the idea of buying a can of "chrome" spray paint, not silver or metallic, but actual chrome (IIRC, rustoleum makes it as well as a few other brands) Then spraying a small amount into a container and using a very fine paint brush to apply it to the inside edge of the light, to fill in any voids in the chrome. I'll probably try doing this to the broken light that I have and see how it turns out.

Jon,
My original is the same, but I had a bud many years ago with a '75 that had a simplified light, yet chrome trim. See pics. Mine (cracked) is on the top. An eBay Mexican special is on the bottom - no chrome, but the connectors for my bud's '75 were similar.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 30 2008, 06:49 PM) *

Has anyone every documented the variations of 914 backpad lights? I mean the factory lights, not the 9.95 knockoffs. Did any "real" ones not have "chrome" outer ring? Can the "chrome" be refurbished?

Yes, I know, pics would help. My camera battery is dead tonight. If no one else posts pics I will tomorrow.
Pat

rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 4 2009, 07:18 AM) *

Pat

I'll try to send pics of two odd lights that I have.
Both original
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 4 2009, 07:18 AM) *

Pat

I'll try to send pics of two odd lights that I have.
Both original
smg914
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 1 2008, 05:45 PM) *

I tried the exact same process a few years ago and it looked terrible. Even though I used "chrome" spray paint, it ended up looking more gray then chrome.
tod914
What about paint made for plastics.. like testors model paint (enamel). I would think they offer a chrome in a spray can.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 4 2009, 12:52 PM) *

What about paint made for plastics.. like testors model paint (enamel). I would think they offer a chrome in a spray can.

No, I don't think so. May work on the cheapy aftermarket lenses, where ther is nothing, but doubtless on the orig's. Thought about trying to completely remove the original "silver", but it's in a "corrugated" (for lack of another term, finish & would be impossible to remove in it's entirety (or nearly so).

I'm a model railroader & know how to use an airbrush, but that's not the answer unless you can remove the original coating, which seems to be impossible & not compliant with contemporary paints.

So, I'll just maintain my uncracked lens, with a couple of boogers, and the patina of age.

Not the end of theworld.
Pat
tod914
Alittle pig snot goes along way. I have a can of duplicolor chrome hanging around. I'll post the results when I get a chance to see how it looks.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Feb 5 2009, 09:06 PM) *

Alittle pig snot goes along way. I have a can of duplicolor chrome hanging around. I'll post the results when I get a chance to see how it looks.

Wait till it gets a little warmer, my friend - like April.

Pig snot does not adhere well in cold climes. It sticks, but melts later. I know pig snot.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 1 2008, 12:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

For reference purpose, this light appears as the original light in my 74 - 2.0.

Also for reference: The car is a VERY early build 74, with alot of 73 specific items attached, as it came from Porsche /VW.

Its number is 00089 and was fabricated at Karmann in August of 1973.
The light is uncracked, and shows no evidence of dirt or delamination of the silvering.

One question :
Would it work to send one of these bruised, dirty, and disfigured lites to some of these guys that do vaccum chroming as on the mid sixties American cars with silvered armrests, dashes, and the like ? I believe there is a company in Mpls, Mn. that does this, and advertises in enthusiast mags like Mopar Muscle, or Mustang .
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 22 2009, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Dec 1 2008, 12:04 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

For reference purpose, this light appears as the original light in my 74 - 2.0.

Also for reference: The car is a VERY early build 74, with alot of 73 specific items attached, as it came from Porsche /VW.

Its number is 00089 and was fabricated at Karmann in August of 1973.
The light is uncracked, and shows no evidence of dirt or delamination of the silvering.

One question :
Would it work to send one of these bruised, dirty, and disfigured lites to some of these guys that do vaccum chroming as on the mid sixties American cars with silvered armrests, dashes, and the like ? I believe there is a company in Mpls, Mn. that does this, and advertises in enthusiast mags like Mopar Muscle, or Mustang .

You pose an an interesting question!

There is also a company in Canada (name eludes me)that did a set of foglight grills that I got from a member of this group. Superior quality, though they mention care for use in harsh climates.

Could be an answer, but I do know that it's expensive.
Pat
MDG
Never used them but this place out in B.C. does it; C.V. Vacuum Platers Inc.
I'm pretty sure they have a website if you want to check them out.

m.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 16 2009, 07:38 AM) *

Never used them but this place out in B.C. does it; C.V. Vacuum Platers Inc.
I'm pretty sure they have a website if you want to check them out.

m.

That's the place!

They did some foglight grills for a member of this forum & they are totally, totally awesome. I'm fortunate to have 2 of them. The work is premier. Wonder if it can transfer to backpad lights. Also wonder if it is cost efficient. Those foglight grills were really expensive.
Pat
MDG
their site has a partial price list; not the best website by far but enough photos to show you what they do. A few pics of Detroit car interior bits that would leave me believing any of the small chromed plastic parts for our cars would be no problem.

The parts would be so lightweight I'm sure postal service would be fine and keep shipping costs down.

Of course, putting an NLA part in the hands of either USPS or our Canada Post could be nightmare inducing. Might be better to cough up for a reputable courier.

m.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 16 2009, 07:08 PM) *

their site has a partial price list; not the best website by far but enough photos to show you what they do. A few pics of Detroit car interior bits that would leave me believing any of the small chromed plastic parts for our cars would be no problem.

The parts would be so lightweight I'm sure postal service would be fine and keep shipping costs down.

Of course, putting an NLA part in the hands of either USPS or our Canada Post could be nightmare inducing. Might be better to cough up for a reputable courier.

m.

Yeah, but let's think about the onesies/twosies that some of us have, that need to have the old plating stripped first. How do we get that done?

I suspect that, unless we have a dozen or so that need to be redone, they won't touch us (economies of scale).

Not that I'm not ready to commit, but look at the two questions.
Pat
MDG
that's true Pat but there is also the inescapable fact that these days not many companies that specialize in trades which would be considered obscure to the general public can pick and choose their work. It's happening up here too.

I'd say if anyone needs this type of stuff done, give 'em a call; can't hurt and they may be happy for the work. Besides, it looks like they do a lot of restoration work on interior trim; regardless of the marque there's usually only a few smallish items. Even on some of the heavily chromed Detroit interiors how many pieces can there be? Okay, some old Detroit cars are chrome Nirvana, but you know what I mean.

I'll be getting to the interior of my '73 Phoenix Red car in another month or so. I think I might keep these guys in mind when I do.

Plus, my driving light grills are otherwise perfect but heavily pitted. The ones they did for you are good and I would say you are an excellent judge of what passes muster; I might check out to see what they could do them for as opposed to $100+ each to buy new.

m.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MDG @ Mar 16 2009, 08:40 PM) *

that's true Pat but there is also the inescapable fact that these days not many companies that specialize in trades which would be considered obscure to the general public can pick and choose their work. It's happening up here too.

I'd say if anyone needs this type of stuff done, give 'em a call; can't hurt and they may be happy for the work. Besides, it looks like they do a lot of restoration work on interior trim; regardless of the marque there's usually only a few smallish items. Even on some of the heavily chromed Detroit interiors how many pieces can there be? Okay, some old Detroit cars are chrome Nirvana, but you know what I mean.

I'll be getting to the interior of my '73 Phoenix Red car in another month or so. I think I might keep these guys in mind when I do.

Plus, my driving light grills are otherwise perfect but heavily pitted. The ones they did for you are good and I would say you are an excellent judge of what passes muster; I might check out to see what they could do them for as opposed to $100+ each to buy new.

m.

Te replacement grills I've seen in recent years do not have the quality of the originals, though they are factory. They seem to have a very thin coating, without the original sheen. Almost as if they have cheapened.

It's also my understanding that the original methods for producing these parts were extremely unkind to the environment & workers, and that the method has been substantially changed. Maybe that explains the visual difference.

The set I have from a member, who used CV Platers, are absolutely brilliant, but they were costly, even though he had multiple sets redone. They were well north of $100 per. He lost mone on them, butt hose of us who were fortunate enough to get our hands on a set are very happy.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.