Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shift conversion - 5th hits heater lever
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeezee
I have a 72 the PO converted to a side shifter.
When shifting into 5th, the shift linkage hits the heater/blower lever.
Is this normal? Or maybe a step left off the conversion?
Something needs to be moved over a 1/4 inch.
Any ideas?
914Mike
QUOTE(zeezee @ Nov 30 2008, 11:21 PM) *

I have a 72 the PO converted to a side shifter.
When shifting into 5th, the shift linkage hits the heater/blower lever.
Is this normal? Or maybe a step left off the conversion?
Something needs to be moved over a 1/4 inch.
Any ideas?

Loose/missing Firewall Bushing? confused24.gif
Phoenix-MN
Are you sure it hits the lever? I had a problem with the shift rod hitting an internal bracket.. I had to cut an access hole and grind the bracket opening a little larger.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

zeezee
Thanks for the replys. It is definitely hitting the heater lever. And all shift bushings seem to be working properly.
I fixed it by removing the lever ... Since there is no blower or heat exchangers, etc.. I'd like to have heat now and then, but it is low on my priority list.
914Mike
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Dec 1 2008, 07:13 AM) *

Are you sure it hits the lever? I had a problem with the shift rod hitting an internal bracket.. I had to cut an access hole and grind the bracket opening a little larger.
Click to view attachment

Thanks for the pics, now I know where to open mine...
That's exactly where my shift rod hit when going into First/Reverse, I got tired of the squeek and sprayed white grease on the rod and that brace, but I know it will come back!:angry:
JRust
Sounds like you need to adjust the very front of the rod. Where your shifter connects to the linkage there is adjustment. Move it 1/4 inch & see how it feels. I had mine adjusted to far forward when I did my side shift conversion. It did not want to 3rd or 5th very good. I just moved the rod back a bit & everything is good. Sounds like yours needs to come forward a little bit. Try the 1/4 inch & adjust from there. Good luck biggrin.gif

This is all accesable by removing the 3 bolts holding your shifter in place. Just turn it sideways to give you access to the lower bolt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.