Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The exploding turn signal switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lmcchesney
I recieved a replacement turn signal switch/ washer, wiper switch from Bob Bischoff, thanks again Bob, and installed the unit. Found my washer switch would not function and the high beam/low beam switch wasn't functioning also. Being a typical 914 owner, I did the usual. Yelp, took it apart. Got the washer to work(converted from pneumatic switch to electrical) but on working the turn signal switch, BOINGGGG! Pieces everywhere. Collected them up and using the restrunction techinque, "One of these things does not look like the other", got the switch back together, except for, that long metal flat rod that holds the, I believe to be, cancelation prong protruding into the center stering colum hole. WHERE DOES THIS THING GO?! How does the flat metal spring fit into the base and still allow insertion of the prong?
THanks,
L. McChesney
SirAndy
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Feb 14 2004, 05:51 AM)
WHERE DOES THIS THING GO?!

what year and type is your car?

this looks COMPLETELY different than my '73 assembly ...
Andy
lmcchesney
Body/chasis is 72, 1.7L.
Are you saying the switches from different years are different?
My is as pictured.
L. McChesney
SirAndy
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Feb 14 2004, 03:15 PM)
Are you saying the switches from different years are different?

very different!

when i switched from my '70 harness to a '73 harness i could NOT reuse any of the steering column parts.
i had to get a complete 73 assembly. and i know for sure that even in the later model years there were differences from year to year.

do you have the windshield wiper switch at the column or at the dashboard?

Andy
TheCabinetmaker
Yes, some years are different. Don't know about the 72, but a 73 will not interchange with a 75 or 76. The wiring connectors are different.
lmcchesney
Found the location for the flat spring. The unit is repaired.
Is there a location on our web site where I could submit a article of the repair with images. I have submitted the article to Wayne at PP but he hasn't published my other articles as yet.

Thanks,
L. McChesney
lmcchesney
The TSS/WW unit is in and functions just right. Turn signals, hi/low beam, two speed wiper and washers. Success is nice. driving.gif
L. McChesney
fiid
I'm pretty sur ethat you can get different year switches to work - I have a 924/944 washer switch in my car - I had to pull apart the connector and place all the wires in the original 914 one. It works nicely now though and I have an electric washer motor!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.