Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 vs 911 muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smdubovsky
Ok, I've searched and come up w/ nada. How do you identify if a muffler is a 911 or 914/6 version? I know the tip is in a slightly different location.

Or, more importantly (to me;), which version do I have?
Click to view attachment
SLITS
As far as I am concerned, they are the same. I used an early 911 muffler on my six conversion and it fit fine. My second conversion has the same. Maybe with a real /6 rear valence the exhaust exit might be slightly different, but a sawzall and a welder will fix that in a jiffy.
smdubovsky
I sorta agree w/ you, but if its a real /6 muffler then it has some $$ value to some CW. 911 ones are cheap in comparison Im sure. Me? I just want to cut it up and make a sport muffler... smile.gif
Root_Werks
I think the pre 73' mufflers all used the same part number after a while. I thought I remember seeing in a book different original part numbers for 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 engines and later they all got the 2.4 part number.

Also, if I remember right, the 914-6 muffler carried the same part number as the 911 2.0 cars.

I think anyway. idea.gif
ws91420
part no for 914/6 muffler 901 111 011 11
SLITS
914/6 OE Style from Pelican is $538.75 Part # 901-111-011-11-M350

911 '65-'73 from Pelican is $387.25 Part# 911-111-025-00-M350

Is the tailpipe exit worth the extra $151.50? Both are made by Dansk.
Root_Werks
I don't know my 914-6 stuff very well. Must just be the difference in the tail pipe then? I thought I remembered seeing in old parts books from World Pac, and I mean like 15 years ago the early 2.0 911's and 914-6's used the same mufflers. But maybe that was just WP's listing of a part that would "work"? Could also have been a F.A.S.T. catalog...
Dave_Darling
The tail pipe is in a different location on the 911 and 914-6 mufflers. The 914-6 muffler has the pipe in a location to fit the cutout in the 914-6 rear valance, while the 911 muffler's tailpipe happens to fit exactly in the notch in the rear valance of the later 914-4s.

I don't know how to tell which is which, other than comparing them to known samples or finding the part numbers...

--DD
smdubovsky
Dave, thats what I had heard.

PET shows all 911s had a 911.xxx type muffler where the 914/6 used a 901.xxx number. I can see no obvious #s stamped in mine. Did Dansk stamp them? The Leistritz(sp?) and bischoff ones both seem to have stampings.

Mine came w/ my /6 so it may very well be original? Searching pelican, most 911 tips seem to to bend down a little and then out vs straight out for the one I have. I'll ask some local 911 guys to check their mufflers...
Eric_Shea
I may have a -6 muffler on my 911... pipe exits funny. I was ready to cut and weld it. I'll trade plus enough cash to repaint the 911 muffler with POR-20.
smdubovsky
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 3 2008, 05:19 PM) *

I may have a -6 muffler on my 911...

Take a picture! Plz? biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Just had knee surgery #6... I'll try to hobble down to the garage soon. sad.gif
Racer
At first glance, and that angle, I think the OP has a 911 muffler. As mentioned, the "6" muffler tip is placed "lower" and fits through the 6 valance.
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Dec 3 2008, 05:40 PM) *

Just had knee surgery #6... I'll try to hobble down to the garage soon. sad.gif

Wuss, I just had #8 and I'm back running. And I'm older than you, you little whipper-snapper biggrin.gif

T.C.
Eric_Shea
Less than 48 hours and I'm up without crutches! tongue.gif

(Ferg's gonna be pissy about this one... there's spots down there!) ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
Crutches? I just limp like a sunabitch.

Cut that tip off and reweld it at a good angle

T.C.
smdubovsky
Eric,
Thanks. I had seen some of those mufflers for sale on the bird board (911 classifieds). The tip bends down then out. I had assumed THAT was the 911 one and I had the /6 one but w/ your valence I bet I have that backwards.
Eric_Shea
Well.. I either get a 911 muffler or I cut this one. idea.gif Decisions, decisions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.