Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "As long as I'm in there syndrome"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Last week before leaving on vacation to Napa and Carmel I pulled the car off of the jackstands for the first time in 2 months... All I was going to do was a quicky 5 lug conversion and I had all of the parts sitting in my garage but I got a bad case of "as long as I'm in there syndrome". The end result of this syndrome is listed below...

Front and rear 4 lug Fuchs replaced with 16X6 5 lug Fuchs with BFG GForce TA KDW tires that I picked up in the Classifieds here for practically the price of the tires and they are new! (biosurfer has the 4 lug Fuchs)

Powdercoated the suspension

Replaced the bushings with Elephant Bushings

Tarrett Monoballs front and rear

Tarrett bar front (biosurfer is sporting the stock front bar now)

140# springs replaced with 180# progressives (Rob Ways now has the 140# springs)

M calipers and drilled SC rotors in the front on billet hubs with new bearings front

Converted rear trailing arms by PMB Motorsports

M calipers sourced from BDStone914 and rebuilt by PMB Motorsports

Rear 914 calipers rebuilt and massaged by PMB Motorsports

914-6 rotors in the rear modified by machining off the ridge in the inner side so they fit the stub axles

Did I forget anything?

So I took it for a test drive and the Bitchy Blond feels totally alive and responsive. With the Elephant Bushings the Monoballs are not harsh at all as the shocks are being allowed to do their jobs without stiction. She felt GOOOOD!!!
On the backside of the drive I picked up a CHP officer on a bike on Hwy 50 about Hazel Avenue and he stayed on my tail until Sunrise Blvd. I thought I was going to get a Driving Under the Influence of Torque ticket but at Sunrise when I exited, he kept going and gave me a thumbs up and a grin!

Car used to look like this in the small photo but now looks like the larger one!
McMark
Suspension bearing/bushing upgrades are THE BEST! Totally changes the car.
ConeDodger
Oh! And I forgot to mention the 911 call I made to Original Customs this morning asking advice on why I did not have first gear. Turned out that I did not have the shifter bar shaft properly attached at the front by the body. Mark said that it shouldn't be possible to attach it wrong as it had the machined slots for the bolt. He was wrong! I actually did have it on wrong. Just barely grabbing splines... biggrin.gif
markb
Nicely done!

This is called Dirk Wright Syndrome. I believe DDD has a nice writeup on how the name came to be.
Ian Stott
We were just talking about this at work today! I have come out of retirement and am the service advisor at my buddies garage, he wants to turn wrenches, not look up parts and take appointments, which I seem to be able to do well enough to get paid! A question has come up reference the re-inforcing of the rear suspension, if you are not racing you don't need it is one position, 35 year old metal with todays stickier tires says you need it is the other position. What have you done to yours?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
PeeGreen 914
Very nice Rob. Looks great but I think we need more pictures biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
congrats...next it is flares and paint....
'73-914kid
Yes, I've experienced "while I'm in there syndrome" however, not in a 914, as I knew that it needed a lot of work!

It happened in my dad's '71 vette though. The original radiator finally died, and the core support was rusted through. We pulled the radiator out, and went to our local Corvette parts collector and bought a core support, and ordered a new radiator from Summit. As we were waiting, it hit us both. you know, it would pretty easy to pull the engine out with the radiator out too. 3 days later, the engine was out and apart, and I was stuck cleaning up the engine bay.

The magic of as long as I'm in there syndrome! laugh.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 1 2008, 04:08 PM) *

agree.gif More pics please. The after ones. biggrin.gif
championgt1
"while i'm in there" snydrome. Been there, done that, will do it again.
SGB
Well.

Now you've gone and blown a whole winter's worth of projects.

What will you do now?

smile.gif

Lucky dog. I'll bet it is sweet.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Dec 1 2008, 04:08 PM) *

congrats...next it is flares and paint....

The flares are stored in the basement (Yes, I am the guy in California who has a basement) paint is pretty darned perfect for a 33 year old car with 75K miles... Wins or takes second in every concours it is entered in. I just wish it would win or come in second when I autocross it. I guess it needs some help from me on that though...

Flares will go on next winter if not this winter.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Michael N @ Dec 1 2008, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 1 2008, 04:08 PM) *

agree.gif More pics please. The after ones. biggrin.gif

Michael,
This is an after pic!
PeeGreen 914
I think he was saying more.... biggrin.gif Though the one is very nice aktion035.gif
sixnotfour
I think he was saying more.... Though the one is very nice

oh come on jon poke.gif , he really means , we need a decent picture , not one in the shadows. All we can see is that it is on four wheels , well maybe ? confused24.gif
Only the Shadow Knows... laugh.gif
LarryR
I know all about the while we are in there syndrome!!! I have a white car sitting in my garage that is the ultimate testimate.

Sounds like some very nice mods done on your car. I bet it handles nice. You will have to give me a ride the next time we organize a fun run. (Its been over a year now sad.gif )

biosurfer1
And every time Rob puts something new on, I reap the benefit idea.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Dec 1 2008, 09:24 PM) *

And every time Rob puts something new on, I reap the benefit idea.gif

And not just you Brett! The Yoko AO32R's went to Eric Shea and the brand new tires are going to McMark! I used the lift today! What a joy to be able to just push a button!

Car is on the trailer. Going to IPB Autosport in the morning for alignment and corner balance.... It really really handles nice!
PeeGreen 914
There needs to be a smiley with beedy eyes rubbing his hands together for that phrase laugh.gif
rdr
It's called Shipwright's disease driving.gif

Goes something like this:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to change bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a
major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

Happens to BritishCarOwners a LOT. Don't ask me how I know! beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 1 2008, 09:57 PM) *
oh come on jon poke.gif , he really means , we need a decent picture , not one in the shadows. All we can see is that it is on four wheels , well maybe ? confused24.gif

Now let's cut Rob some slack. It's a nice artsy shot. I especially like the way the setting sun highlight the trash cans.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rdr @ Dec 2 2008, 06:31 AM) *

It's called Shipwright's disease driving.gif

Goes something like this:

Sailor owns boat.
Boat has burned out light in galley.
Sailor decides to change bulb.
Sailor notices socket is corroded, decides to change socket.
Sailor notices wiring frayed while trying to change socket.
Sailor decides to change wiring.
Sailor notices galley ceiling slats are rotted while changing the wire.
Sailor decides galley ceiling slats need changing.
Sailor notices ...

this goes on and on and on and on and pretty soon, Sailor is undertaking a
major renovation of his boat because of a burned out lightbulb.

Happens to BritishCarOwners a LOT. Don't ask me how I know! beerchug.gif

welcome.png I once had a neighbor who had a beautiful home right next to mine... He was standing outside one day looking frustrated and a bit angry, pacing back and forth... I hollored over what's up John? He motioned me over to the fence and told me "Joanne wants me to put a circular bench under the oak in the backyard. One that goes all the way around the trunk so she can sit in the shade and look in whatever direction the best view is. I called a company that makes custom benches and they gave me a bid for $1500 but told me that the bench would have to sit on a concrete slab in order to be level. They gave me a card to a concrete guy and the concrete guy just left..." I asked what the problem was and John said, "when I told Joanne her f**king bench was going to cost $5000 she asked when will it be done? Being married is a bit like owning a old sports car. Owning an old British sports car is a bit like being in a really bad marraige. No matter how much you love her, in the back of your head you know, it will never work...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 2 2008, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 1 2008, 09:57 PM) *

Now let's cut Rob some slack. It's a nice artsy shot. I especially like the way the setting sun highlight the trash cans.

I see what you mean Mike! I love the way the setting sun gives the trash cans a certain patina. gayfight.gif
Todd Enlund
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Dec 2 2008, 10:18 AM) *

Todd should be good at lightening up photos... Photoshop is the only way Oregonians ever see the sun! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.