Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch tube location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenf
Hey.........got a problem clutch.........looked under console and the clutch tube the cable runs through has come undone.....the weld broke......
im going to fix it w fiberglass but wondering if anyone knows the proper placement of it............you cant really see the weld itself is covered w the console sheetmetal

Q: while sitting in drivers seat looking forewards...............what is the proper placement of the clutch tube............towards right hand side of compartment......towards the left (closest to driver) or perhaps on right towards the rear and crossing over towards the left in the front by where the cable inserts into the tube???

thanks

stephen
Jeffs9146
One version, a bit sloppy but it has photos!

Try searching and you will find lots of info!

PS: Don't use fiberglass!! WTF.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(stephenf @ Dec 1 2008, 06:22 PM) *

Hey.........got a problem clutch.........looked under console and the clutch tube the cable runs through has come undone.....the weld broke......
im going to fix it w fiberglass Q

The tube where it passes through the firewall is structural. Glass won't last long if at all. And Welcome.
Bruce Hinds
Glass won't hold! Mine has come loose at both ends over the years. Welding is the best way to go, but if you don't want to take the engine out, cut the interior or possibley burn it, you can make some screw in plates to hold the location of the tube.
Sorry I can't give you pictures, it's been 10-15 years, but it's still working.
B beer3.gif
Dave_Darling
For a cut-away view, see:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...nter_tunnel.htm

Weld it, don't glass it.

--DD
burton73
Stephen,

Do not glass it in. It will never hold and it will be a mess to get it out when you want to fix it right. The weld in it broke at least where the arrows are and it can be broke at the center bracket as well.

Look at Dave Darling cut away below to see the center but you can fix it right with welding or you can fix it with a U clamp where I am showing you with the arrows. This is not the very best way but it can work. My PO had it like that. You can drill two holes on the left side and put the U from the inside and then put the nuts on the outside of the tunnel. Remove the tar from the area on the tunnel where you will drill and make sure that you do NOT DRILL a GAS line. Make sure that you get the nuts tight and grind it down. Do not crush the tube.

This is not the right way to do it but it is a fix up. You may still need to weld the center section. There are several posting on this.

Bob

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.