Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 Bumber - Install Hints, Templates?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
Today I scored front and back 916 bumbers. They had been sitting for a while and the steel mounting brackets (worked into the mold w/ fiberglass) are rusted out.

Looking for any advice on mounting or templates. Anyone else mounted these?

TIA,
Larry
markb
Talk to sww914. He's currently installing a set on CliffBraun's car. I believe a lot of cutting and cussing is involved. biggrin.gif
CliffBraun
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 2 2008, 11:06 AM) *

Talk to sww914. He's currently installing a set on CliffBraun's car. I believe a lot of cutting and cussing is involved. biggrin.gif

Most of the cutting and cussing is due to the fact that they're not designed to be mounted to a flared car. Oh, and I believe the rear bumper wasn't long enough....
markb
Weren't the 916's flared?
CliffBraun
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 2 2008, 01:07 PM) *

Weren't the 916's flared?

Yup, but most people don't install the bumpers on flared cars, so they aren't made for it. Don't ask me why.

This is only good for the rennspeed ones, of course, but I don't actually know of another supplier (I'm fairly certain they do the FG for automotion; they also have an ebay presence.)
Larouex
My car is not flared... whew, I knew you had to expand and I imagine fab up the flared areas.

If I could get a few detailed pics of your mounting brackets, that maybe enough for me to get proximity to fabricating some myself.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Larouex @ Dec 2 2008, 01:37 PM) *

My car is not flared... whew, I knew you had to expand and I imagine fab up the flared areas.

If I could get a few detailed pics of your mounting brackets, that maybe enough for me to get proximity to fabricating some myself.

I don't have a pic of them in my collection, for some reason I didn't previously think detail of the mounting bracket would be interesting smile.gif. I'm gonna go out to visit the car tomorrow probably, and I'll take a pic then.
Larouex
Cliff,

That would be great! I will send you some Hot Sauce or BBQ Sauce (Let me know) from my store. Send me a PM of your address to send the thanks to!

Cheers,
Larryj
rick 918-S
I bought my front 916 bumper used. I had to replace one of my front brackets due to rust. Copy the exsisting bracket out of heavy poster board. Use it for a pattern to make a new one out of 18 ga. sheet metal. Make a fixture for aligning the brackets out of 1/8" plywood long enough to bolt to both brackets. Grind the rusted one out. bolt the new bracket to the plywood then to the exsisting good bracket, then while the brackets are bolted to the plywood glass the new one in place. When your done you still need to fit the bumper to the car.
Larouex
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 2 2008, 09:27 PM) *

I bought my front 916 bumper used. I had to replace one of my front brackets due to rust. Copy the exsisting bracket out of heavy poster board. Use it for a pattern to make a new one out of 18 ga. sheet metal. Make a fixture for aligning the brackets out of 1/8" plywood long enough to bolt to both brackets. Grind the rusted one out. bolt the new bracket to the plywood then to the exsisting good bracket, then while the brackets are bolted to the plywood glass the new one in place. When your done you still need to fit the bumper to the car.

In my case, both brakets on the front bumber are gone. But your technique is solid, I just need to start from the contour of the bumber inside and then trim to fit the frontwall of the car.
paroxysm
My bumpers were from A.I.R and had brackets but that didn't help me much, with lining them up. The front bumper need to have material added to bring it up flush with the hood. I also filed the original mounting holes on the car lower, to move the bumper down to meet the fender. The rear bumper I had to cut the top off and raise it about an inch to get it looking right, then also lengthen the sides to meet the fender lip.

I can take measurements of my brackets if you need them to get you in the right area, but the bumpers will only fit as nice as the time you put into them.
Larouex
QUOTE(paroxysm @ Dec 3 2008, 08:53 PM) *

... but the bumpers will only fit as nice as the time you put into them.

I think this is the advice I will take, even a measurement of the brackets for one set, will need to be fitted to get it right and I agree with you. I have ideas to get it fitted now. Thanks everyone.
CliffBraun
QUOTE(Larouex @ Dec 3 2008, 09:58 PM) *

QUOTE(paroxysm @ Dec 3 2008, 08:53 PM) *

... but the bumpers will only fit as nice as the time you put into them.

I think this is the advice I will take, even a measurement of the brackets for one set, will need to be fitted to get it right and I agree with you. I have ideas to get it fitted now. Thanks everyone.

Didn't make it out there today, But I can take a sheet of engineering paper with me and trace them out onto it, along with taking pics, next time I head out if you feel it'll be at all useful. FWIW my front bumper fit decently as it came.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Larouex @ Dec 2 2008, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 2 2008, 09:27 PM) *

In my case, both brakets on the front bumber are gone. But your technique is solid, I just need to start from the contour of the bumber inside and then trim to fit the frontwall of the car.

Ooops, Sorry, didn't read that you had no brackets at all. confused24.gif
Scott S
Be carefull not to rotate the front bumper up - I see this all of the time. The size of the bumper "top" should be consistant all the way across. It should not get narrower as you get to the center of the hood. see below..
Click to view attachment

I am not a huge fan of these bumpers (especially being that they are on my car and not removable). But they really look funny/bad when the front one is rotated up to meet the hood.
Larouex
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 4 2008, 09:26 AM) *

Be carefull not to rotate the front bumper up - I see this all of the time. The size of the bumper "top" should be consistant all the way across. It should not get narrower as you get to the center of the hood. see below..
Click to view attachment

I am not a huge fan of these bumpers (especially being that they are on my car and not removable). But they really look funny/bad when the front one is rotated up to meet the hood.

Ahh, I didn't get your point initially, but I checked out your site and I see the difference you point out. I attached two pictures I snagged from google and it shows the issue you raise.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
CliffBraun
http://lolinter.net/fail/9140/

225-228 are pics of the backside of the bumper and mount.

I'll try to remember to take something to trace them out on with me later today.
Larouex
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Dec 7 2008, 11:21 AM) *

http://lolinter.net/fail/9140/

225-228 are pics of the backside of the bumper and mount.

I'll try to remember to take something to trace them out on with me later today.

Thanks, those pictures help a lot to get an idea of what was supposed to be there!

Larryj
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.