Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Large odd shapped items..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
I need to send some steel cross th country.
Fenders and such. sad.gif
I heard of using Greyhound Bus service as an inexpensive alternative to
commercial freight service.
How does that work ?
Can someone who has already done this chime in with thier experiance and
Pics if you got um.

rhodyguy
you'll need to buy some sheets of plywood for the fender boxes.
boxstr
Pack them in a box, small bicycle boxes are a good size for fenders. Locate a local Greyhound bus station, and then send them to the Greyhound bus station closest tot the buyers home.
CCLINDOGRIDER
914werke
Screw the plywood I said Cheap! Ill check into the cycle boxes.
these might be too big for evan those. Perhaps MC boxes?

Nobody with 1st hand experiance?

BTW Kev when are you coming up here to PU Craig's Dash cores?
computers4kids
I've shipped big parts in a "Big Screen TV" box via greyhound. They should be plentiful around now...just drive through a Best Buy parking lot on a weekend.
bandjoey
I think the USPO Flat rate box - about $13.00 - is up to 185" and 75 lbs...like a bike box. Measure around the box and add the length. Bike Box might fit the size.
boxstr
USPS Flat rate boxes are 11"x8.5"x5.5" and 14"x3.5"x12" The rate is $9.50 up to 75 pounds. It doesn't sound like they will be big enough for what Rich is shipping.

My first hand experience was sending a front fender in a bicycle box FEDEX to Florida. Cost was $45.98 Ground.

I have also sent 4 wheels with tires Greyhound to different locations in California and Arizona. I would take two wheels and tires and tie wrap them together. They may want you to put them in a plastic bag. Cost was $95. to Calif. and $110. to Az.
Good luck.
CCLINBIGDOGRIDE
Dominic
I sent two decklids (front & rear) via Greyhound a few years back, and I built a small crate around them to protect them. No problem at all, just go to the bus station first to get the dimentions of the large bin that the box or crate will fit into.

Cheers!
Wilhelm
How about shipping items to foreign countrys? I sent a large flat rate box to Thailand 12" x 12" x 6" at 18 pounds and it cost $50. However I'm trying to figure how to sent a 27 pound package to Austrailia that measures 6" x 16" x 24' and all I can come up with on fedex, ups, and dhl are rates greater than $200!!!!!!! Whats the secret here!!!!???
ericread
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Dec 4 2008, 01:30 AM) *

How about shipping items to foreign countrys? I sent a large flat rate box to Thailand 12" x 12" x 6" at 18 pounds and it cost $50. However I'm trying to figure how to sent a 27 pound package to Austrailia that measures 6" x 16" x 24' and all I can come up with on fedex, ups, and dhl are rates greater than $200!!!!!!! Whats the secret here!!!!???

I don't think Greyhound drives to Thailand or Australia. sad.gif
Dr. Roger
third vote for cardboard boxes and packing tape via Greyhound

my sheridan flares came from Fla to Cali with no hitches and no scratches.

i will use them again.
914rrr
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Dec 4 2008, 04:30 AM) *

Unfortunately, the days of sending large boxes overseas via parcel post are over, my friend. International shipping via air freight (USPS, UPS and FEDX) are your only options, and they have limited the max size box you can send.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ericread @ Dec 4 2008, 10:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Wilhelm @ Dec 4 2008, 01:30 AM) *

I don't think Greyhound drives to Thailand or Australia. sad.gif

av-943.gif Are you sure? blink.gif av-943.gif
Dr Evil
I shipped the rear hatch of my bus to Scotty B without a box. I just wrote the address on it and dropped it off. They raised an eyebrow, but if it looks like it wont hurt anything and wont get hurt they will likely not care. Of ot has edges all you need to do is tape cardboard around them so they done mess up anyone stuff.
effutuo101
UPS and Fed ex prices are up sharply. I mailed a package via Fedex on Friday and it was double what I paid 6 months ago, so, I went to UPS to ship some stuff on Saturday (ground) and it was about $75 more than the last time I shipped. If you can use the grey dog, do it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.