Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice on tire size
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnnie5
Still pondering what size to run. Fuchs are 15X6. I understand that 195's will fit no problem with no rolling. Some have said if your lucky, even 205's...depending the brand and offset I guess. I was thinking, stay safe and go 195's. The tire chart here says that 195.65's are just about equal to stock circumference. Is anyone running these? What about 195.50's 55's 60's?

Any feedback would be much appreciated...
Solo914
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Dec 4 2008, 09:56 AM) *

Still pondering what size to run. Fuchs are 15X6. I understand that 195's will fit no problem with no rolling. Some have said if your lucky, even 205's...depending the brand and offset I guess. I was thinking, stay safe and go 195's. The tire chart here says that 195.65's are just about equal to stock circumference. Is anyone running these? What about 195.50's 55's 60's?

Any feedback would be much appreciated...

I just put Bridgestone 195/50/15 RE-01Rs on and they fit perfect. They measure out more like a 205/50 and they have just about the best dry performance of any tire right now. I bought them when Tirerack had a $100 rebate because they are on the spendy side for 15s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...=Potenza+RE-01R

a more affordable option is the Hankook Vetus RS2 205-50-15. I ran these for 3 years on my miata and then swapped them to the 914 for a year or so. If you are just daily driving them, the performance/$$ is unequal with how cheap this tire is.

Kyle
johnnie5
Thanks for the info Kyle.

I guess hearing about what brand you guys have had luck with is a good question too.

Unfortunately, I have spent so much money on the conversion parts, AND a new 2056... $$$ is getting LOW!!!

I realize rubber is not the place to scrimp - So , not to be a nit-picker....

What is a tried brand, reasonably priced?

Thanks,
Johnnie5

Solo914
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Dec 4 2008, 10:31 AM) *

I guess hearing about what brand you guys have had luck with is a good question too.

Unfortunately, I have spent so much money on the conversion parts, AND a new 2056... $$$ is getting LOW!!!

Thanks,
Johnnie5

Daily Driving? Summer only? I don't drive my 914 in the snow so I don't buy tires for anything but dry and wet traction. Absolutely do not drive your 914 on these tires. I put my miata into a ditch doing O mph on a street that you could not even tell there was a slope on Falken Azenis.

Summer Tires(Most grip on top, top 5 are real close)
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Yokohama Neovo(not made in a 15")
Bridgestone RE-01r
Toyo R1R
Kumho XS
Falken Azenis RT615
Hankook RS2
Kumho MX

As for the affordable side:

Hankook Rs2(195-$77, 205-$94)
Kumho XS(205-$97)
Kumho MX(205-$85)
Falken RT615(205-$81)

I think all the rest are over $100/tire.

Kyle

PS: OOOh, just notice that the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec is a 195/55/15(perfect for the 914), is $87 a tire Tire Rack and may have a $50 rebate. Check it out.
chocolate.curry
QUOTE(Solo914 @ Dec 4 2008, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Dec 4 2008, 10:31 AM) *

Thanks,
Johnnie5

Daily Driving? Summer only? I don't drive my 914 in the snow so I don't buy tires for anything but dry and wet traction. Absolutely do not drive your 914 on these tires. I put my miata into a ditch doing O mph on a street that you could not even tell there was a slope on Falken Azenis.

Summer Tires(Most grip on top, top 5 are real close)
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec
Yokohama Neovo(not made in a 15")
Bridgestone RE-01r
Toyo R1R
Kumho XS
Falken Azenis RT615
Hankook RS2
Kumho MX

As for the affordable side:

Hankook Rs2(195-$77, 205-$94)
Kumho XS(205-$97)
Kumho MX(205-$85)
Falken RT615(205-$81)

I think all the rest are over $100/tire.

Kyle

PS: OOOh, just notice that the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec is a 195/55/15(perfect for the 914), is $87 a tire Tire Rack and may have a $50 rebate. Check it out.

I just mounted a set of the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on my 914, my rims were 15x6 and they fit perfectly. Grip is really good for the price after rebate. I don't have a lot of experience with high performance summer tires but these get really great reviews and wet traction is supposed to be better than the Falkens.
IronHillRestorations
I like 195/60's myself. A compromise toward ride quality though. A lower profile gets you better handling, and harsher ride.
74 sunflower 914
Hi,

I have 195/65 15 Yokohamas on 4-bolt Fuchs wheels with stock fenders and have had no problems with rubbing. If I recall 205/50's will also fit.
johnnie5
I like the lower profile of a 195/50, but ride is a absolutely a factor. Since my car is a street ride/weekend warrior and not a track/race car...I am leaning toward a 195/60 or even 65. No sense in jarring all of the fillings out of my mouth on a pleasant weekend run!

Also...what makes the 195/65 more appealing is that the diameter is very close to stock. (according to 9worlds tire computer)

MartyYeoman
QUOTE(74 sunflower 914 @ Dec 4 2008, 11:35 AM) *

Hi,

I have 195/65 15 Yokohamas on 4-bolt Fuchs wheels with stock fenders and have had no problems with rubbing. If I recall 205/50's will also fit.

agree.gif I'm running 205-50 Yokohamas without issue on 4-bolt Fuchs wheels with stock fenders.
johnnie5
Marty,
How is the ride on the 205/50's? What were you running before?
7TPorsh
Truly thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
johnnie5
Also....curious if anyone has tried to mount 205/60's and not have them fit under the stock rear lip?
PeeGreen 914
50s and 55s give a more agressive feel. The 60s would be softer and closer to keeping the speedo accurate. I like 50s and would like 45s but can't find them in the tire I like. I run Toyo RA1s and love them. They are good in the rain for a race tire too.... note, for a race tire wink.gif
markb
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Dec 4 2008, 05:09 PM) *

Also....curious if anyone has tried to mount 205/60's and not have them fit under the stock rear lip?

They fit on a couple of my cars without a problem. Some folks have had to roll the lip a bit, but not me.
orthobiz
195/65s.

Who refinished the wheels?
How much?
Where are the pics????

Paul
VaccaRabite
If you are buying summer tires, please remember that they start turning into hockey pucks when ambient temps get under 50. Under 40, most of them will be dangerous.

I still think that DrEvils tires were to blame for his accident last spring. Summer tires on a cold damp road == hello telephone pole.

Zach
johnnie5
Zach,
I live in San Diego....And I don't even bring my car out of the garage unless the sun is at least in between the clouds. So summer tires will work ok for me.

Paul,
I haven't even picked up the 'new' wheels yet....tomorrow. But I already know what to expect - Awesome. I will post a pic once I get them. They are U.S. Wheels in El Cajon CA and I am aready fully aware of their reputation, for those of you in SoCal, they do it to it!

Mark,
I guess you are one of the lucky ones...don't know if I want to take the gamble!
maf914
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Dec 4 2008, 05:09 PM) *

I have 205/60 tires mounted on 6.5 x 15 Revolution wheels with 5-1/8" back spacing under completely stock fenders on my 76. There remains about 1/4" clearance to the inner lip of the rear fenders. I went with 60's to keep the tire diameter close to the original 165 x 15 tires.
Lavanaut
Eagle GT 195/60s on deep 6s. Tires are pretty new to the market, but have been getting good to very good reviews. Affordable too. I like them so far, though I've only put a couple hundred miles on them, if that. I like the fact that the 60s keep the speedo pretty honest.

Review here, and another.

Let's see pics of your wheels! chowtime.gif

Click to view attachment
Drums66
[quote name='Lavanaut' date='Dec 5 2008, 10:41 AM' post='1108517' I like the fact that the 60s keep the speedo pretty honest.

That's the reason I use that size...............Just a different brand tire
*Pirelli's*
johnnie5
Thanks guys, for all of the great input! Very helpful to me. I actually stopped by my local Discount tire store on the way home to try and narrow my decision. I spoke with one of the counter guys there, and explained my case. He was very helpful as well (as always there), and found a brand that had the same model tire in all 3 sizes - 205/50, 195/60, and 195/65. The brand was Falken, BTW. It was good to see all 3 tires next to each other. From what I saw, and the input you guys were kind enough to offer....I have decided a 195/60/15 is best suited for my needs.

I had already been looking at the Eagle Gt (among other tires) - and after further consideration, have decided this is the tire I will go with.

Lavanaut, thanks for the reviews...they helped me solidify my decision. I will take some pics of the wheels tomorrow when its light out and post them . They look great! Paul and the guys at U.S. Wheels did a fantastic job for $100 a wheel with inlay. They are in El Cajon CA (east San Diego, 30 min. from downtown).

2056 McMark motor (w all new ignition), 2.0 ssi's, 2.0 Bursch, new Bilsteins all around, new Welt 100's, 911 front struts w PMB calipers, PMB 5 lug trailers, new 6 rotors, refinished Fuchs w new rubber - ALL GOING IN NEXT WEEK!!!

HEY - Its only money!!! blink.gif

Does anybody need any electrical work done? bye1.gif
Joe Owensby
195 65 Michelins from Cosco. For daily driver, all weather. They fit well, ride quiet, and handle well to me. Don't plan to autocross, so that is not important to me. Speedometer is off by about 5mph at 70 per GPS. Not sure if this is due to tires or just old speedo.
johnnie5
There has been mention made of some sort of a rebate for tire rack? Any info?

15X6J back from the refinisher... piratenanner.gif
mattp
i just (yesterday) had 205/55 falken azenis installed on my 4 bolt fuchs, fantastic difference! handling is like night and day better, for long highway rides it would be a bit much, but who cares? Its a play toy for me and it makes it much more enjoyable! my 2 cents. Matt
Lavanaut
QUOTE(johnnie5 @ Dec 6 2008, 01:22 PM) *

There has been mention made of some sort of a rebate for tire rack? Any info?

15X6J back from the refinisher... piratenanner.gif

smilie_pokal.gif Who did em?
johnnie5
smilie_pokal.gif Who did em?
[/quote]

Read post #21 top of page 2 type.gif

U.S. Wheels
1000 W. Bradley Ave. Unit Q
El Cajon, CA 92020
619-596-8033
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.