Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pictures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

Found a few places that sell the fiberglass targa bars, but no before and after pictures.

Know where there are some pictures?

Thanks.
SirAndy
I know Roger Sheridan makes one but i'm not sure which of the cars on his website have it installed.

Just email him and ask, he's usually very good at getting back to people ...
bye1.gif Andy

914 FIBERGLASS TARGA BAR $450.00 (APPROX. WEIGHT 4 LBS.)

http://www.ultimate914.com/MOTORSPORTS_WE/...DARD_BODYx.html
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2008, 05:01 PM) *

I know Roger Sheridan makes one but i'm not sure which of the cars on his website have it installed.

Just email him and ask, he's usually very good at getting back to people ...
bye1.gif Andy

914 FIBERGLASS TARGA BAR $450.00 (APPROX. WEIGHT 4 LBS.)

http://www.ultimate914.com/MOTORSPORTS_WE/...DARD_BODYx.html

Thanks Andy.

I'm not sure whether or not it makes sense to cut the targa top off. If you do you have to add cross members to effect the same load carried by the targa roof. Net weight gain might not be that much. This might be one of those projects that take a huge amount of time, but not much gain...
SirAndy
But the weight is high in the car. Plus, the cage is already taking some of that load. I would think a lower brace across the top of the firewall together with scab plates from the firewall to the cage should be enough for that area.

Your cage does tie into the rear shock towers, right?
idea.gif Andy
URY914
There is A LOT of steel in the targa bar. Cut off if you can. But please add back a f/g one. 914's look stupid w/o the t-bar.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 4 2008, 11:28 PM) *

But the weight is high in the car. Plus, the cage is already taking some of that load. I would think a lower brace across the top of the firewall together with scab plates from the firewall to the cage should be enough for that area.

Your cage does tie into the rear shock towers, right?
idea.gif Andy

Not yet, that is the base project, i.e, to tie the front and rear shock towers to the cage.

I am also eliminating the (upper) front hoop, so nothing will be in front of the driver.

Will be adding a down tube from the (top of) back hoop to the top of the front hoop, which resides below the streering wheel.

I already have big scab plates and a triangle forward to brace the front hoop.

I'll post a picture.

Click to view attachment[
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 5 2008, 06:08 AM) *

There is A LOT of steel in the targa bar. Cut off if you can. But please add back a f/g one. 914's look stupid w/o the t-bar.

Hey Paul,

I'm trying to find a picture of a 914 without the targa bar, but no luck so far, but I believe you about the car looking stupid without the bar.

I can't even find a picture of a f/g one or how they are attached.
URY914
I have some shots of non-Tbar cars on the home PC.

On my car I cut off the seam that runs up the back side of the panel (the area that the aluminum trim piece covers) and peeled the face steel off sail panel. The single layer of steel weighs very little. Do the same with the T-bar top section.
URY914
biggrin.gif
URY914
biggrin.gif
J P Stein
I don't dislike the targa bar removed except for the feeling it looses the distinctiveness of the 914....whether that is good or bad is subjective. biggrin.gif

I need to loose about 150lbs from the shitbox to get to E Mod minimum. The targa bar is in danger with its 18 or so lbs. Thus far I've only got about 65lbs on a short list.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 6 2008, 11:54 AM) *

I don't dislike the targa bar removed except for the feeling it looses the distinctiveness of the 914....whether that is good or bad is subjective. biggrin.gif

I need to loose about 150lbs from the shitbox to get to E Mod minimum. The targa bar is in danger with its 18 or so lbs. Thus far I've only got about 65lbs on a short list.

E-Mod minimum? What weight is that JP? Oh, maybe you're saying the weight loss necessary to be competitive in E-Mod.

My next big decision, after the "subjective"Targa bar one is losing all the fenders and going for f/g ones.

Bontempi has a body kit that can be made real thin. I'll have to ask him what the total kit weighs so net loss can be figured out.
J P Stein
Minimum weight is 1750 with driver or around 1575 without.
The loss of 150 lbs would get me there but that alone is not enough to get to competitive at the national level. I'd also need better tires and a way to get them to work under the car. I'm gonna do some trans mods which I hope will help. Some top drawer shocks.......I need a lotto win the whole package. biggrin.gif

Not much to be gained with FG fenders, me thinks......but I've been wrong before. The whole Sheridan body kit would be a big help....pricy sumbitch tho and some well thought out reinforcements to replace the missing metal.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 7 2008, 09:54 AM) *

Bontempi has a body kit that can be made real thin.

Hmmm, i really like the current look of your car ...

Maybe stockish FG fenders with FG flares riveted to them?
idea.gif Andy
URY914
You need some of my door skins.
J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 7 2008, 12:40 PM) *

You need some of my door skins.

How much dollars American?
How'd you do at the Flordia AX Championship?
URY914
A guy showed up with a real DM car and kicked my ass. It was a former DSR that weighed 800 pounds and had a 1000cc Yamaha in it. sad.gif

But I had a bigger wing.... biggrin.gif

I'll PM you about the skins
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 7 2008, 12:17 PM) *

Minimum weight is 1750 with driver or around 1575 without.
The loss of 150 lbs would get me there but that alone is not enough to get to competitive at the national level. I'd also need better tires and a way to get them to work under the car. I'm gonna do some trans mods which I hope will help. Some top drawer shocks.......I need a lotto win the whole package. biggrin.gif

Not much to be gained with FG fenders, me thinks......but I've been wrong before. The whole Sheridan body kit would be a big help....pricy sumbitch tho and some well thought out reinforcements to replace the missing metal.

You mean that E Mod SCCA guy with the Sprint is 1575# without the driver?
J P Stein
Sprint?....Sprite.......I gotta look at the book.
Oops, we can be at 1700 with driver. The Sprite is a bit tougher,
2 rotor is 1700, 3 rotor is 1800.....minus 50 lbs if less than 51 % of its weight is over the rear wheels. This is last year's, 2007, rule book. I think they made some changes for 2008. Gotta go online to look at that.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 7 2008, 03:57 PM) *

A guy showed up with a real DM car and kicked my ass. It was a former DSR that weighed 800 pounds and had a 1000cc Yamaha in it. sad.gif

But I had a bigger wing.... biggrin.gif

I'll PM you about the skins

What do the skins weight Paul and how are they attached?

Thanks.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 7 2008, 07:22 PM) *

Sprint?....Sprite.......I gotta look at the book.
Oops, we can be at 1700 with driver. The Sprite is a bit tougher,
2 rotor is 1700, 3 rotor is 1800.....minus 50 lbs if less than 51 % of its weight is over the rear wheels. This is last year's, 2007, rule book. I think they made some changes for 2008. Gotta go online to look at that.

Right, a Sprite.

If they say that the minimum weight has to be X with the driver or Y without, how does that work? It can't be either or as that would give the creative folks a big advantage.

Also are you saying that if my car has 51% of it's weight over the rear wheels that I could go down to 1650# with the driver?

byndbad914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 6 2008, 12:54 PM) *

... The targa bar is in danger with its 18 or so lbs...

Is that really all that the targa section weighs if you cut the whole thing off? I have to admit I assumed a lot more but wouldn't be surprised given how they intelligently boxed every section.

I have to admit I am always rather amazed how efficient the 914 base structure is - I start looking to hack weight out of my car and realize I could spend another $2K in fiberglass bits and save maybe 60-70lbs overall v. just working the existing steel parts.
J P Stein
At SCCA events (Tour & Nats) the car is weighed with the driver in it for the Mod classes.
LESS that 51% on the drive wheels gets you a 50 lb reduction......that would be N/A for a 914, but the Sprite might get it.
I've heard 12 to 18 lbs for the Targa bar.....you pick one.biggrin.gif
URY914
Randal,

Skins are 5-8 pounds. No provisions for hinges. You can attach them with dzus or chop up a factory door to use the hinges. They are only the outer skin.
J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 8 2008, 05:11 AM) *

Randal,

Skins are 5-8 pounds. No provisions for hinges. You can attach them with dzus or chop up a factory door to use the hinges. They are only the outer skin.

Dollars, American? per pair?.....WAG, clue? biggrin.gif
URY914
Between $80-100 each. Cheaper when you buy 2 at once. There are other sources also.
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 8 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Between $80-100 each. Cheaper when you buy 2 at once. There are other sources also.

Hey Paul, I'm assuming you have these on your car and if so could you post a close up of how they are attached.

Thank you.
J P Stein
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 8 2008, 07:45 PM) *

I think I'd want the light ones @ 16.00 per pound rather than the heavy ones @ 12.50 per pound. biggrin.gif
I'll get back to you after I see what the wife has done at Christmas.
URY914
Randal,

They are mounted on my car a LITTLE different than most 914's....

URY914
I used four dzus fasteners to hold it on when the skins were on in place of the stock doors.

This is about the only old picture I can find of it.
URY914
Joe Ricard had a pair of my skins mounted to the door frame so he could still use the hinges. Although I've never seen a picture of them.
URY914
Compare...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...ass-Door-Skins_
W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42611QQihZ003QQitemZ130240495480QQtcZphoto
grantsfo
Here's a cheaper version. http://rennspd.com/P_Detail.asp?PID=376&Task=STD

Nice to see somone take Emod seriously with a 914. Go Randal!
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 9 2008, 05:45 PM) *

Randal,

Now that panel would weigh a lot less than standard fenders and door, but lots of work to incorporate the panel - if I wanted to retain the cf hood and trunk.

It does get one to thinking, but now I understand how your car got to be mostly tube frames Paul.
EdwardBlume
Randal... I'll PM or email you with picts....
J P Stein
Rob, how are you doing with that new race car?
Plans, pix?
Joe Ricard
Yep I got some of them FG skins. I put them on gutted late doors.
Actually not completely gutted as I still had roll up window using early winders. I just bonded the FG to where the buggered up steel outer was. No outer door handle, just a hole to poke a screw driver through.
With both pieces of glass each door was 21 pounds.

blabla914

Randal,

Paul,

That is a really creative take on the rule that says the door may be attached with dzus fasteners, but must be removable. I love it.

Kelly
URY914
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Dec 31 2008, 06:31 PM) *

Randal,

Paul,

That is a really creative take on the rule that says the door may be attached with dzus fasteners, but must be removable. I love it.

Kelly

Rules never made anybody faster. You can quote me on that one. shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.