Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: All I wanted was door glass mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
It has been about a year since I went to the local glass shop to have some door mirror glass cut. Well, guess what! There are new FEDERAL guide lines about the mirror glass. It has to be a special type of mirror glass. It has to be anti-refective and glare resistant. They said they would have to order it from the car mirror cataloge. I just started laughing. Guess what, NO mirror listed. So we went out to the shop and got a large 70's Chevy pickup mirror and cut two glasses out of it. Who knows what is NEXT!!!!!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2008, 12:37 PM) *

It has been about a year since I went to the local glass shop to have some door mirror glass cut. Well, guess what! There are new FEDERAL guide lines about the mirror glass. It has to be a special type of mirror glass. It has to be anti-refective and glare resistant. They said they would have to order it from the car mirror cataloge. I just started laughing. Guess what, NO mirror listed. So we went out to the shop and got a large 70's Chevy pickup mirror and cut two glasses out of it. Who knows what is NEXT!!!!!

we will have perfect 5" and 5 1/4" next week. They are die cut so now perfect.
messix
uhm..... a mirror that is anit-reflective...... i don't see how you could have a mirror that is anti-reflective.... it wouldn't be a mirror then would it? slap.gif av-943.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 4 2008, 12:22 PM) *

uhm..... a mirror that is anit-reflective...... i don't see how you could have a mirror that is anti-reflective.... it wouldn't be a mirror then would it? slap.gif av-943.gif

Well, we ARE talking about the federal government ........................

The Cap'n
Trav012000
My dad owns a glass company here and I temper glass for him. And I'll tell you, I've never heard of anti-reflective mirror. WTF.gif
zonedoubt
Whoever said anti-reflective, probably meant reduced reflectivity. So that bright lights from behind don't wash out the mirror.

Aspheric mirrors: http://www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/boxster/mirrors.html
r_towle
QUOTE(Trav012000 @ Dec 4 2008, 05:08 PM) *

My dad owns a glass company here and I temper glass for him. And I'll tell you, I've never heard of anti-reflective mirror. WTF.gif

can you temper any shape?
Custom side windows with no front fake wind wing?

Rich
914Sixer
Yes, my choice of words was incorrect. It should have said reduced reflectivity. I am adding pictures this morning to show the difference if that is possible. The new mirrors are much darker. The PLUS is that the mirrors can be used on either side because they are mirrored on both sides.
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2008, 11:37 AM) *

So we went out to the shop and got a large 70's Chevy pickup mirror and cut two glasses out of it. Who knows what is NEXT!!!!!

Mr. Heard, I'm Officer Chip Glass, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary from the National Institute of Standards and Technology, Department of Reformulated Silicon Reflectivity. It has come to our attention that you may have violated federal code in the use of non-conforming mirror product in your 914 conveyance. Furthermore, said non-conforming mirror product, coming from a "70's Chevy pickup" likely violates good taste.

It is therefore, my sworn duty to demand that said mirrors be packed carefully and shipped to an undisclosed location for evaluation.

Thank you for your cooperation and Have A Good Day! happy11.gif
rfuerst911sc
How is the mirror glass replaced? What holds it in place? What are the remove and replace steps? I need to do this on one of my mirrors.
GeorgeRud
The mirror is held in place by the black plastic surround. If you carefully pry the plastic trim out, the mirror will come out.

There is also a plastic piece that holds the mirror in the frame that sits behind the glass piece. It's really pretty self evident when you get it apart, just be patient.

Be sure it's warm enough when you are prying on the black plastic, if it's too cold, it may crack.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cheapsnake @ Dec 5 2008, 09:47 AM) *

Mr. Heard, I'm Officer Chip Glass,

That's good av-943.gif
BOXSTER
Pry the plastic on the long part rather than the short section of plastic, it will come out easier. Also when you replace the glass, make sure that it does not come in contact with the nuts on the inside of the mirror, it will crack the glass.
CCLINREFLECTIVEGLASS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.