Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any freelance car painters in SoCal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
Car is prepped and ready for paint. Looking to spend around $1000 for the job. It can be painted in my garage. I would do it but after all this work I really don't want to mess it up. I've already checked with Maaco, One Day and the other guys and it won't work with them. They want to paint the car together as a roller. Anybody got any referals?
914helo
This sounds like something my co-worker just shared with me:

"A blonde teenager, wanting to earn some extra money for the summer, decided to hire herself out as a 'handy-woman' and started canvassing a nearby well-to-do neighborhood. She went to the front door of the first house, and asked the owner if he had any odd jobs for her to do.

'Well, I guess I could use somebody to paint my porch,' he said, 'How much will you charge me?'

Delighted, the girl quickly responded, 'How about $50?'

The man agreed and told her that the paint brushes and everything she would need was in the garage. The man's wife, hearing the conversation said to her husband, 'Does she realize that our porch goes ALL the way around the house?'
He responded, 'That's a bit cynical, isn't it?'

The wife replied, 'You're right. I guess I'm starting to believe all those dumb blonde jokes we've been getting by e-mail lately.'

Later that day, the blonde came to the door to collect her money.

'You're finished already?' the startled husband asked.

'Yes', the blonde replied, 'and I even had paint left over, so I gave it two coats.'

Impressed, the man reached into his pocket for the $50.00 and handed it to her along with a ten dollar tip.

'And by the way,' the blonde added, 'it's not a Porch, it's a Lexus.'" biggrin.gif

7TPorsh
i was in your spot a little while ago. Decided that after slaveing away on prep, I couln't afford a pro job and I couldn't trust a "freelancer". Two cam by and looked and I just was too scared.

I ended up doing it myself using a $85 Costo compressor, $35 spray gun of ebay, and less than $90 of paint materials from a local, and I mean local, auto paint guy. Sherman Williams Western brand synthetic enamel.

Prep an extra panel just like the car and practice.

Here is my thread so far:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=90174&hl=

Hell, I'll bring my stuff up and spray it for $1000.

Post a pic of the prepped carpainting? Do you want to go one or two stage?

ahdoman
Actually, I got a really good guy coming to do it.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 5 2008, 09:49 PM) *

i was in your spot a little while ago. Decided that after slaveing away on prep, I couln't afford a pro job and I couldn't trust a "freelancer". Two cam by and looked and I just was too scared.

I ended up doing it myself using a $85 Costo compressor, $35 spray gun of ebay, and less than $90 of paint materials from a local, and I mean local, auto paint guy. Sherman Williams Western brand synthetic enamel.

Prep an extra panel just like the car and practice.

Here is my thread so far:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=90174&hl=

Hell, I'll bring my stuff up and spray it for $1000.

Post a pic of the prepped carpainting? Do you want to go one or two stage?

That's awesome. smilie_pokal.gif

Is that an off the shelf black, or did they mix you a porsche paint code color?
7TPorsh
Thanks...Off the shelf Coach Black 'cause black is black. He looked up the codes and saw that Porsche black is pure. Lexus and Benz blacks have a little blue. Aston Martin code has yellow and orange mixed in. I researched it all and decided i wanted the deepest black available.

He can mix any color. Rob's Auto Paint in Eagle Rock...one in downtown LA too. Hole in the wall shack but he's got the paints, mixer et al.

All the work is in the prep and the cut and polish...spraying turned out to be really easy...
sww914
In the late 80's, Ford had 5 different blacks in one year. They really looked different if they were side by side, other than that they were just black.
Now the US automakers are crying that they don't have any money but they do stupid shit like have 5 blacks in one year. Huh, wonder why they don't have any money?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.