Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exterior mirror question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Lavanaut
The mirror on the right is the one I pulled of my /6 to be replaced with the one on the left. When I initially saw the dull, non-reflective base I assumed it was a cheap-o aftermarket/MIM part. But the NOS one I purchased was identical when it arrived, down to the part # stamped on the back.

What gives, anyone know? It looks like the base is a different material and just plated to match? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
Looks like the chrome has been stipped off the base of the old mirror.
Lavanaut
Agreed, wonder why though? Base must be a different substrate. I was curious if this was common on OEM parts.
914runnow
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 8 2008, 07:22 AM) *

Looks like the chrome has been stipped off the base of the old mirror.

Ditto......According to the factory parts manual..1/80 print....section..8/11..
part #7....was sold as an entire unit...I know I have seen roughly 90 to 100
914's over the years...never as your pic.....Save it though....
Maybe it was beer 30 that day on the assembly line!!!! beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Dec 4 2008, 06:34 PM) *

The mirror on the right is the one I pulled of my /6 to be replaced with the one on the left. When I initially saw the dull, non-reflective base I assumed it was a cheap-o aftermarket/MIM part. But the NOS one I purchased was identical when it arrived, down to the part # stamped on the back.

What gives, anyone know? It looks like the base is a different material and just plated to match? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

I think you have grounds for a warranty claim!
av-943.gif
McMark
Is it painted?
Lavanaut
Negative. Looks like it may have been chromed at one point and all the plating just flaked off over time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.