Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Philosophical Question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
greenie
Pleasure ?

Accomplishment?

Lack of self esteem?

This is how I spent each evening this week.

Cutting out the safety rail & fixing the dents behind the rail.

Mr. Sixnotfour said "oh that's easy".......

I don't think so....I'm just looking for some ideas ...what's my motivation for this pain?
ConeDodger
Curt, You are under orders from the General. There is no philosophy. Only duty.

Did you get those flares cut off yet?
r_towle
lack of self
need for acceptance

and damn...your slow..
that is a two hour job.....laugh.gif

Rich
greenie
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 4 2008, 08:25 PM) *

Curt, You are under orders from the General. There is no philosophy. Only duty.

Did you get those flares cut off yet?

I'm still working on "the Generals" orders.
greenie
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 4 2008, 08:40 PM) *

lack of self
need for acceptance

and damn...your slow..
that is a two hour job.....laugh.gif

Rich

Please elaborate on the " lack of self".

Slow I agree, it was like working on a ship in a bottle.
SGB
Face it, we are all C R A Z Y tongue.gif
messix
it keeps the General happy when you aren't in the house buggering... i mean bugging her. happy11.gif av-943.gif
greenie
The chronology:

Saturday Night sad.gif after Thanksgiving) drive home from Mom's house in Oregon.
I'll do some work, start messing around, I'll take the doors off..
no problem.

Monday Night: After stopping by to say Hi to my buddy Nick at EuroTech , he say's "just cut those rails out". On my lunch I spend $30.00 in grinding wheels and an arbor at Tool Town.
Home I go on a mission... I cut the frikin thing out only to find I now cannot get it out of the door panel... It's reverse of the ship in a bottle. I go to bed.

Tuesday: On a mission I starting splitting it in half so I'm able to remove it. My grinding/cut-off wheel becomes to small in diameter, I can't reach the depth I need to cut the formed channel. I go to bed...

Wednesday: More wheels from Tool Town ..come home cut the fucher in half...go to bed.

Thursday: Tonight ! Pleasure, channel is out and I successfully massage the dents out!

Four day's one dent..... welcome.png

ConeDodger
Curt, in science we say that even proving something is wrong is good science. In this case, you have proven Jeff wrong... Good science if you ask me!
johnnie5
AMEN, SGB.....AMEN beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
like any good shrink will ask next...

"and how did that make you feel"???

chair.gif
greenie
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 4 2008, 09:34 PM) *

Curt, in science we say that even proving something is wrong is good science. In this case, you have proven Jeff wrong... Good science if you ask me!

I love this!

Jeff is the Stevie Ray Vaughn of the 914 World, he makes everything he touches look easy.
slow914
Congratulations, it aint that bad plus you last a little weight ehh, every bit counts, now you gotta do the other side to even it out, and no I don't think Ill follow your lead, my door dent just ads character
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

That's all biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
Monday Night: After stopping by to say Hi to my buddy Nick at EuroTech , he say's "just cut those rails out". On my lunch I spend $30.00 in grinding wheels and an arbor at Tool Town.

I wouldnt have cut the beems out. It was a little tiny small crease .

That Car is an easy fix, just visit some of the rust repair threads and you will be Buying me another Beer for Thanks.
sixnotfour
Rob the only thing he's proven is that its a good thing he's white collar for a living. poke.gif laugh.gif

TGIF beer3.gif
iamchappy
Cutting them out is easy compared to putting them back in.......
VaccaRabite
How are you going to get the welder back in there to put them back in? Thats the real trick.

Zach
greenie
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Dec 5 2008, 07:07 AM) *

How are you going to get the welder back in there to put them back in? Thats the real trick.

Zach

I just backdated it like my "74", not ever going back in!
greenie
These were some very thoughtful replies to my philosphical question.

Here's what I learned from the replies:

White collar guy's are very slow... but we do like to beer3.gif and it's a great escape from our white collar world plus I get to use all these cool tools!

Always ask Jeff for advice prior to cutting sawzall-smiley.gif pray.gif

These things are very heavy, probably twenty lbs , 10 gauge steel.

The passenger side structure will remain intact, to counterbalance my fat ass.

"and how did that make you feel"??? Accomplished, tired, when there's a will there's a way. What else am I going to do watch TV?

" lack of self"
need for acceptance I'm still fuzzy on this?
PanelBilly
Come on now, you know you need to cut it out of the passenger side too. Besides, now you've figured it out.

I'm telling you, if you don't cut it out, your tires will wear wrong and the car will corner funny
Wes V
Now you would be really obsessed if you;

Weigh the cross bar sections, drill holes to lighten it, re-weigh it so you know how much weight you removed, then weld it all back in.

Of course, you will have to remove the door skin in order to weld it back in correctly.

A replacement door skin should still be available through Porsche for around $2500. (but is on a 5 month back-order)

Then, as posted prior, you would have to do the same thing to the other door in order to have the car balanced.

Wes
PeeGreen 914
I'm actually planning on cuttng those out of my car too Curt. Want to come over and help? biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I am sure he meant "lack of self-esteem". Put another way, you are ego-dystonic with your persona... You needed to do this to prove your worth to the "World". Having accomplished this you are now ego-syntonic with your image. Now that you are a happy guy maybe you could show us more pictures of the General's bilaterally-symetrical supra-costal sub-epithelial exocrine tissue?

Ask a philisophical question, expect a complicated answer!

By the way, how much did your cuttings weigh?
PanelBilly
I have a set of 73 doors and some off a 75 for parts and the newer ones weigh so much more.

That could be partly due to all the sanding I've done on the 73s trying to make it smooth as glass. By the way, I couldn't handle that the paint on my doors, hood and trunk were not perfect, so I'm sanding off the clear coat and redoing them!

See your not alone in your desease.
r_towle
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 10:24 AM) *

" lack of self"

Well,

We are just happy that you had to think about it for more than a minute, even a day...kinda like the fender flare saga you put us through......

Rich
greenie
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 5 2008, 01:59 PM) *

I am sure he meant "lack of self-esteem". Put another way, you are ego-dystonic with your persona... You needed to do this to prove your worth to the "World". Having accomplished this you are now ego-syntonic with your image. Now that you are a happy guy maybe you could show us more pictures of the General's bilaterally-symetrical supra-costal sub-epithelial exocrine tissue?

Huh? How did a cheer.gif ever learn such fancy words?

Are you taking about Boobs somewhere in that paragraph?

Using my "white collar" intellect , standing on the bathroom scale with these rails in hand it reads 189 lbs. Without the rails ( just me) it reads 175 lbs.

I guess the answer to the weight is 14 lbs!

Definitely worth four nights of my time although the passenger side is staying as is.
greenie
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 5 2008, 05:17 PM) *

QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 10:24 AM) *

" lack of self"

Well,

We are just happy that you had to think about it for more than a minute, even a day...kinda like the fender flare saga you put us through......

Rich

I guess that that saying" paybacks are a bitch" is true. smile.gif

greenie
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 5 2008, 11:37 AM) *

I'm actually planning on cuttng those out of my car too Curt. Want to come over and help? biggrin.gif

Really it's easy Jon, trust me... happy11.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 5 2008, 11:37 AM) *

Really it's easy Jon, trust me... happy11.gif

You're more than welcome to come show me how it's done biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 08:36 PM) *

Yes that is exactly what you owe the community.

Rich
greenie
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 5 2008, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 08:36 PM) *

Yes that is exactly what you owe the community.

Rich

You are a funny guy! biggrin.gif

You gotta let go of the grudges, they'll eat you up. slap.gif
greenie
I'm thinking about listing these in the classifieds?

New and improved "Safety Protection"

Innovative "two piece" construction!

(some welding & assembly required)

I'm not sure on the asking price?
KELTY360
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 07:22 PM) *

I'm thinking about listing these in the classifieds?

New and improved "Safety Protection"

Innovative "two piece" construction!

(some welding & assembly required)

I'm not sure on the asking price?

I'm sure the Krusty One could give you an answer. mad.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(greenie @ Dec 5 2008, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 5 2008, 01:59 PM) *

Huh? How did a cheer.gif ever learn such fancy words?

Using my "white collar" intellect , standing on the bathroom scale with these rails in hand it reads 189 lbs. Without the rails ( just me) it reads 175 lbs.

I guess the answer to the weight is 14 lbs!

Definitely worth four nights of my time although the passenger side is staying as is.

I aren't your average cheer.gif

And you are correct in your deciphering of the technical anatomical language.

Nice work Curt!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.