Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hub removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
I removed a pair of rear hubs from a 71 911. One gave pretty easily with the Eric Shea method using an old tbar and a BFH.
the other one took a whole lot more convincing to come loose. After about an hour of whacking with the tbar and BFH I switched to a impact socket that fit nicely in the partially removed bearing.

With the torsion bar and the socket I mashed the back of the hub a bit.

Is this gonna be a problem when reusing the hub?
Rich Bontempi
If you mashed the edge of the hub that rides against the wheel bearing or the edge that rides against the stub axle, you could have issues with play developing. That wouldn't be a good thing.
echocanyons
it is the edge that rides against the stub axle

Should I sand it down to clean it up?
Joe Bob
Yup....
Eric_Shea
Should I sand it down to clean it up?

Do you have a die grinder? I'd use a variable speed grinder/drill with a round stone bit. Probably should clean it up a bit.

Sometimes they come out with a nice clean whack and sometimes they're impossible. Sounds like you got the best of both worlds.
echocanyons
Thanks again for the tip Eric, I would not have budged them otherwise

there was a bit of rust on the hub to bearing surface, Im sure this was the reason.

I will clean it up with a die grinder.
Eric_Shea
there was a bit of rust on the hub to bearing surface, Im sure this was the reason.

I will clean it up with a die grinder

Make sure you don't use the die grinder on the hub to bearing surface smile.gif

(prolly knew that already... blink.gif )
echocanyons
Yup dont wanna do that
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.