Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody running EMS stinger ECU
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
If you're running an EMS stinger, could you please let me know your thoughts and feelings on the product.
914helo
I'm running (well not until my new starter gets here) my Suby conversion (3.3L) using a Stinger ECU. On my conversion I did almost everything myself. This was part of the fun and I had no rush to complete. However, wiring is not fun to me and after playing around with the stock harness and ECU for a very short while I got the Stinger ECU and harness from Outfront. It's not cheap but it is a 10 minute plug-n-play. I hooked the connections and the motor fired right up. There's no tuning required. Worth every penny! piratenanner.gif It included 3 relays (2 for radiator fans which I already had and was going to have to wire them in myself) and was simple to wire up. I don't have any long-term data as I've only driven about 15 miles on my conversion! However, for me it was worth it. They were very knowledgable even with my less popular SVX engine. I'd recommend it.
Brett W
This guy is running one.
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2408307

DBCooper
That's my car! The Stinger's been running for a little over a month now on an EJ205 WRX motor with an Innovate wide band. The ECU and harness are from Outfront Motorsports and I couldn't be happier. The base map is 95 percent there, runs great as is. The only problem I've had was that a standard Fry's or Best Buy serial to USB cable won't work to access the ECU, you need to be sure it's a null modem cable. Why does anyone use serial ports any more, anyway? Outfront sent the cable and now everything's the way it should be.

That horsepower makes the 914 TREMENDOUS. It's still a momentum car, but now it has great big cojones too.
Carlitos Way
Hey DBC,

Thanks for chiming in. Would you mind sharing your experience with the installation? where did you install your ECU?

Thanks,

Carlos
DBCooper
You can see it in the thread mentioned above: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2408307.

The guy who did the installation was a friend of my son and crew chief on Spoon Racing's last two US Touring Car championship teams. See the stainless plumbing, intake and exhaust? The kid has some very serious skills.

I had Outfront do the harness and set the base map in the Stinger for a stock WRX motor with unrestricted intake and exhaust. It was nearly plug and play and, like I said, is already a monster before I've even had it on the dyno.
Zaney
DBC,
Are you running the 901 gearbox or the Suby?

Could you post some pics of the motor carriage?

Thanks!

Nate
DBCooper
It's a regular side shifter, Carrera front suspension, wheels are 6 front (soon to be 7's) and 7's in the rear. The engine cradle is leaning against the car in one of the photos on that site. It mounts in the standard crossbar locations in the front and the transmisson mounts in the rear. We tried the Smallcar mount, but with the turbo engine the exhaust crosses in the front just where you want the motor mount to go.

By the way, if you want to see more of Jeff's work look at his 55 VW bug with a superbeetle front end grafted on, Corvette wheels and brakes, here: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t...&highlight=

Has he got Skills?

That beetle was originally built as a G-Force Challenge car to take the place of Jack van Wettering's tubeframe bug after they banned it. Northern California autocrossers should remember Jack's car:
IPB Image

Jeff started out turboing a T4 with Scat splitport heads, later switched to the more modern turbo EJ25 Subaru in the later pictures when the G-Force Challenge was discontinued.
Carlitos Way
Time to revive this thread. Is anyone else using an EMS stinger with a NA motor? I'd like to know if you could share your engine connections.

Thanks,

Carlos
pktzygt
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Jun 17 2009, 01:26 PM) *

Time to revive this thread. Is anyone else using an EMS stinger with a NA motor? I'd like to know if you could share your engine connections.

Thanks,

Carlos

I'll let you know in about a month. Outfront tells me it's the one to use. I'm going to get the motor in, measure and then order.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.