Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Fuchs Are More Sought After?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm looking for a set of 7's and 8's but can't decide if I want to go 15" or 16". I'm leaning toward the 15" as I like a full sidewall, nothing smaller then 55 series and leaning toward 60 series tires. I like a softer ride and the car is strictly a weekender, no autox. TireRack seems to still have a pretty good selection in both sizes and I won't need anything wider than a 225 tire.

However; $$$ is always a consideration. So...which size are cheaper 15x8 or 16x8 in the long run? I've got a pair of 16x7 and would consider selling or trading if it makes sense to go to 15's.

Kev
So.Cal.914
I have notices that tire makers seem to be leaning torwards the larger dia. rims.
If you have a set of 16's already just get another set and your done.
jasons
You can get the full set of 15x7 and 8's for the cost of the pair of 16x8's ($700-$800). But tire selection is better for the 16's and will probably stay that way. A clean pair of 16x7's is probably worth $300-$350.
kconway
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Dec 6 2008, 06:40 AM) *

I have notices that tire makers seem to be leaning torwards the larger dia. rims.
If you have a set of 16's already just get another set and your done.

It is true in the past 5 or so years the trend has been to go big in wheel/tire size from the car manufacturers. I wonder with all these smaller fuel effiecient and hybrid cars coming out with tiny wheels if that will still be the case?
pete-stevers
very limited tire selection for 15s sixteens are the way to go.
mind you 16x 8s are not cheep, but if you have time on your side, buy singles
effutuo101
Agreed, I had to special order a set of 15' tires. But, they where 205's. If you stick with 15's make sure to read the date of manufacture on the tire. There was a recent story about a guy who bought a set of 4 (what he thought) brand new tires. Come to find out, the tires where 7 years old. They blew out and killed his son.
the 15's make for a nice ride. so, good luck.
brant
purely from a cost stand point.

6x16, and 7x16 are your most affordable option

lots of people run 7's all the way around
if you don't care about autox or race
(and assuming you have flares because your talking about 8's)
you could buy another pair of 7's and then a pair of spacers and longer studs...

thats your cheapest option
ConeDodger
16X6 wheels are going up in value because these are the core wheels used by Weidman and others to make 16X8.5 wheels. (takes 4 to make 2).
I have found that any 16X6 or 7 can be as high as $250 each. Deals can be found but the range seems to be $150 - $250. I saw one set of reported like new 16X6 and 16X7 Carrera wheels go for $1200 + shipping. You will hear people protesting these prices I am putting here because 914 guys are notoriously cheap.
If you are cheap and don't care about the condition, try buying through the VW sites. VW guys generally have a different economy than Porsche guys and what is worth $1200 a set to the Porsche guys is worth $500 when you buy it from the VW guys... Trust me on this, I could go get a more accurate count but I believe I have almost 20 16X6 and 16X7 wheels. I know the market.

Tire availability is the biggest factor here. As time has gone on, tire companies have made less and less of the smaller sized tires. Even if you don't daily drive your car, the tires will get old and need to be replaced to be safe.

16X8 are much more expensive than I read one person post and less available on the used wheel market. They are available new from Porsche for about $1600 a wheel last I heard.

You can fit 16X6 with 205 50 16 tires under a stock bodied 914 without any fender roll. Some say 7 will fit with a bit of fender roll. I don't actively sell my stash until I am trying to finance something else outside of the household money. If you want either 16X6 or 16X7 contact me by PM and I will see what I have for you.
burton73
It took me a long time to find mine pare and a found a set of 6” an 8” 16” from a special addiction 911. I paid $1,000. Will refinish. 7” and 9” 16’ I paid $1,300. Last year. Polished perfect. 7” and 9” 16’ I paid $1,000. 3 years ago needed rubber and refinishing. . For my Carrera. 2- 7” 16 “ I paid $300. Here last year. I will refinish.

This is a special chart for factory wheels to give you the offsets and the numbers. http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/WheelWts.html

Ebay today
7 +8 16” buy it now $1,850.
7 +8 15” buy it now $1,300. Tires are hard to get

Now with the knowledge that old rubber can break up, I have perfect looking rubber. Rubber that has new nubs with 00 dates on it. It is something to think of when getting wheels. I am sold on 16” but the wide 15” look very cool.

8 -16” are hard to find in the right offset that look right. You want the ones that look deep not like a 7” from the outside. Not 951.362.117.00; offset compatible for front application on 911. This is a 944 set up. CK numbers.

Bob
kconway
How do 944 16x8 Fuchs play in the mix value wise? Are they less preferable over the 911 type for the rear of a flared car? How about 16x7 944 fuchs up front?
Kev
SLITS
I acquired a set of 7 & 8 15s. They don't come close to fitting on a 914 without rolling the flares. I guess the Toyo Proxies 215/60 are a tad big.

The Fuchs carry the 911 part number ... were on a 944. Bought them for $25 each with lug nuts (Each your heart out Bruce ... they ain't for sale). av-943.gif
degreeoff
sheez I'd like a set of the 15x8's (4) anyone selling cheap?
burton73
[quote name='SLITS' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:36 AM' post='1109154']
I acquired a set of 7 & 8 15s. They don't come close to fitting on a 914 without rolling the flares. I guess the Toyo Proxies 215/60 are a tad big."

If you can get 8” 15” in the rear with just the rolling that is nothing. I had to use a bat to fit my 7” up front on my 86 Carrera or they scraped a little. This action with rolling of a baseball bat is not hard as long as you keep it moving and rolling!

On a 914 a 7” wheel in the back is a tight fit that takes some pulling out with Fuchs.

Slits you are always rolling one with Gumby up there. My 22 year old moved back in the house and it always smells like skunk outside now.

Bob

SLITS
[quote name='burton73' date='Dec 7 2008, 03:17 PM' post='1109268']
[quote name='SLITS' date='Dec 7 2008, 08:36 AM' post='1109154']
I acquired a set of 7 & 8 15s. They don't come close to fitting on a 914 without rolling the flares. I guess the Toyo Proxies 215/60 are a tad big."

If you can get 8” 15” in the rear with just the rolling that is nothing. I had to use a bat to fit my 7” up front on my 86 Carrera or they scraped a little. This action with rolling of a baseball bat is not hard as long as you keep it moving and rolling!

On a 914 a 7” wheel in the back is a tight fit that takes some pulling out with Fuchs.

Slits you are always rolling one with Gumby up there. My 22 year old moved back in the house and it always smells like skunk outside now.

Bob
[/quote]

That's the good stuff. Roll one up with him and you won't notice the smell smoke.gif av-943.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(SLITS @ Dec 7 2008, 08:36 AM) *

(Each your heart out Bruce ... they ain't for sale). av-943.gif

I'm suprised Bruce didn't find these first...he seems to find good deals under rocks laugh.gif
Slight highjack....SLITS any hope on your return to cali...for...nia? We miss you down here...OK, the truth...we miss your rustmeet. laugh.gif
kconway
What is the going rate for a single 16x8 needing refinishing (not the Bruce or Ron barn finds). Looking but want to be informed.
Kev
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.