Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery / Starter Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NineOneFour
I have a question for all of you high compression kinda guys. I recently installed a 2056 that has a compression ratio of 9.5 to 1. The stock starter wasn't up to the job, so I installed a high torque mini starter http://www.automotion.com/productpage.aspx...&pid=103294 and a light weight racing battery http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku. I choose this battery because it was the same size as the battery that was in the car when I bought it, but had more cranking amps. The old battery/starter worked fine until I rebuilt the engine.

I now know that the new battery isn't up to the job either so my first question is what type of battery should I be running and how many cold cranking amps are necessary to ensure a reliable start every time? The car came without a battery tray in the engine compartment, the currant battery is installed in the cabin, but I'm thinking about mounting the battery in the front compartment so size isn't an issue.

Question number 2: The starter is not working like it did when I first purchased it. It's cranking slow even if I hook up the battery from my Mustang to it. Could there be something else wrong besides the obvious? Is this starter sufficient? It's still under warranty...

Thanks for your help,
Rodger
Dr. Roger
ummm....

try removing your ground strap from the transaxle to the body, cleaning contact surfaces with sandpaper, and reinstalling.

if hooking up a stronger battery doesn't "fix" your supposed weak battery, then isn't it safe to conclude it isn't a battery problem?

New starters usually don't wear out in a short amount of time.

So what else can it be??? confused24.gif

probably a ground issue.
markb
Yup, probably bad grounds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.