Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: touched a few pieces of 914 history today!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
we had a little #4 "tech-session" today hosted by Carl ( pray.gif thanks for the coffee)

the amount of "different" and "prototype" is incredible.
some took pictures (not me, so you're going to be lucky) ...

even got my hands on one of the 4 copies of the original 914-8 owners manual (for Ferry Porsche's 914-006).
what a interesting piece of literature !

aktion035.gif Andy
ChrisReale
Its a trip isn't it? There are many subtile differences. Carl has a few other toys hidden there as well.... smilie_pokal.gif
Dave_Darling
Ah, I was wondering if it were kosher to talk about that trip here.

Is it OK to post the pics? (I probably won't be able to DL them until next week, and very possibly not then either!!)

--DD
siverson
Secret 914 meetings?!?! I thought #4 was in Socal? Let's see the pictures!!!

-Steve
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 14 2004, 03:50 PM)
Is it OK to post the pics?

dunno, ask Big B. ...
Brad Roberts
No pics. We can chat about it until we are blue in the face.

Also.. no numbers. We say 004 and that is all that needs to be known right now until we nail down some more info.

Thanks to all those who attended today. I loved history classes and this one topped them all.

B
Dave_Darling
No pics? OK, you's the boss-man! smile.gif

Very very kewl stuff, though! Just coming up with a list of what is unique to that car would take a reaaaaaally long time.

The parts that really get me are the ones that would have made for a better production car. The front turn signals look better IMHO, and that center deposit thing on top of the center tunnel would be totally sweet!

Some of the details are very odd--the way it was set up for sway bars, but none were installed. The stiffening ribs in the floor pans being different from the production ones. The bump in the rear trunk floor. (For what??? Some Sporto part?) The real differences in the door jambs...

Sigh!! I really wish I had Das Grosse Buch so I could look through it for pics of similar parts!!

--DD
Brad Roberts
I liked my idea at lunch about having Andy translate the book for us (or one of his Indian people).

The car is crazy.

B
Britain Smith
The 912 came with everything needed for sway bars and none installed. They even made a little cover peices for the holes.

-Britain
Brad Roberts
Which is exactly what I told them.. this car has the exact same front sway bar covers as your car (both cars are 1969 era)

B
Britain Smith
Ahh Cool!! My 912 and the 004 share some of the same peices.

-Britain
EdwardBlume
I'm thrilled for you B, that thing's in the right hands!
Carl
OK, no pics then. Darn. I got some good ones, too. We'll have to wait until there's a little more understanding of the history of the car. At least we got a few possibilities about the color and why the car was built the way it was.

For the benefit of others in the area who may be interested, we deliberately kept this study session quiet until Brad feels comfortable in sharing the info.

Thanks to those who participated. It was interesting and educational. Thanks for coming.

Carl
Gint
Sorry I missed it.

What about that comment regarding your other toys in that space Carl?
SirAndy
hey gang, speaking of color, could that be it?

#1211C (stock 911 color)
Carl
Andy,
hey gang, speaking of color, could that be it?

It's Grape, I think.

Hi Mike,
I think Chris was being generous. There's nothing exotic. Just a few hobby toys that belong to members of my family.

Carl
Dave_Darling
Including that Benz with quad flame-throwers.... w00t.gif

(Carl's brother has a Benz there that didn't want to start. But it did want to spit flames out the intakes. For quite a while...)

Aaahndy, the color in that pic looks pretty close!!

--DD
krk
Man what a great time -- thank's Carl for setting it up smilie_pokal.gif and it was great to meet Paul as well! (It would be very cool to drag him out to other 914 events -- he might get a kick out of our quirky club -- and I know anyone talking to him will likely pick up something new about our cars and Pcars in general)

Anyway, great history lesson, the 914/8 manual was very cool to see -- I can see why it didn't take off tho -- I couldn't understand any of it except the numbers. Ah well, I only look at those books for the pictures anyway. laugh.gif

The hand made portions of the car were the most interesting -- the factory guys were still playing with ideas, particularly in the rear trunk and dashboard areas. Watching Andy decode the car from "stem to stern" was fun too.

Oh, and the rear trunk lock didn't work, so we had to find a way into it. Carl's bother manufactured a 4 foot extension out of a bar, which we slipped in from the engine compartment after loosening the hinge bolts. (yeh, we meet Carl's brother and his dad stopped by as well, and Meridith stopped in too) Scott got the loosening job on the oil tank side which was much more tedious. I stood around and drank most of the coffee mueba.gif .

At one point we practiced the correct pronouniation of "Meuller". Heh. (Hi mike laugh.gif)

All in all, an intere$ting project will take place one day, and tracking the progress will be interesting for everyone.

It was a great morning Carl/Brad -- thx!

kim.
krk
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Feb 14 2004, 06:17 PM)
Ahh Cool!! My 912 and the 004 share some of the same peices.

-Britain

There were other early 911 parts -- the machinery for opening the front trunk is apparently an early 911 piece, so it may look similar as well.

kim.
JeffBowlsby
Thanks again Brad and Carl for inviting us to peer into the past, what a privilege. A very memorable time with a fantastic car...We are all a bunch of kooks... cool.gif

I came home and looked at The Big Buch for a few minutes last night. Four has characteristics that look more developed than the red Piech car, and yet not as refined as Ferrys platinum silver car. I think that the car will fall in between the two.

What a great privilege to meet Paul Lang as well. I hope we can meet him again in the near future and talk P-cars. Hey maybe we can invite him to breakfast sometime as a featured guest?
Joe Ricard
WTF are you guys talking about. Geez I miss one day here (sick as a dog) and it seems like there is a secret something that we can't see.
rick 918-S
Man I live in the wrong place!
Bleyseng
yeah, they got a secret handshake too! laugh.gif
davep
Yeah, and where is my invite????? Coming by dogsled?
fiid
I guess it's only the 914-Super-Best-Friends that get invited to these things.

sad.gif

I'm dying to learn ANYTHING about what the differences are. Pics would be cool too.
Meredith
Wow, I feel so lucky! I don't know anything technical about 914's (except how to change a starter) but I still got to see it. Ahh, the privileges of being Carl's daughter!

-Meredith
krk
QUOTE(shotgun @ Feb 15 2004, 03:44 PM)
Wow, I feel so lucky! I don't know anything technical about 914's (except how to change a starter) but I still got to see it. Ahh, the privileges of being Carl's daughter!

-Meredith

Yo, Shotgun! You can change a starter? Hm. We may have work for you. laugh.gif (Carl, it would be better if you get her going on brake bleeding and so forth -- even better, weber tuning -- or even better -- fixing oil leaks!!!) ( there are $$ to be made here!)

(Hi M smile.gif)

kim.
Carl
Geez! She finally posted something! What a lurker! It's been what, a month or two since she joined. Good news!

She learned about changing starters with two key motivators - 1. She had to push if the old one didn't work, and 2. I'd take her for ice cream if she'd help me.

Hmmm, Weber tuning - good idea. I can see it now ... The Shotgun Garage, 914 Weber tuning and starter replacement. The market may be a little limited.

Here's one of Kim's photos just for fun ...
Carl
oops ..
Meredith
Geez! She finally posted something! What a lurker! It's been what, a month or two since she joined. Good news!

Better late than never, right?

-Meredith
Carl
Fiid,
I'm sorry we couldn't accommodate everyone who is interested in seeing the car. When Brad's ready, my guess is he'll be happy to show it.

C
JeffBowlsby
Brad...what are the chances of getting Four to the WCC? Maybe trailer it to Partsheaven? That will get people to come to the meet... smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome Frau Meredith...ummm Shotgun... wink.gif

JB
Carl
what are the chances of getting Four to the WCC? Maybe trailer it to Partsheaven

Jeff, I know there's a lot of research to be done but a tech presentation based on #4 would be great.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Carl @ Feb 15 2004, 07:47 PM)
there's a lot of research to be done

hey B., can you start a closed forum where we can post pictures of #4 and share information ?

Andy
Brad Roberts
Yes Andy. Do to your information presented to me today in PM we can start a private forum just for this. I read the number sequence and realized we have something even more special than I could have EVER imagined. It may truelly be the FIRST 9146 EVER built. Too possibly be holding a vehicle that was built in between the two eights is truelly a score.

Thanks for chiming in Meredith and for showing up on Saturday. That small group we had on Saturday represented a *special* group of friends for me. Seeing 3 generations of Cilker was very cool also. Talking with your grandfather was certainly a highlight. It took your reminder of how "Dad" Cilker came about the ownership of the Blue 9146 above.... I hope you or your brother/sister keep the Porsche faith in the family for generations to come.

B
Scott S
I am confused - havent there already been pics of this car posted? I know I have seen some with the different lenses/interior/door jambs - I think they were put up on one of the other sites right when you were negotiating the purchase. That being the case, why the secrecy?
fiid
QUOTE(Carl @ Feb 15 2004, 05:38 PM)
Fiid,
I'm sorry we couldn't accommodate everyone who is interested in seeing the car. When Brad's ready, my guess is he'll be happy to show it.

C

Nah - no worries - just giving you guys grief. lol2.gif I would love to see it sometime though and have someone knowledgable point out the differences.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Feb 16 2004, 08:40 AM)
That being the case, why the secrecy?

because we found something VERY special ... wink.gif
vortrex
they're afraid someone's going to see the super secret pics and then someone forge a 914 into being the real FIRST 914 made. this is what I imagine BBS's would have been like if the internet was around when I was in grade school.
Brad Roberts
Soap opera. That is the only reason for the secrecy. Why not build suspense ??

Honestly.. I dont want pics or numbers posted until the title work is done.

B
rhodyguy
brad, minor hijack. are you following the cam thread? the "title" work? somebody must have raided the 401k.

kevin
seanery
no, i'm sure they just want to make damn sure that someone here is the legal owner before anything else is released.
Meredith
I hope you or your brother/sister keep the Porsche faith in the family for generations to come

Brad, you'll notice that there are no other Cilker children present at 914 functions. I think it's up to me to keep the 914 spirit around. And since I learned how to drive it, I think I can easily handle the responsibility!
sixerdon
No question that #4 is special from the earlier pictures posted. This is a milestone car. THE prototype before the other prototypes were built and shown to the world back in '69. There is a photo of the front lens and knurled electric motor in an early owners repair manual I have. The trunk looked to be covered in undercoating. No doubt this was the factory test mule and deserves respect right along with 356 Nr. 1 and the only surving 901 & 902 Porsches that I have seen.
Brad, do this gem justice for us all.
Don
Brad Roberts
Don,

I will do my best to restore it. It will sit until I have time and money to start working on it. It is honestly one of those projects that I wish I could spend a full year focusing on, but I ran my ass out of money trying to buy a company over the past two years.. I should have built this car instead. At least I would have had something to show for it besides debt.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.