Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA Rules on Roll Cages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wallys914
I looked on the scca rules book but all i saw is the rules about how a cage can be in a car, not the specifics of the cage, wall size, tube size, any one know of the top of your head where to look?
Triaddave
QUOTE(wallys914 @ Dec 7 2008, 01:54 PM) *

I looked on the scca rules book but all i saw is the rules about how a cage can be in a car, not the specifics of the cage, wall size, tube size, any one know of the top of your head where to look?

I think the way it is set up is to weight. the 914 i was building was projected at 1800 lbs. that weight class went up to 2500 lbs. I think it was min 1 5/8 pipe at 5/16 wall. don't quote me on this or current rules. I feel that the real purpose of the roll bar is to set the frame rigid and stiff. the safety is just the sport of it. don't get me wrong,I tend to over build.
bam914
What class are you building the car for? 1 1/2" x.095" will be good for just about everyclass.
CliffBraun
Check out appendix C of the solo rules, everything you need to know is there.
jhadler
If you're building a car for wheel 2 wheel competition, the Solo rules will not be sufficient. Read through the GCR, there is a complete section of structure requirements.

-Josh2
Joe Ricard
Yep GCR rules is very specific
I remember something about 1 1/2" OD x .135 wall DOM for W2W racing with full cages.

Autocross is less like just a hoop and bracing 914's can use 1 3/4" OD and .095 wall DOM.
GTPatrick
Joe , . . .

1.35" wall thickness ??? That's greater than the OD of 1 1/2" . That has got to be a typo error .

wallys914 , just go online and check the SCCA GCR to see what is called for . That way it's a fact and not an opinion .

GTP beer.gif
Joe Ricard
OOPs one little decimal place and all hell breaks loose.
Solo914
Typical SCCA road racing for our cars weight 1500-2200lbs is 1.5" OD with .095 wall and if you are over 2200lbs is 1.5" with .120 wall. My Spec Miata, 2100lbs w/o driver is 1.5" X .095. If you want to go with a good cage I might recommend going with .120 on the main hoop and .095 everywhere else. Nice compromise between strength, safety and weight.

Kyle

edited the weights
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.