Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstien Struts for Creamsicle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914Sixer
Where the Bilstien struts stock on the LE? There seems to questions in my mind. On Jeff's info on the Rennlist it says they came with them? One car is known to have had Koni's. Should they be listed on the COA.
tod914
nm
914werke
I cant be positive but my Creamcicle came w/ Boge strut housings and Bil. inserts and Bilstien Green dust covers OE.
davep
My LE has the green Bilstein struts on the front, but yellow on the rear. The second set of green struts I got also came with yellow rear shocks. George Hussey says the green struts were matched with green rear shocks when delivered by the factory. I suspect that my car had the front struts replaced. I do not think that the LE would have the Bilstein's as standard equipment.
JeffBowlsby
Mark, I am not 100% positive on the Bilstein shocks being stock on all LE cars, at least not all LE cars.

One important distinction is whether or not we are talking about Bistein front housings or just Bil inserts. The rears of course either are Bils or not. If we are talking about front Bil housings, that is one thing, if it is only Bil inserts in Boge housings, that is different.

Some sources of info I have on the issue state that Bilsteins were part of the LE package, not all sources mention it. You note that the COAs do not indicate it, I think that may be a clue...Bilsteins would be an important item to a buyer and it would have made sense for the factory to promote it and list them on the COA or even the window stickers...they did not. I think of the similar issue of several sources presenting the 'grasshopper' color scheme, which has proven to be not true, as confirmed by Porsche themselves. I think it is possible that the Bilsteins on all LEs may be a similar condition...marketing hype or early media speculation....some LEs may have had them, others almost certainly did not, I don't think it was universal. Maybe it is as simple as standard (Boge) front housings, with Bilstein inserts on the front...which would explain alot. If the Bilstein housings came on all LEs across the board...most if not all LE cars today would still have them and that is not what I have observed. I doubt that most owners would go to the trouble to switch out the front housings, especially not a switch from the Bils to Boge, would make no sense. I should update the LE website on this issue.

Of the several LE cars I believe to be original cars with original equipment, most have Boge front strut housings. A few LE cars that I know of, including my Bumblebee have black front struts with a green top cover...I do not recall seeing a makers mark on them...and I have not opened them up to verify the insert. The rears on my BB are definitely green Bilsteins. I have yet to see a set of all green Bilstein front strut housings on an LE and I usually look...Although I believe you Dave...
tod914
Did the cars with the green housings have sway bars front and rear? And, were the boge equipted cars non sway bars on the LE's you've seen?
JeffBowlsby
All LEs I have seen have sway bars F&R, without variance. DavePs car is the only one I have heard of with the full Green Bil strut housings.
Johny Blackstain
All LE's have factory swaybars as standard equipment. I also heard LE's came w/ Bilsteins as standard equipment, unless otherwise special ordered. Nothing on my COA regarding suspension. My LE is sporting Konis now, since Pop bought the Konis years ago as replacements for the car, when they went on sale @ "electrodyne". I know Pop did'nt special order the shocks when he bought the car, so what was there originally is unknown to me; but it had to be either Bilsteins or Boges because I don't remember anything being bright/flashy under the car.
914Sixer
Good info. The Bilstien inserts I have for Boge struts are yellow and have yellow tops. The rears are also yellow. No green any where. I am still going to find a set of front Bils and use them if possible.
davep
Al, please get a good photo of that ink-stamp on the trailing arm. Can you measure it up also please. Anyone else have a good ink-stamp?
914werke
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 9 2008, 05:18 PM) *

Al, please get a good photo of that ink-stamp on the trailing arm. Can you measure it up also please. Anyone else have a good ink-stamp?

Yes. What is the significance?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 9 2008, 08:18 PM) *

Dave- here's a better photo of the stamp. I'm "guessing" 2x2 cm.
davep
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 9 2008, 07:18 PM) *

Yes. What is the significance?

I don't know for sure, however a lot of pieces were marked with stamps, like the engine tin for instance. It would be interesting to know what marks were used and where they are found.
tod914
I have those on mine as well. I'll post some shots. The front calipers have a white mark on them too. Car has
the original boge's on it which are grey.
jonferns
I have a good ink stamp on my '74 2.0, I'll look for a pic.
davep
See if all of you can take some detailed pictures, and measurements. It would be most useful to be able to duplicate the stamps.
tod914
QUOTE(davep @ Dec 12 2008, 09:04 PM) *

See if all of you can take some detailed pictures, and measurements. It would be most useful to be able to duplicate the stamps.

Dave when I have time, hopefull end of next week, I'll pull a photo of it into
photoshop create a mask, & clean it up so it can be used as a templet. Also with measurements and a placement index.
IronHillRestorations
Green Bilstein front struts
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.