Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Just got laid..... OFF
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rand
I made it through the first few phases of layoffs and was assured my job was safe. But... Today was a major layoff and I was included.

Bad timing for my 914 project. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Was just putting my 2.0 engine on the market to start the v8 conversion, but now I'm probably going to need to unload everything. Sigh.

So now I'm scrambling to build my part time business into full time, or find another job. If anyone knows of a need for a web site developer or IT manager with a lot of experience and a hardcore work ethic, I would appreciate any leads.

beerchug.gif
championgt1
That sucks man. Hang in there!
rick 918-S
Sux! Good thing your not in the house flipping or manufacturing biz. Computer skills are always in demand.
PeeGreen 914
Sorry to hear that buddy. Keep your head up. There has been a ton of jobs in the tech field available so maybe you will find something quickly. One of my clients just went from his job and Microsoft to Nintendo and loves it. I have been considering applying there as well but want to stay full time in real estate if I am able to. Good luck Rand and let me know if there is anything I can do for you. beerchug.gif
Gint
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 9 2008, 08:19 PM) *
Computer skills are always in demand.

At least overseas...

I feel your pain. I feel like I'm sitting on a guillotine.

Good luck man.
Jake Raby
I need a web developer... I could keep you busy part time for a while...
messix
blink.gif grouphug.gif
LarryR
If you have xquery, xpath and Java skills and can relocate to San Carlos, Ca. I can get you an interview with the company I work for.
veltror
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 10 2008, 04:05 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 9 2008, 08:19 PM) *
Computer skills are always in demand.

At least overseas...

I feel your pain. I feel like I'm sitting on a guillotine.

Good luck man.

Hmm, not in th UK at the moment things are tough...

Roman sad.gif
jim912928
I'm looking for java, webshpere, websphere commerce skills...but, one would have to like the cold milwaukee winters and vtwin motorcycles!
jimkelly
rand

read the fine print of that contract with the rab-ster closely - look for the text that can only be seen under a - black light - forefiting your right to put an engine requiring a radiator into your 914 : )

jim

--

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 9 2008, 09:07 PM) *

byndbad914
Gint/Rand - my friend here in Colorado just got laid off two weeks ago after taking his new job earlier this year. the computer tech is softening for sure - hate to hear it. His wife had JUST quit her job 2 months ago after having their 2nd kid, he was doing well, then whammo, laid off. It is gonna be a rough Xmas for them.

Good luck to you Rand and here's hoping Mike can hang on!

In aerospace here we had significant layoffs at my place around May and there are only 2 of us left in my group so I am able to hang on, but gotta admit, depending on how the gov't continues to waste our money supporting stupidity this job could easily be on the chopping block at any given time. I more or less show up and see if we still have funding for our programs dry.gif
rjames
Sorry to hear the news Rand. I'll keep my eye out for any openings here at Fred Hutch. Mabye this will end up being a blessing in disguise for getting your own business happening. Positive vibes are being sent your way.

idea.gif Maybe your engine problems are solved....
Root_Werks
sad.gif
Ian Stott
I tried working part time so I could have some coin to spend on my car, it always ended up being way more time than I wanted. The people you know are always a good source of leads and doing a couple of part time gigs can really lead to something you may be interested in. I am sure you are very good at what you do, let as many people as possible find that out. Good luck to you.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
pete-stevers
It is starting to get tight up here too..
it is going to be a rough christmas for many this year.
i hope the best for you and your family

JRust
Bummer Rand sad.gif Best of luck with the search.

So much of it going around. Not completely thrilled at work. I am sure happy I still have work though. My wife's job is touch & go. Most likely on the go soon. Hoping to make it thru x-mas.

Wish I had the skills Jake is looking for. I'd be working for engine upgrades. Probably not the best job for me as I would spend more than I made. idea.gif
wallys914
My wife just got laid off too for the 2nd time in 3 month's. Times are Tuff.......

Good Luck man....
carr914
Feel your pain. Got downsized ( KMA.gif ) a couple of months ago.

Stay Positive.

T.C.
Rand
Thanks for the support guys.
beerchug.gif
computers4kids
Rand, I am so sorry to hear about your job. Every where you look right now you here about companies downsizing jobs, but it really brings it home when it's people you know.

I think Jim Kelly had a point about reading the fine print from a possible Jake job offer...watch out for those "no radiator" clauses burried. mad.gif I wish you the best.
cooltimes
Sorry to see you were laid off.

http://www.idsoftware.com/
is hiring.

May not be what you were looking for but maybe someone else laid off that you know would be interested.

Cooltimes
MBowman325
When I was at Dell (Server Support, HCLV - Alt OS, so Linux, ESX, Xen, Platform Rocks and derivatives of the above) I worked with a number of guys on the other side of the phone that went into contract work after getting RIF'ed. Most of them were a lot happier. Generally the story was the same. Everyone with projects on time, on budget and running clean and tight were released while those with projects in trouble or with constant issues (generally due to poor workskils by the IT group in charge) got to stay.

confused24.gif I did contract work for a couple of years, but not something that I really enjoyed. I still get a number of offers since I've been off the market, but it's been more admin stuff and not web development. I've been lucky as all my positions were pretty stable in the past. Even at Dell, the Enterprise side is still doing OK. Work for the state now.

Good luck, hope you find something to keep you afloat and feed the habit. smile.gif

(I even herad about a couple of nurses in some parts of the country having trouble finding work.. sad.gif )
biggy72
We had a senior engineer who had always wanted to work for Piper Aircraft. Well they offered him a job to move to Florida from up here in Washington to work on their new business jet. He was there less than a month and they temporarily laid him off.... I guess he's not going back to work until mid January. Hopefully it works out better for him in the future because it was sure a big jump for him to take.
SGB
As 914 owners, most of us have decent mechanical skills and technical savy. I wouldn't mess around. If I get downsized, I'm going to be willing to work cheap at my favorite v-dub place. I'm sure they may face some economic troubles too, but people will be forced to keep the old stuff going. Hell, might work for less $ than is right for awhile. Get a mechanics job. Learn home HVAC repair. We are only moments away from society only being able to cough up money for the most basic services- plumber, electrician, etc. Everything else has gone to china anyway.

I'm sorry. Thats kinda gloomy. I suggest you keep building your business (IT related I guess?). Make sure it is as close to indispensable as possible. Keep away from savings. Do the cheapest projects with the best potential payoff (paint your house, sell your kidney, etc). Eat crackers and drink Bud.

NO.

Thats TOO MUCH.

Screw the crackers. Drink Jack and get up early to try again.
MBowman325
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 11 2008, 07:23 PM) *

Keep away from savings. Do the cheapest projects with the best potential payoff (paint your house, sell your kidney, etc). Eat crackers and drink Bud.

That reminds me... A friend of mine, before he got married, had some issues translating from being a bouncer back to to 9-5 / tech jobs (he couldn't get up in the mornings...) He went a stint where he was essentially living off the money he made from throwing parties at his house and donating plasma. Not really a path I'd recommend, but he did keep a new 67" projection TV and paid for rent for about 6 months without many other major cash infusions. Then again, the rent house he was in wasn't the best around and he didn't have many other things he was responsible for....
Mark Henry
Times are going to be tough here as well, GM is the major cash cow in this area.
We're fine (knock-knock) but peeps I know are shitting bricks.
TeenerTim
It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. My company is phasing out the platform that I program on. I'll be out of a job in the spring, fall at the latest. Nothing I know how to do will pay half as much as I make now. The real problem is the child and spousal support won't go away when my job does. Have you checked out the freelance contract bidding sites for web and graphic developers? Do a google search for "freelance web design jobs".
greenie
Hi Rand,

A guy with your skills won't be down for long.

I'll ask around for you.

As difficult as this may sound,try to enjoy the time off, you will be back to work and wishing you would have done more with the little bit of freedom you had.
Rand
I just wanted to drop a note to say thanks to all you guys who sent me leads and showed support.

I accepted a position in Reno, "Director of E-Commerce" at the Peppermill. So I guess I'll be spending a lot of time on the slopes around Tahoe! smile.gif

Any of you PNW guys need a motor core, some 4-lug Fuchs, transmission, fiberglass bumpers, etc? I'm thinking I'd rather not tow my car to Reno, so it's in the classifieds.
dinomium
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 16 2009, 12:42 PM) *

I just wanted to drop a note to say thanks to all you guys who sent me leads and showed support.

I accepted a position in Reno, "Director of E-Commerce" at the Peppermill. So I guess I'll be spending a lot of time on the slopes around Tahoe! smile.gif

Any of you PNW guys need a motor core, some 4-lug Fuchs, transmission, fiberglass bumpers, etc? I'm thinking I'd rather not tow my car to Reno, so it's in the classifieds.

Hate to see you leave the PNW, man. Good luck in Reno...
dlo914
For those out of a job, have you guys looked into the 2010 Census Bureau jobs? The require you to take a 28 question vocab and mathematics test, 10 is passing, but if you want to get a call back 20+ is ideal. They let you take the test as many times as possible. I managed to get 20 (1st time), 23 (2nd time), and 22 (3rd time). They take your highest score. A friend of mine managed to get 26 correct and just got a call back last week.

I was doubting that i would get a call back, until i got a call this morning saying they wanted me to go into training (paid 40hrs). I start April 6th-10th. I'm gonna have to sacrifice my 2nd week of full-time school (@ CSULA) to part-take in the mandatory training. Hope i don't miss too much.

But yeah you guys should look into it if you're out of a job. I got laid off back in November 08'. Luckily, i still had my seasonal part-time job that i'm able to make it by with 10hrs/week (if i'm lucky) to pay for the bills and such.
effutuo101
Good Luck Rand! Reno is inexpensive to live. A short trip to Tahoe and Sacramento. I sent you a pm. But you should really take your car with. You are really close to having a daily driver and Reno gets a lot more sun than here.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Mar 16 2009, 02:34 PM) *

Good Luck Rand! Reno is inexpensive to live. A short trip to Tahoe and Sacramento. I sent you a pm. But you should really take your car with. You are really close to having a daily driver and Reno gets a lot more sun than here.

agree.gif
dw914er
its tough times....

good luck Rand
914rrr
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 9 2008, 11:13 PM) *

I made it through the first few phases of layoffs and was assured my job was safe. But... Today was a major layoff and I was included.

Bad timing for my 914 project. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. Was just putting my 2.0 engine on the market to start the v8 conversion, but now I'm probably going to need to unload everything. Sigh.

So now I'm scrambling to build my part time business into full time, or find another job. If anyone knows of a need for a web site developer or IT manager with a lot of experience and a hardcore work ethic, I would appreciate any leads.

beerchug.gif

Congrats!!
jmill
My neighbor just got downsized also. I feel your pain. I lost my job in the airline industry after 9/11. I loved that job too. Glad to hear you found something.

On another note I could use some fiberglass bumpers.
r_towle
I am looking for a SW Dev. Manager that KNOWS Java, hands on and has a gaming development background in Java.

PM me.
Rich
ConeDodger
Rand,
Leave the car there with one of the PacNW peeps and go back and get it with my trailer once you are settled. Trailer use is on the house for PacNW dudes... Except Greenie, and Jon... and... lol-2.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Sorry to hear it. I was told last Thursday by my employer that there's going to be a nation wide lay off (130 - 150 people) this coming friday! Everyone from hourly up to corporate is on the chopping block.

drunk.gif
RJMII
Congrats at the job at the Peppermill!

So what's Jake going to do for his sites? it looks like he still needs help. poke.gif Lots of good information, err LOTS of good ifornmaiton.
914werke
Rand good on ya with the new Gig!
I just got offered a position in RI but Im not sure its the right deal.
We'll be sorry to to see you go.
Take it (the teener) with you.. Ill offer my flat tow rig to borrow then you and just mail it back smile.gif
Joe Bob
Wondered where you were going to end up.....ya never stopped by the house. Oh well, when ya pass thru again, look me up.
greenie
Congrats on the new job !

I think Reno would be a great place to live, close enough to the big cities but not big.

Is the Mustang Ranch still in business?
effutuo101
You have the Genral at home and you are asking about the Ranch? I am sooo telling her! popcorn[1].gif

Good Luck Rand! I think if you can find a place to stash your ride for a couple of weeks while you get settled, you will be better off in the long run. You already have a known car.
Sparky
Well I'm a victim of this economic crisis now also. Over 10 years with this bank (StateStreet) and and 2 weeks ago they let me and about 600 others go. I've spent the last 2 weeks relaxing and went snowmobiling with some cousins. Now it's hunker down and learn a new trade time. Making the money I was making as an assistant vice president in the tech field of a bank means I'm not going to find anything close to what I was making anytime soon.

I live west of Boston and can't afford to take the pay cut associated with working near home (atleast a 30K cut) and don't ever want to be in the position of working for someone again. Decided to take a fellow teener up on an offer and learn a new profession and go into business for myself.

The wife and I are looking at the finances and developing a plan. We like our house but it's not the forever house so it's going on the market. Toys will have to wait a bit but hell the project I had going right now was a search for a new teener.

Good luck to all!
Mike D.
MBowman325
QUOTE(dlo914 @ Mar 16 2009, 12:17 PM) *

For those out of a job, have you guys looked into the 2010 Census Bureau jobs?

I was a census enumerator in late spring of 2000. It's a federal crime to rough up an enumerator, but regardless I was attacked by a couple of dogs, threatened bodily harm (physically and with a rifle once). The money was good if I remember right, but it was hot work. Though there were some grateful people (and gorgeous women) that were generally offering a cold drink and some time outta the sun. (Worked Phase II, left before Phase III when the "trouble" cases were revisited.)

Rand, glad you wound up finding something. Anymore it's a common story. I've had a number of friends in the tech sector, from banks to City governments get the axe. Have a lead for one of those guys to send along today..

Going into business is exciting and a bit scary, depending on how you approach it. My first experience with that worked well, went through most of college doing it and I enjoyed it. Moved to a slightly different area of tech (contract warranty work ->sales / support ) with my Dad, and turned into a flop as he wound up going against everything. Tried again later - not my primary deal and it's really slow, but could gear it up if I ever had to.

Sparky, AIG is giving big bonuses... poke.gif

Good luck with your venture there. Hope it pans out well for you.
Sparky
QUOTE(MBowman325 @ Mar 17 2009, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(dlo914 @ Mar 16 2009, 12:17 PM) *

For those out of a job, have you guys looked into the 2010 Census Bureau jobs?

Sparky, AIG is giving big bonuses... poke.gif

Good luck with your venture there. Hope it pans out well for you.

Not if Obama has anything to do with it... The timing on this really sucked as the second pay check in March is when I would have received my bonus, 15% salary bonus based on performance. Not only did they knock 6 million plus off the books for salary they also saved at least another Million in bonus money. That was just this round, the fourth since November.
mstein95
Best of Luck to you and your family Rand!!

Hope our paths cross again someday - hopefully at a future 914 rally.
Rand
Thanks gang.

Rob: Thanks for the trailer offer.

RJMII: Thanks. It's a killer job too! J's sites really need usability help for sure. biggrin.gif Apparently it's not a priority though. confused24.gif

Rich: Thanks! Would I need to fabricate / weld towbar mounts? Bolt on?

Mike: I can't believe I never made it by! I was planning on it for sure, but then ended up leaving suddenly because I got called to an interview. I'll definitely be back some time though - I love Santa Barbara!

Curt: I'll drop your name at the Ranch and ask for the Greenie special. biggrin.gif

Morgan: Thanks... I'm sure our paths will cross again. Maybe as soon as May - I'm hoping to make WCR.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.