Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front trunk capacity for a single piece of luggage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brisco914prc
I'm looking to buy a good 914 daily driver, '73 or '74 2.0 FI car that is a stock as possible, and have a question about the capacity of the front trunk. Could someone tell me the maximum size that a single piece of luggage could be that would fit in the front trunk and also that could fit into the passenger footwell? I will be using this car for business purposes and need to be able to transport some equipment.

I currently own a '74 914 that is a vintage race car. It has a Fuel Safe cell in the front trunk and no spare so it's difficult for me to measure its trunk and determine what size luggage could fit in a stock 914. And it has a stripped interior and no passenger seat so I'm not sure of the available space on that side.

Thanks,

r_towle
With the two trunks you can haul alot...two suit cases up front and two suit bags in the back with no problems.

Rich
Dave_Darling
I used to put the spare tire in the rear trunk and stash a big cooler full'a beer in the front trunk. smile.gif

--DD
KaptKaos
Good timing.

I was looking online and couldn't find if they had ever made any fitted luggage for the 914's front trunk. I was planning to measure myself. I might be able to do that tomorrow. I'll let you know.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 10 2008, 10:40 PM) *

Good timing.

I was looking online and couldn't find if they had ever made any fitted luggage for the 914's front trunk. I was planning to measure myself. I might be able to do that tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Ah but there was factory luggage made...see the second item on this webpage for sizes and details...

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...Accessories.htm

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 10 2008, 10:23 PM) *

I used to put the spare tire in the rear trunk and stash a big cooler full'a beer in the front trunk. smile.gif

--DD

Screw the cooler. Like 6-8 cases of beer and enough ice to keep it cold for a Loooooooooong time. The Cap'n
lotus_65
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Dec 11 2008, 12:40 AM) *

Good timing.

i've wanted to do this too, even make a canvas pouch contoured to the odd shape.

I've packed a lot of stuff for vacations, i mean a ton! but i did over pack the front and now my hood is bowed a little out of shape. sad.gif
Brisco914prc
Great responses about hauling beer and optional factory luggage, but my question is regarding the maximum size that a single piece of luggage could be that would fit in the front trunk and also that could fit into the passenger footwell.

Could someone who owns a 914 possibly make some measurements and post the dimensions in inches of those two spaces? Doesn't have to be precise, I'm just trying to figure out how big a single case could be to fit into those two areas.

Thanks,

Barry
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Dec 11 2008, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 10 2008, 10:23 PM) *

--DD

Screw the cooler. Like 6-8 cases of beer and enough ice to keep it cold for a Loooooooooong time. The Cap'n

to be precise as the poster asked.

6 bags of ice, standard gas station bagged ice...must remove bag, dump in front trunk.
Mix in 11 cases of beer. That is about the max.

RIch
burton73
26” x 30” x 9” rear trunk 20” x 24” x 16” front trunk with no spare. Taken with lids off.

Bob
flag.gif
PanelBilly
The trick is to not tell the passenger that your taking more than a long day trip. Then you have to buy whatever is "really" needed in the way of cloths.

This advice is comming from a father that has four daughters. On one vacation we took the oversized suitcase that they took was for shoes. Each of them also had an oversized bag for thier cloths. AND TWO OF THEM HAD THE SAME SIZE FOOT.
That was in the day when they didn't always charge extra for bags.
So.Cal.914
I took my Wife, my dog and enough $hit for two weeks up to the bay area in my teener. With the top on it holds enough.
Brisco914prc
Thank you Bob! That is exactly what I needed to know. I appreciate you taking the time to make those measurements.

Best regards,

Barry Brisco

QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 12 2008, 02:57 PM) *

26” x 30” x 9” rear trunk 20” x 24” x 16” front trunk with no spare. Taken with lids off.

Bob
flag.gif

flippa
I moved from Boston to Redondo Beach in 1990, and drove my 914 cross country with one of my buddies. Great trip, we had a blast!

We stuffed a ton of stuff in the trunks, but the best thing was the factory optional rear luggage rack for carrying a couple of duffle bags. I don't know how large or heavy an item you are looking to haul, but the rack is a nice option. I believe that it had a 75# rating tag on it. I drove over 3600 miles with at least 100# of gear in those bags with no damage to the trunk lid.

I remember thinking when I arrived in LA that tha pile of stuff that I emptied out of the car was much smaller than the contents of the two duffle bags.

I will have to try the front trunk cooler trick, the car already has a few drain holes in it.
70Sixter
Flippa mentioned duffle bags. I use laundry bags to pack soft stuf. You can stuff it in between harder luggage to maximize load and to keep other stuff from sliding around.

I'd be more interested in cheap fitted luggage for my Box and have often wondered why nobody made it.
Sparky
One small italian in the front possibly two in the back... drunk.gif
orthobiz
16 cubic feet for both trunks.

I was gonna say something stupid but everyone else beat me to it.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.