Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum Engine Lid Letters Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
morph
What other Porsches had the same letters as the aluminum engine lid letters on the 914?
meursault
Any 911 or 912, 1967-1973. Silver lettering for 912 and 911T (I think) and gold for 911E, L, and S.

Or something like that. I think 1973 cars might also have had black anodized lettering.
thomasotten
Since my car didn't have the letters when I got it, I ordered a set of the silver kind. What I received were made out of gray plastic. They were chrome only on the face of the letters, on the sides they were gray. I don't mean that they are gray on the bottom, I mean they are gray on the "thickness" of the letters, if that makes sense. Is there any 914 that ever came with letters like that, or was I ripped off for $55 from AutoAtlanta?

To me it seemed very odd that a plastic part would have chrome on only one face, because, having built many plastic model kits that have chrome parts, normally it is easier in manufacturing to chrome the entire piece, rather than just a particular face.

Was I screwed?
tod914
The sides should be chrome/plated as well. I would return them and get a set from porsche. I think they are like $70 for OEM. Maybe tell AA that they sent you the wrong set and you want OEM; shipping on them.
thomasotten
It was a long time ago when I received them, so I can't return them. It was just something I always wondered about. I think at the time I resoned that that must be the way they came from the factory, because it seemed like it was harder to make them this way, only partially chromed.. I think some came from the factory in plastic, but I could be wrong. Sounds like I got screwed.
tod914
I know in 75 they were plastic. I replaced mine last year with a new set. Maybe you can try a can of chrome rattle can on them??? Just an idea.
SirAndy
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Sep 11 2004, 07:40 PM)
Was I screwed?

no.

late model cars had the plastic letters that had some sort of chrome finish on the top.

only early cars had the metal letters.

cool.gif Andy
tod914
The sides should be chrome though too, not just the top.
anthony
My '74 has the plastic chromed letters. The top and sides of the letters are chromed. I don't know about the bottoms since I've never taken them off.
morph
i dont know the price but gary over at parts obsolite has complete sets used that are metal. wink.gif but yes from what i discoverd 75-76 are plastic huh.gif
Bleyseng
I picked up a set off ebay- oem metal $85 from a guy in Germany.
Qarl
Is there any 914 that ever came with letters like that, or was I ripped off for $55 from AutoAtlanta?

Do you even have to ask?
3liter914-6
http://www.mmmetalizing.com/services.html can rechrome your plastic letters if you're upset about the way they look. Not sure since I've just heard good things bout them, never used them, but I'd guess it'd be cheaper than buying new ones.
tod914
Hey Karl, can you composite George and his brother's heads on that "AA" animation ? Can probally grab them from the AA site.
Aaron Cox
georgy boy IPB Image

mr treadway himself! IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.