Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front suspension swap...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tahoward
I have a 72 and a 74 and I want to swap the front suspension on them. One is stock while the other has new bushings, turbo tie rods, shocks,rotors, etc. Naturally the rusty one has all the good stuff! First, can this be done and if so can I do it without taking it apart piece by piece? What kind of order should I do this project in? Any pitfalls to lookout for? Thanks all!
Mueller
Pretty easy...it'll come out in one big assembly....

Rough instructions:

Remove nut on top of shocks,

Remove bolt from the universal joint in drivers compartment for the steering linkage.

Remove gas tank to remove the U-clamp on steering shaft.

Loosen brake lines to calipers,

Remove the 4 bolts that hold the front of the a-arms to car,

Remove the 4 larger bolts that hold the steering rack to the car...

Gravity should do the rest smile.gif

Good time to inspect/replace the mastercylinder

I'm sure I forgot something, but you get the general idea.

Mike Mueller
tahoward
Thanks alot. I barely made it to the fridge and back before I had my answer! You guys are great. Thanks again.
Brad Roberts
Close Mikey. You dont have to unbolt the steering rack. 4bolts at the front of the control arms and 2 for the crossbar... The 2 for the steering rack to crossbar can stay put.

Dont forget to pull the water shield off: 2 13mm bolts and 2 17mm bolts at the back of it.

B
Mueller
I didn't mean to "remove" the steering rack from the crossbar, I meant just loosen the bolts for the steering shaft.

A jack under the crossbar is a good idea....oh, and make sure you have your floor jacks behind the front suspension, it's tough to remove the entire assembly with the jack stands in the way if positioned up front of the car ohmy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.