Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailing Arm Slop-O-Rama
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
I took my newer '74 teener to Mark's shop in Napa this week to look into some tail wiggle I've noticed recently. Check out this video.

Guess I might want to replace those 300k mile, 35 year old bushings. smash.gif smile.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 19 2008, 10:07 PM) *

I took my newer '74 teener to Mark's shop in Napa this week to look into some tail wiggle I've noticed recently. Check out this video.

Guess I might want to replace those 300k mile, 35 year old bushings. smash.gif smile.gif

YIKES!!! so did you leave it there and rent a car to drive home?
RoadGlue
Nah, it works better that way! Quicker steer in. smile.gif

It's been that way for a few weeks, so I limped it home.
yeahmag
WTF.gif

Wow...
Jeffs9146
Ovaled ear!!

Demick
Yep. Mine was exactly like that too. I couldn't believe how much slop there was and I had hardly noticed it when driving. The inside bushing was pretty much totally disintegrated. A set of poly-bronze bushings will make it better than new!
RoadGlue
Yeah, I thought it might be an ovaled ear until we jacked it up, wiggled the wheel and found that the inner bolt head wasn't moving around. smile.gif
Jeffs9146
found that the inner bolt head wasn't moving around

beerchug.gif

Lucky!!
McMark
Woot! biggrin.gif
PanelBilly
While your at it are you going to clean everything up and paint it a bit? Is the metal fatigued (I know I can't spell) from the abnormal woble?
Krieger
Daaang Randy! Forget poly bronze. Just squirt some RTV in there and let it dry overnight. Then your good for probably at least another 20k. I have a set of poly graphite bushings that I never used that I'd trade for a six pack of good beer.
r_towle
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 20 2008, 08:16 PM) *

Daaang Randy! Forget poly bronze. Just squirt some RTV in there and let it dry overnight. Then your good for probably at least another 20k. I have a set of poly graphite bushings that I never used that I'd trade for a six pack of good beer.

You should give him a six pack to take those off your hands...

Rich
IronHillRestorations
ooooooh rare rear wheel steering assist!
ConeDodger
Anyone else see a pattern here? People take their cars to Mark's shop and suddenly something is wrong with them... WTF.gif I don't trust that DeBernardi dude! biggrin.gif
MartyYeoman
Holy Cow!!! w00t.gif
You gotta fix that!!
brant
I'd carefully check the inside ear for cracks...
lots of brake cleaner or carb cleaner and a rag to get all of the oil off

I've ripped out 2 consoles now.. and highly recommend you check for cracks when you pull the arms to rebush

brant
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Marty Yeoman @ Dec 25 2008, 10:55 AM) *

Holy Cow!!! w00t.gif
You gotta fix that!!

Ooooh, I think about it. haha
RoadGlue
QUOTE(brant @ Dec 25 2008, 04:20 PM) *

I'd carefully check the inside ear for cracks...
lots of brake cleaner or carb cleaner and a rag to get all of the oil off

I've ripped out 2 consoles now.. and highly recommend you check for cracks when you pull the arms to rebush

brant

Will do Brant and thanks for the heads up!
EdwardBlume
Mine did that too.... its just one of those 35 year old parts that bust in a hurry. beer3.gif
RoadGlue
So I took the car (finally!) to Mark's shop in Sonoma this past Saturday and replaced the worn out and missing trailing arm bushings. Both the L & R arms were missing their outer bushings. Wow, to think they were worn out at 340,000 miles. Junk! hehe.

Mark rocked the shop and gets full credit for replacing the wheel bearings. Well, I did help pull the first one, but that's another story. We had our dumb and dumber moments, but the day was a total success! Thanks Mark!

Missing something? This is how both arms were. Check your bushings people!
IPB Image

New poly-bronze bushings going in. Easy!
IPB Image

Tapping for the Zerk fittings:
IPB Image

IPB Image
RoadGlue
Mark working with the new bearings:
IPB Image

One of the Zerk fittings:
IPB Image

Going back together:
IPB Image

Dug and Mark work with the "close enough" alignment:
IPB Image

RoadGlue
More alignment fun:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Just one last shot for now:
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.