Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV Joint grease
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
...I've been looking at different stuff, like
Moly 60, Optimoly, Lubriplate, Kendall...
What's new? What's good? What are you using?
johnnie5
Good question. I am going to rebuild/regrease/reboot all four of my CV's this weekend. I was going to use high heat red moly grease? Any brandname recomendations?
familienauto
Last time I did a CV was on my Ghia. I just used the CV moly grease on the shelf at NAPA. Black and smells terrible. No problems after a few thousand miles.
sww914
Swepco
Rusty
Considering that my axles will likely be apart in the next 5-7 years anyway... I used the cheapest moly grease available at my FLAPS. smile.gif
ArtechnikA
Swepco 101 or LubroMoly CV Grease.

(IMO - 5 years between CV service is WAY too long...)

My standard mantra:

CV's have a hard life in 914's, especially the inboads. Aft of the engine, directly above the exhaust. Cheap grease will turn to clay from the heat.

Grease is not expensive but the job is pretty unpleasant so you don't want to be doing it any more often than you need to. Couple that with hard-to-replace CV's and the result is: use good grease...
Krieger
SWEPCO
dlestep
...after looking into this I found that the low price cv grease may have 3% MoS2, whereas the other expensive brands have upwards from 40% to 60%.
I purchased GKN Automotive's Schmierfett fur Gleichlaufgelenke (MoS2). Which loosly translated means MooSe shit on a stick.
Mark Henry
swepco or if I get the Lobro boot kits the grease that comes with it is fine.
Eric_Shea
CV's have a hard life in 914's, especially the inboads. Aft of the engine, directly above the exhaust. Cheap grease will turn to clay from the heat.

Grease is not expensive but the job is pretty unpleasant so you don't want to be doing it any more often than you need to. Couple that with hard-to-replace CV's and the result is: use good grease...

Could have said it better myself... so I didn't. Thanks Rich! biggrin.gif

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...868/6620271.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.