Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In today's market
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
dempwolf@pctribe.com
There is an original '70 914-6 Zero miles on a rebuilt motor and transmission, the trany has the original tail shifter. Whatever bodo was in the car it's all gone and nothing left but metal. Owner wanted to repaint the car in his favorite color, so part of the car is primer and the other is black. The original color is a blue. The wheels are original steel with hub caps. Everything on the car is perfect, the car is waiting for paint. What would it be worth to you? I'm thinking about it.
I've seen very, Very nice ones go for $40k before the market went south, don't think that car would bring the same price today, I believe. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks Karl
dw914er
5 dollars.... jk

not too sure. paint can be expensive, also hows the interior.
Johny Blackstain
If it's all there & if it's all done right, rolleyes.gif, I'd agree to $40k in yesterdays' market. You'd be lucky to get $30k today & more likely $25k.
URY914
Come on-it needs a paint job and has steel wheels.

10-15K tops.
Pat Garvey
It's all about wants & needs. Supply & demand.

Having not seen any pics of this car & knowing next to nothing about its history, nor its underside condition, etc - I wouldn't put any value on it. And, I want one just like it badly.

How bout some better info & pics.
Pat
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 24 2008, 09:21 PM) *

Come on-it needs a paint job and has steel wheels.

10-15K tops.

I won't disagree, did'nt notice the steel wheels, but I was talking finished & yesterday. Pats' right- more info & pics.
PanelBilly
I buy low. Its the way to make money. I'd take $6000 cash and I mean cash and try to steal it. That is if the car was worth $12-15. If that doesn't work, show them the math of how much you'd pay to bring the car up to standard and deduct that from the devalued prices or reference the so called perfect car that sold at BJ last year. Remind them that values have gone down from last year too. Maybe $6 is too high, don't be afraid to offer too less, you can go up, but not down
Porsche Rescue
If the car is as described it is worth at least $10,000, maybe more. A total investment of $20K would be fairly safe. If the drive train is "new" and done properly it alone is worth $5-7,000. A rust-free straight six roller cannot be found for less than $5K and that would be a bargain. Wheels are insignificant. Fourteen inch Fuchs can be bought for $250 a set. Good steel wheels with nice hubcaps are probably more rare and I like the look better on a stock six.

Click to view attachment
dempwolf@pctribe.com
Thanks for all your comments. The car will be perfect when done, no doubt about it, interior and exterior. Carlab wants 10k to finish the job by putting it all back together by painting it the original color and by removing the faulty undercoating which I saw and is a shiny black paint like finish instead of the dull tar looking stuff that the car came with. I have no pictures and if I did most would not be interested, only those that see this as a wonderful opportunity and to possibly finish it themselves. And that is NOT something I would be able to accomplish. If I had not bought the '72 I own now and needs attention, I would jump at the chance.
tod914
Demp I see your from Sherman Oaks. I lived out there from 97 -2001. There was a guy out there at the time that had 2 914-6s. An
Orange one and a Blue one. That wouldn't happen to be you by chance?
Did Carlab give you a price by chance for the finished car?
Lavanaut
QUOTE(dempwolf@pctribe.com @ Dec 26 2008, 08:52 AM) *

Everything on the car is perfect, the car is waiting for paint.

Taking that statement as true - meaning that $10k more and you will have a "perfect" 914-6 with a freshly rebuilt engine - I am really surprised to see such low prices being thrown out. Yes, even in today's market.

Not everyone is hurting for cash right now, and exceptional cars will always fetch a premium. As described I believe you could sell the car for mid-30s if you were patient, maybe more.

The "current market" is just that. It certainly doesn't mean these cars won't be worth as much as they were "yesterday". On the contrary, they'll likely be worth more.

Reid
carr914
But the question was "what is it worth as it sits"

$35,000 (finished value) - $10,000 (shop cost) - $5,000 (misc stuff) = $20,000

And to sell it for a profit, means you have to buy it for no more than $15,000, otherwise it's not worth doing unless you're made of money. Now if the plan was to get it perfect and keep it long-term confused24.gif

T.C.
Lavanaut
Agreed, what's it worth as it sits. Karl doesn't mention flipping or that it's a short-term investment. And taking at face value what we've been told (I am for the sake of argument), you can strike the $5k "misc. stuff" since he says everything is already perfect except for paint, and the $10k includes reassembly.

Really though I was surprised at the $6k, and $10-$15k numbers thrown out. I think at or just north of $20k you'd be sitting pretty when the dust settled.

...assuming you don't change the color of course. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.