Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 16v heads?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fieroguy
sorry to be such a newbe but is there a way to get these to work on the porsche engine?

16v heads.
http://www.araoengineering.com/VWheads.htm

if not, i bet they would make em for the porsche, considering pepole with porsches might have more money.
URY914
Well I would start by saying those heads are designed for a Type 1 VW engine.
carr914
And they are $4,400. Just have Jake build you a motor.

T.C.
So.Cal.914
I would think the cam and followers are going to wear excessively.
Katmanken
Nice job of fitting it all in there with unique rocker arms.

Those are big valves- not a lot of room for quench. Might be more efficient with smaller valves.

It's a drag head, not sure about long term reliability.

Note the welding in the cylinder head. And, the rocker arms are formed from stock parts that are cut and sectioned and welded... Thats a lot of weld on those rocker arms. That will increase the valvetrain mass and the spring force needed to control them...

Ken

Jake Raby
I am working with a developmental partner in Germany who has just completed a CNC DOHC (4 valve) head that can be applied to the TIV and 911 engine as well.

We should have some test units over the summer of 09...

They'll cost more than most engines, but the capabilities are never ending with them.
carr914
You're always on the cutting edge Jake, keep up the goodwork.

T.C.
Jake Raby
Will do!
Chris Hamilton
Watch out for those guys, I've seen a lot of posts on forums about people sending them money and never getting product. Google their name for more info.

edit: this is in reference to Arao engineering.
Jake Raby
Different guys..

I have been working with these people for over 4 years- never an issue.

Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Dec 25 2008, 07:12 PM) *

Different guys..

I have been working with these people for over 4 years- never an issue.

I meant Arao engineering in the first post.
Jake Raby
OH... Yeah, I have heard the same.

Plus their set up is still pushrod driven, or at least it was last time I looked at it. They used to make a TI exhaust ported TIV head, but it had some serious cooling issues.
bugat5speed
Click to view attachmentHi,

wanted to give you an update on the status of the Bug @ 5-Speed 4V DOHC-heads.

Robert Bernauer, my partner in this projevt, now did the first few flowbench tests with the heads. The results are really impressive and we expect a very good performance of the engine. The heads with no adjustments made (only mounted) were already better than the best type 4 race heads he compared.
He made 3 further tests with each time smaller adjustments and the flow data let us hope on a very good performance of the engine.
Flow at 25" is:

1mm - 38,2
2mm - 70,9
3mm - 107,9
4mm - 144,1
5mm - 183,3
6mm - 210,7
7mm - 230,7
8mm - 245,8
9mm - 256,0
10mm - 263,7
11mm - 267,6
12mm - 272,2
All measurements without manifold.
12 mm with a primitive manifold 285,4
13 mm with this manifold 289,1.

There are still some things to be done, so that we can expect a further improvement. But even if it stays like this we are very satisfied with what we have.
Next week I will finally have the die/mold for the manifolds. As soon as we have the first casted manifolds Robert will test the whole range again with manifolds.
More info to follow.

Martin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.