Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling all painters...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
My dad was asking where to get paint to use in a sprayer. Not necessarily for body panels, but just little things. I told him I'd ask for him. Ideas?
Mark D.
SirAndy
I've got mine from Porsche ...

shades.gif Andy
BMXerror
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 25 2008, 04:32 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

dry.gif Next!
Mark D.
dflesburg
my GT got PPG Deltron Guards Red from a Car Paint Store

eriks GreatPumpkin got Tractor Supply Allison Chalmers Orange

alexs FlyingPumpkin will get Tractor Supply AC-Orange

for engine parts we use Ceramic Spray from FLAPS
for black we use Rustoleum High Temp Grill Paint
for headers and mufflers we use Super High temp Ceramic Header Paint from either FLAPS or Eastwood.

for Elenas VW Cabrio we got paint from Smyth Automotive ( FLAPS here in Cincy that has a paint store )
SirAndy
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Dec 25 2008, 07:17 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

dry.gif Next!
Mark D.

Actually, i was serious ...

When i had my car repainted, we ordered the paint from Porsche in Germany.

In retrospect, i wouldn't do that again. Too expensive for no added value.
bye1.gif Andy
BMXerror
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 25 2008, 08:52 PM) *

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Dec 25 2008, 07:17 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

dry.gif Next!
Mark D.

Actually, i was serious ...

When i had my car repainted, we ordered the paint from Porsche in Germany.

In retrospect, i wouldn't do that again. Too expensive for no added value.
bye1.gif Andy

I know you were. I was just more looking for retailers who sell that TYPE of paint. Not specific colors. I doubt Fiat would be much help in that department (my dad's car is a Fiat 124 Spyder). Like I said, it's not so much for external body panels. He just thinks that for non-essentials, it'd be better than a rattle can. Thanks anyways. beerchug.gif
Mark D.
PanelBilly
I got mine from the Corvette restoration shop down the street. The fellow who works there showed me how they tested many different types of base and clear before settling on the brand. They poared a measured amount in containers and identified the amount of schrinkage over a years period. I can't remember the name of the brand, but I'm going to the shop tomarrow and will report back. By the way some of the brands they didn't decide to use had shrunk down to a fraction of the original amount.

highways
http://www.finishmaster.com/locations.cfm

dog.gif dog.gif dog.gif
scotty b
Open the phone book and find yourt local paint supply shop. Finishmaster usually has one in every major area. Mattos is who I use. Each carries different lines, Fnishmasters high end is Glasurit, mid line is RM. Mattos high end is Spies Hecker, mid line is Dupont. Can't go wrong with any of those smile.gif
Phoenix-MN
NAPA

Their paint is re-labled by Sherwin Williams for them. NAPA stores are every where.

Paul
degreeoff
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 26 2008, 05:14 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Open the phone book and find yourt local paint supply shop. Finishmaster usually has one in every major area. Mattos is who I use. Each carries different lines, Fnishmasters high end is Glasurit, mid line is RM. Mattos high end is Spies Hecker, mid line is Dupont. Can't go wrong with any of those smile.gif
[/quote]
:agree:Mattos, its where I went
VaccaRabite
There are two shops local to me that I use, but neither of them are chains.
One is Broadway Auto Parts, their paint selection is not really deep (but they will order in anything they don't have, and they have a paint guy on staff).

Zach

BMXerror
Thank you all. This is really helpful! I love the -World! beerchug.gif
Mark D.
orange914
i'm not sure what your looking to paint... the 914 misc. or fiat misc. or just something you want a better quality of paint on. on my oddball projects i didn't care about the color, i used to get mis- mixed paint from my local auto paint shop for real cheap. dry.gif

mike
Ace
www.TCPGlobal.com The Leader In Discount Autobody Paints, Tools & Supplies!

This where I went for my supplies. They have just about everything you'd need for body and paint.
JRust
QUOTE(Ace @ Dec 27 2008, 09:15 PM) *

This where I went for my supplies. They have just about everything you'd need for body and paint.

wow! 1st post sounds suspiciously like an advertisement. DO you own a 914 confused24.gif . Seriously though this is a great post. Always nice to know what paint people are using. Especially when you are in the market to get some smile.gif
scotty b
Ad or not buying paint form a distance is a BAD idea. I really shouldn't have to explain why. Buy locally
Ace
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 27 2008, 09:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Ace @ Dec 27 2008, 09:15 PM) *

wow! 1st post sounds suspiciously like an advertisement. DO you own a 914 confused24.gif . Seriously though this is a great post. Always nice to know what paint people are using. Especially when you are in the market to get some smile.gif

I realized after I posted this that it sounded like an ad, but I only copied the URL from the site and must have grabbed too much.

Ace
QUOTE(scotty b @ Dec 28 2008, 11:57 AM) *

Ad or not buying paint form a distance is a BAD idea. I really shouldn't have to explain why. Buy locally

True that, but living in the sticks, there isn't a whole lot of choice in auto body supply places. This particular place has given me good service and products. They don't give the personal advice that a brick and mortar place would give, you have to be an informed buyer.
SLKWrx
NAPA here as well. They did a great job with everything. Paint came out great and a decent price too.
justme
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Dec 25 2008, 07:48 PM) *

my GT got PPG Detron Guards Red

eriks GreatPumpkin got Tractor Supply Allison Chalmers Orange

alexs GreatPumpkin clone will get Tractor Supply AC-Orange

Any pictures of GreatPumpkin?

How was the tractor paint to work with? Like the results?

Thanks beer.gif
charliew
Tractor paint is enamel paint. Enamel paint is for lawn furniture and anything that will get rough use. Tractors, trailers, etc. It usually fades prematurely unless you add a hardner and then it gets really hard and will chip but it won't scratch very easily.

There's no such thing as good cheap auto paint. Cheaper auto paints just take more passes to cover good. More passes means more chance to mess up and a better chance of runs and sags. There is less pigment in cheaper paints usually.
dflesburg
Enamel paint is for lawn furniture

PPG Deltron is Accrylic Urathane Car Paint and costs $600 a gallon for Guards Red. So I don't know where you got your info... but you are wrong.

Tractor Supply Paint is a very high quality Catalized Enamel and costs around $120 a gallon. It is a three part paint and if you mix it properly it works great.

The reason we picked it is its almost a balls on match to Tangerine and I dont have to worry about having some bonehead at the paint store mix it up and get one batch a little different from the next. Since both my boys cars are going to be the same color. And odds are at some point I will be required to do touch ups on these cars. (they will be driven to High School and football games and the mall) I wanted a paint that I could get when I need it and matches everytime.

If you don't like my solution. I could care less. My cars run and I like them. I am here to help, not provide misinformation or look down on anyone else.

There are good low cost alternatives to Super expensive Paints. ValueLine is a PPG cost alternative that all the body shops used to fix your cars.
justme
Great! I'm not doing a show car, just a AX/daily blaster with low budget in mind. Do you know if they carry a couple different lines? I saw a gallon of the Allison Chalmers (tangerine) for $32 in my local TS. I like the idea of an easy touch-up along the way and very easy on the wallet.
As for fade
It's only on the road April thru Nov at best ( read winter in New England )
It's in a garage when I'm not driving it
Wouldn't a good wax that protects paints from UV help?
And, it's $32 buck a gallon. I'm not expecting alot ( low expectations are easy to excede ) biggrin.gif

Thanks
Richard Casto
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 4 2009, 08:28 AM) *
PPG Deltron is Catalized Enamel Car Paint and costs $800 a gallon

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 4 2009, 08:28 AM) *
Tractor Supply Paint is a very high quality Catalized Enamel and costs around $120 a gallon

I can't speak to the quality of paint targets at heavy equipment vs. that targeted for automobiles. I suspect that while there will be differences it's not as large as the price differential would imply. Maybe it's the same exact paint for all I know.

It reminds me of a trip to a local home center store a few years ago. I was looking for some galvinized metal pipe. I found the exact same pipe in two locations in the store. One was in the area for fences and the other where they had some playground kits. The pole for playground was about 2-4x the price of the exact same pole in the fence area. I couldn't tell a difference between the two.

My point is that some products are priced based upon what the market will support (shock!). Someone buying fence posts would not pay the inflated price found in the playground section. But someone who is putting up a play area in their yard for thier kids may just suck it up and buy that one expensive poll and move on.

Same deal with the guys who are re-painting their large farm tractors. They are not going to pay $800/gallon due to the Qty needed. So the suppliers find the price point that does work (and still allows them to make a profit). They may or may not skimp on the paint formulation as well. Those who are repainting a car may not be happy with a $800/gallon price tag, but apparently most will suck it up and pay. So the price remains at that point. Bottom line, auto paint is probably overpriced IMHO.
charliew
OK sorry to make someone unhappy. But tractor supply doesn't sell guards red. I painted a fiero a few years ago with ppg deltron guards red and didn't remember the cost recently posted so I called my ppg dealer and asked what the retail price of deltron single stage guards red was with catlyast. 1 gal of gar with catylast is 602.00. Thats not base coat clear coat. I didn't price that. I can promise you the ppg will hold up much better than the tractor supply enamel that the local store just quoted me for case flambeau red at 29.99 a gal and 12.99 for a hardner to go in it. I will not spend the time on a car that it takes to get it ready and the other cost of the materials and then put 45.00 paint on it. I do have a case and after using the ts paint I went back and used a ppg single stage on the sheetmetal because it just looks soooo much better after 10 years.

Paint is just like any other thing you get what you pay for.

On the gal. tubing there is conduit and gal. pipe there is a lot of difference in thickness in the two. One is a water pipe and the other is tubing. I guess play stuff could be priced fifferent from fence posts. I don't care about that discussion but I do know paints.

There are other cheaper paints at the ppg dealer. He has shopline paints that are less expensive and a lot of production shops use that brand. Those repairs are usually going on cars that will change hands pretty soon.

I used a stainless steel paint, in a red can, from eastwood or restomotive (por15) I don't remember which that needs to be cured after spraying that has held up really well on my blazer exhaust and a case tractor.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 5 2009, 01:25 PM) *

On the gal. tubing there is conduit and gal. pipe there is a lot of difference in thickness in the two. I guess play stuff could be priced fifferent from fence posts.

You are right about the conduit vs fence post being different. But this really was the same exact pipe. Same diameter, same thickness, etc.

Sorry for the hijack.
dflesburg
You can argue with me all you want but everything that costs too much isnt always better.

Thats BS.

Just order some bolts from the porsche dealer. Then go find them at McMaster Carr.

Whatever.

I am using Tractor Supply paint on Eriks Car and in my opinion, anyone who buys stuff from Eastwood likes to pay too much for stuff.

Some people think if they pay more they always get quality.

Sometimes you just pay too much thats why we used to call it "getting ripped off".
dflesburg
here is a link to what I use...( damn wine and cheese eaters put $600 paint on a fiero - I wouldnt pay $600 for whole fiero )

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...rue&cFlag=1

yeah Porsche made Tractors, so did Lamborgini.
charliew
Your knowledge of fieros is probably as good as it is about paint.

I have a 914 I also have several fieros. The 88 fiero is a far newer version of a midengine car than the 914.

At any rate the ppg acrylic enamel is delstar and the deltron is a urethane. There is a difference.

You can talk all the bs you want but check on what a good shop will use if they expect to get good results and wants the customer to come back and ask them if they will use tractor supply enamel on their paint job.

I do all my own bodywork and all my own paint.

I have painted for a living and know several professional painters and none of them would call tractor supply paint a good auto paint for a nice car.
dflesburg
You are right Deltron is Accrylic Urethane not a Catalized Enamel but compared to the laquer we used to paint with they spray about the same.

My mom had a Fiero. LOL.

dflesburg
Great Pumpkin... (fall of 2007)

Click to view attachment
dflesburg
My car:

Click to view attachment

Flying Pumpkin: (waiting to be redone)

Click to view attachment

charliew
All nice cars, thats what everyone strives for.
dflesburg
indeed.
justme
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Mar 5 2009, 12:13 PM) *

here is a link to what I use...( damn wine and cheese eaters put $600 paint on a fiero - I wouldnt pay $600 for whole fiero )

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...rue&cFlag=1

yeah Porsche made Tractors, so did Lamborgini.

Thanks for adding the pictures aktion035.gif

I just went to my local and they have the AC Restoration in stock. Did you use the hardener they have? For what I want out of the finish, and $$$ out of my wallet this looks like a great(pumkin) fit!

Thanks,
Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.