Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pmo carbs and pissed off!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
Yep....out on a 55+ day here in the DC area on a newly rediscovered back road when I noticed my throttle wasn't returning to idle......so I stop and look and cant see any binding , blip it and off I go as itseemed well, going back towards home that is....well within the space of 5 min it got worse went from a 1500 idle to 3-4 k idle and I pull over again.

look under look uptop and I notice it has gotten REALLY stiff! so I start wigglin and wagglin pieces then taking off ball connectors and WHAM problem found.

It was the bell crank do hickie on the carb manifold...the one that joins the crossbar rod to the through the tin to the tranny crank...it was stiff as shit.

Well I know I greased it since putting it on (only about 100 miles maybe 200) and it was cool to the touch...so what gives! confused24.gif I needed to get towed...Merry christmas eh? Only thig I can think of is the supper tight tolerances and the whatver you call it of dissimilar metals ( bronse and SS) caused something weird to go down....either way I couldnt pry that thing off! it bent and now that whole bank needs to come off to fix it....ARGH! mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

BTW you sixer gut's will know what piece to which I refer
GeorgeRud
I had a similar problem a few years ago. I seem to remember that the factory -6s had plastic bushings instead of bronze, so that could be a bit of the problem. I removed, cleaned and polished the surfaces, and then reassembled with white grease (Lubriplate). It should move with no resistance whatsoever, so something is definitely binding and causing the linkage to stick.

Even if it costs time, at least it's not expensive to fix. You might try faxing Richard Paar @ PMO if he has any other hints.
degreeoff
Thats what got me, it was resistance free and I did grease it (heavy grease) it just squeezed it all out because of the tight tolerances.... I just would have expected a different set of trouble signs. Not a great one minute and shot 5 later.....I may just bore it and sleeve it. I will call Richard (he's on speed dial) and see what he thinks?

Josh
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(degreeoff @ Dec 25 2008, 05:31 PM) *

Thats what got me, it was resistance free and I did grease it (heavy grease) it just squeezed it all out because of the tight tolerances.... I just would have expected a different set of trouble signs. Not a great one minute and shot 5 later.....I may just bore it and sleeve it. I will call Richard (he's on speed dial) and see what he thinks?

Josh

Josh, sorry to hear of your ...umm ...... event today. It was really a nice day today. Started to take the sixer out today, but would have had to move too many cars! Let me know what you end up doing for the fix. Mike.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.