Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Remove steering rack and pinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
I've removed the complete suspension, except the rack and pinion. The Hayne's manual says 'Detach the steering shaft from the lower universal joint by removing the self locking nut and bolt'.

Where is the universal joint and how do I get to it?

What are the 2 bolts, that hold the diamond shapped plate (on the bottom) for?

What is the single bolt (on top) for?

Any pics would be helpful. Thanks
Gint
Those bolts you mentioned are for the rack itself. *Don't* remove them. You need to remove the pinch bolt bolt from the column inside the car at the u-joint nearest the front bulkhead. The bolt has to come all of the way out, as the shaft has an indent that the bolt goes "through". Hard to explain. I could snap a pic if you need it Rob.
Eric_Shea
Under your dash toward the front bulkhead. What Mike said agree.gif take the bolts out. Put something like a used tire under the rack as it comes crashing down (not light) once that u-joint is released. My u-joint was a bit sticky and held up the removal until I dropped back under the dash and just tapped it lightly.

Good luck. smash.gif
watsonrx13
So, I need to go inside the car and remove the bolt nearest to the steering rack and remove it? I wont need to remove the carpet or anything else in the car? Any pics would be helpful.

If I removed any of the bolts on the steering rack, but put them back on, is there any problem I might encounter later?

Thanks guys.
Gint
You should be fine. I was trying to communicate that they didn't need to be removed in order to remove the rack. Personally, I don't want to mess with the rack until I'm sure I won't screw it up. I'll get some pics before the sun sets completely, but I won't post 'em until later.

Go to go back to welding!
Gint
Grabbed a couple of shots. The last u-joint on the column, nearest the front bulkhead, on the inside of the car:
Gint
The rack end. See that notch? If you don't remove (not just loosen) that bolt from the u-joint, the rack will not come out.
Gint
I'm not absolutely certain, but you'll probably have to pull that MC before you drop the rack. I don't have a complete 914 on the premises at the moment to look to be sure. wink.gif
watsonrx13
Thanks Gint, I'll check tomorrow, I'm done for today. BTW, what are you welding, I thought your car is at the auto body? I noticed the post with the mommy wagon, but didn't see any welding project.
Gint
Did you see that pallet rack with wheels under the lift? That was the top half of a 12' high rack. I had to weld feet on the bottom, a stretcher across the bottom, wheels, and the top stretcher had to be cut off and welded back on, lower. All so it would fit under the lift. Tonight I'm working on my previously started welder cart.
watsonrx13
Gint, looks like you were busy today. When you finish your welder cart, post it, I need to build one myself.
Gint
The pallet rack and garage cleanup was yesterday. Today was a full day at the sweat factory, and home to finish the cart. I posted a pic of the welding cart in this thread.
watsonrx13
Gint, you were correct, I needed to remove the M/C. Here's the shot of the M/C before removal.
watsonrx13
I found the universal joint, the Haynes manual refered to, it was in the passenger compartment. Again Gint, you were correct in recommending removal of the lower nut and bolt. After removal, all I had to do was clear the carpet and it fell out. I had placed 2 jack stands underneath the steering rack, so there was no damage.
watsonrx13
Here's a shot of the steering rack removed from the car.

Again, thanks to everyone for their suggestions. The project continues.
L8Apex
Mmmm... Rack and Peanut steering......

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.