Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some ideas for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
stirthepot.gif Ok so I found a 914 on ebay for $300 that has no engine or tranny. I am just wondering wether it is a good idea to get. I would like to turn it into a rally car to race. Just wondering if it would be best to get a complete 914 instead or if I could go with this one and just find an engine and tranny to put in it. Main answers I am looking for is what would be the best and least expensive route.
Here is the link if you guys want to check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1318
James w00t.gif
Carlitos Way
The car seems to have potential. However... you will hav to consider the cost of shipping, which is substantially higher for a non-running vehicle. Make sure you add that into your equation. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to ask you about $1000 just for shipping, turning a $300 investment into a $300 investment... before you've even seen it.

Winnetka is actually close to me, about 20 miles. If you need a PPI, let me know and I will do what I can to check it out.

regards,

C:>
PeeGreen 914
chair.gif Save your money and buy one that is already close to what you want. You will be way ahead since you generally get a fully built car for 1/2 to 1/3 the price. When the time is right I will help James. Just wait a while and save for it.

Besides, you do need to get one before you get married or you'll never get one laugh.gif
jcambo7
Yeah that is what I kind of expected. I did noticed another 914 though for 960 with the engine and tranny in it. It looks good other than some body work. It is in Arroyo Grande, Cali. Might be a good deal.
Here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1308
James biggrin.gif idea.gif
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ Dec 26 2008, 05:52 PM) *

The car seems to have potential. However... you will hav to consider the cost of shipping, which is substantially higher for a non-running vehicle. Make sure you add that into your equation. I wouldn't be surprised if they were to ask you about $1000 just for shipping, turning a $300 investment into a $300 investment... before you've even seen it.

Winnetka is actually close to me, about 20 miles. If you need a PPI, let me know and I will do what I can to check it out.

regards,

C:>

jcambo7
Yeaht thats kind of what I thought Jonny. Check out this 914 for 960 though. Here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...A1%7C240%3A1308
James icon_bump.gif

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Dec 26 2008, 05:53 PM) *

chair.gif Save your money and buy one that is already close to what you want. You will be way ahead since you generally get a fully built car for 1/2 to 1/3 the price. When the time is right I will help James. Just wait a while and save for it.

Besides, you do need to get one before you get married or you'll never get one laugh.gif

Todd Enlund
You'll be $$ ahead to buy a whole car... however, you will have no idea what lurks beneath the skin. I am thoroughly enjoying taking my car apart, and I look forward to putting it back together and fixing what needs fixing... and making it EXACTLY what I want, not just close. I'll have more money into the car than it will be worth... to anyone but ME. Depends on what you want and how picky you are.

Gather opinions, and make the call. Engine and trannys are not hard to find.
jcambo7
Yeah I know that they are not hard to find. It's the money that you need to have to buy the engine and tranny for the 914 or any Porsche for that matter. hmmm...I dont know. I will find and figure something out. I just really want to get a 914. Putting more money into the car than it's worth is not a problem for me cuz the car is for me to have fun with and race with someday hopefully. unsure.gif idea.gif smile.gif
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Dec 26 2008, 06:09 PM) *

You'll be $$ ahead to buy a whole car... however, you will have no idea what lurks beneath the skin. I am thoroughly enjoying taking my car apart, and I look forward to putting it back together and fixing what needs fixing... and making it EXACTLY what I want, not just close. I'll have more money into the car than it will be worth... to anyone but ME. Depends on what you want and how picky you are.

Gather opinions, and make the call. Engine and trannys are not hard to find.

PeeGreen 914
The other car is being sold by Jonathan. He is a member here and a very good guy. He now owns GRP. I doubt it will go for so little as it looks very nice. We can talk more about it later James.
markb
Email or PM Jonathan (hwgunner at msn dot com) to ask about the car. It does not have to sell thru Ebay.
boxstr
Buy a whole car. That way you can drive it and you will know wheter you even like drivng a 914.
So many people want a $500. roller and then they pull it apart and it sits for months, years and they never get it together. Or they get it together and they don't enjoy driving the car and try to sell it for what they have into the car, that doesn't always work.
Just my $3.75 worth.
Good luck
CCLINROLLERCITY
jcambo7
Thank you. I dont think I will be buying anytime soon. I would like to save at least 5 grand before I buy one. If I had that amount right now I would jump on that deal. It looks like it's in great condition. Oh well. Some day I will own one. biggrin.gif aktion035.gif
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 26 2008, 08:39 PM) *

Email or PM Jonathan (hwgunner at msn dot com) to ask about the car. It does not have to sell thru Ebay.

jcambo7
I know I would love driving a 914 once I get one. Mainly because I have been in one and know exactly how much fun they are to drive just by riding in one. To me if it's enough fun to ride in one it will be a lot more fun to drive. Plus my brother in law Phoenix 914-6GT all ready said I could drive his 914 so I'm excited about that. I just wish the weather was dry up here in Everett to drive it before I go back home to Oklahoma City, OK. I guess I will have to come back home in the summer when it's drier.
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 26 2008, 09:53 PM) *

Buy a whole car. That way you can drive it and you will know wheter you even like drivng a 914.
So many people want a $500. roller and then they pull it apart and it sits for months, years and they never get it together. Or they get it together and they don't enjoy driving the car and try to sell it for what they have into the car, that doesn't always work.
Just my $3.75 worth.
Good luck
CCLINROLLERCITY

Todd Enlund
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 26 2008, 08:07 PM) *

Plus my brother in law Phoenix 914-6GT...

Dude, how unfortunate...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Dec 26 2008, 09:37 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 26 2008, 08:07 PM) *

Plus my brother in law Phoenix 914-6GT...

Dude, how unfortunate...

slap.gif laugh.gif
PanelBilly
Hey Jon, Where do we sign up to be your brother-in-law so we can drive your car?
jcambo7
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 27 2008, 12:16 AM) *

Hey Jon, Where do we sign up to be your brother-in-law so we can drive your car?

Sorry I only have one sister and she is taken with two kids! chair.gif laugh.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 26 2008, 10:16 PM) *

You could have driven the last time you wre over. All you have to do is ask. aktion035.gif
PanelBilly
I actually think it may have been more fun for me to be the passenger
PeeGreen 914
Anytime Billy aktion035.gif

You should come out to an SCCA autocross. Then you can actually ride while autocrossing. My wife loves to go to those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.