Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to learn about 914's?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcambo7
I am looking for an accurate and reputable website where I can learn about the 914 and how they originated and everything about them basically. type.gif aktion035.gif flag.gif
KaptKaos
welcome.png

Umm.....

/looks around

I think you found it. The search function is your friend.

popcorn[1].gif
McMark
Yup, more info here than anyplace else on the net. Just gotta do a little digging.
dw914er
we are your guide.
BMXerror
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Dec 26 2008, 07:56 PM) *

Where to learn about 914's?

Underneath one! poke.gif
Mark D.
PanelBilly
Huh? What's a 914?

This place might actually be where you learn to laughing at yourself, Re: How to spend tons of $ and all your spare time bring rusty sports cars back to life
jcambo7
Well than if you guys are my guide than I will be the reader. Start teaching me if you all don't mind. Tell me the things I need to know about 914's and everything that is common knowledge about them. I am ready and I am willing to learn it all. Just need someone to teach me that is all.
biggrin.gif idea.gif popcorn[1].gif pray.gif
PanelBilly
First lesson, wax on wax off....no I mean rust on, rust off
jcambo7
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Dec 27 2008, 12:18 AM) *

First lesson, wax on wax off....no I mean rust on, rust off

Yeah I have learned that one from Jon. That rust is one of the most common annoyance's of 914's. mad.gif smash.gif
r_towle
welcome.png

Go look in the members technical forum or the classic threads...loads of how to threads in there.

Rich
jcambo7
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 27 2008, 12:35 AM) *

welcome.png

Go look in the members technical forum or the classic threads...loads of how to threads in there.

Rich

Thanks I will go and check them out. biggrin.gif
type47
I'm sure someone will correct any of my following information if in error; please do.

The 914, type 47 biggrin.gif , was a joint project between VW, who needed a sporty car offering to replace the Karmann Ghia and a platform to use their new type IV engine, and Porsche, who needed an entry level car to replace the 912. between 1970 and 1976, about 119,000 914's were built of which about 3300 were 914-6's. the early -4 car (70-73) had a 1.7 L fuel injected motor, replaced by a 2.0 L (73-76) all using D-Jetronic EFI. a 1.8 L (74-75) was also offered which used L Jetronic EFI (the "same" system later used in 928's).

so, there is a 1 paragraph start driving.gif
xperu
One of the first things you need to ask yourself is "What am I going to us the car for" Daily driver, Autocross, combo of both. Next start looking for rust damage i.e. under the battery tray and pull the longitudinal covers and inspect for rust using a screwdriver and do some serious poking around on the surounding metal. In my case the previous owner had done some real nice fiberglass overlay on the rust under the battery tray and I didn't see any rust, but when I pulled the long covers, I found damage caused from the battery acid. You can buy almost every body metal repair parts for the 914 form Automobile Atlanta, Pelican Parts to name a few places you can find many parts on this forum in the classified section. You can spend a lot of money on this car if you don't watch out, so have a plan. Concentrate on the body, and drive train first, take your time and have a vision of what you want the car to be in the future. You have come to the right place for tech info here, believe me I have asked a lot of questions here. Welcome and best of luck. Mike
cooltimes

Beyond what others already said:
Get a good sense of humor, The 914 forums everywhere are made up of all kinds of owners. Some are experts but most are like you, in the inquiry mode.
Keep in mind some have deeper pockets than others in their quest for the way the 914 should have been made so a few 914's will be better represented than the average 914.
Top of the heap of info you will learn is, It's the people that make a car like a 914 great. Keep that foremost and you will become a life long"teener".

Very important. Do a search in Google or your favorite search engine for:

DIY Porsche 914

Bookmark the search results as a single bookmark and visit each place as time permits.

Read any posts by Damp Dave (Dave Darling) as he has BTDT experiences and has learned enough to know how to tutor any new interests in the 914.
Read Dr. 914's tip book for a real one person's view and probable solutions of the most common problems with owning and driving a 914.

Cooltimes
race914
Here's a good 914World link if you haven't seen this yet:

http://www.914world.com/specs/914info.php

welcome.png

JeffBowlsby
There is some info about original 914s at the links in my signature. smile.gif Help yourself.

They seem to be down for maintenance at the moment, come back and try them later when you have some time.
jc914
beerchug.gif welcome.png
tod914
Here's a few good books to aquire;

Porsche 914 * 914-6 by Brian Long
914 and 914-6 Porsche - a resoter's guide by Dr b johnson
Hanyes book mechanical
burton73
You have found the greatest group of people on 914 right here. They will answer your questions but try to look in the search area first. As you are looking to get one for yourself, you will want to find out the bad spots where the rust hangs out. It is the same in most cars. I may be spoiled but I am in California and have cars from here that really have almost no rust to speak of. Cluck tubes problems.

When I see these rust repairs on the searches it is amazing how the guys fix them but it makes me sick to see these cars rusted and trashed so bad. Back in the 80s lots of people thought of them as shit boxes and they sat by the side of the house and yards after they broke.

Take your time. There are so many cars for sale now. Just last summer there where very few cars for sale. Cash is king and some great deals are to be had.

When you get you car Dr. 914’s book is a must TECH TIPS 700 FOR PORSCHE 914 BY DR. 914

Bob
welcome.png
dw914er
i think roadglue.com also had a wiki on 914's

the docs 700 tips is a must have for any 914 owner. Also, Dave Darling has a wonderful write up on the 914's on the pelican parts site.
jcambo7
QUOTE(dw914er @ Dec 27 2008, 08:39 PM) *

i think roadglue.com also had a wiki on 914's

the docs 700 tips is a must have for any 914 owner. Also, Dave Darling has a wonderful write up on the 914's on the pelican parts site.

Thanks
Where would I look to find docs 700 tips at? I did a goodle search and found nothing at all refferring to cars. idea.gif
Sleepin
Dr. 914's books can be found at Automobile Atlanta for some reason. biggrin.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Dec 29 2008, 08:32 PM) *

Dr. 914's books can be found at Automobile Atlanta for some reason. biggrin.gif

Awesome thank you very much. Time for me to read up! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.