Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Remove Side Panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jesiv
Ok so how do you remove side panels? Just drill out the rivets? WTF.gif And then how do you re-install? blink.gif

Pics and advice would help!

Regards,

James
So.Cal.914
Been awhile but I believe there should be two bolts, one at each end. a few screws along the bottom and then the rivits on top.
jesiv
So you have to drill out the rivets?!! WTF.gif
So.Cal.914
Yes. Keep the bit as small as possible
jesiv
So where do you get the replacements?

Regards,

James
r_towle
because you will want to do this every year I suggest screws.
I put them back in with small stainless screws to they can easily come off again.

Also, on the bottom, put 1/4 thick rubber washers between the rocker covers and the longitudinal...this keeps a space there that allows water and dirt a route to fall out.

Rich
ericread
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 26 2008, 10:51 PM) *

I put them back in with small stainless screws to they can easily come off again.

Also, on the bottom, put 1/4 thick rubber washers between the rocker covers and the longitudinal...this keeps a space there that allows water and dirt a route to fall out.

Rich

agree.gif

You'll want to takes these off on a yearly basis to remove the accumulated dirt and to inspect the longs. Use SS screws - they actually look pretty good.

Eric
echocanyons
I believe the original was a plastic "rivet".

I recently ordered an install pkg. which comes with all of the pieces you need.

Screws are a great idea, I think I will go that route next time.
boxstr
If you want to do a complete removal you will need to remove or drill out all of the rivets. Then the three ten MM screws on the bottom that hold the rocker panels on, they are usually so rusty that they break off. You can drill them out later or drill next to them and use stainless screw to hold the panel in place.
Then there are the two screws, these are located on either end. Usually tough to get at, so you may want to jack the car up to make it easier to get to them. Some have a small nut and bolt, plus the rubber spacers. For those you can use rubber hose cut to the same thickness.
Aluminum pop rivets are cheap, that is usually the way I secure the top of the panels.
CCLINRIVETTHIS
number6
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 26 2008, 10:51 PM) *

Rich

agree.gif

plus, for long-term protection, i would POR15.
ericread
QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 27 2008, 11:44 PM) *

plus, for long-term protection, i would POR15.

POR15, POR16, whatever it takes...

laugh.gif

Eric
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 27 2008, 07:02 PM) *

Aluminum pop rivets are cheap, that is usually the way I secure the top of the panels.
CCLINRIVETTHIS

I believe that using the aluminum rivets may cause corrosion because of the difference of metals. I would suggest plastic or stainless.
Gint
I agree that the rocker panels should come off and the area under them cleaned, inspected and rust treated (if necessary). If you've never done it since you've owned your 914, you should defiitely do so.

Once you've done that, some of this advice should be put into perspective. Most 914's don't drive in any kind of environment that require those rocker panels to come off once a year. Your specific driving habits and the conditions in which you drive a 914 will dictate how often they should come off and be inspected. Mine don't need to come off once a year by any stretch.
Slick914
A board member sells the plastic rivets. I just bought some from him about a month ago...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=0#entry739856

QUOTE(jesiv @ Dec 26 2008, 11:53 PM) *

So you have to drill out the rivets?!! WTF.gif

If your car still has the plastic rivets, you need to push the center pin down and out of the rivet. The rivet can then be lifted out. If they were replaced with aluminum ones, need to drill them out. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.